COVID-19 vaccine #22 & general vaccine conversation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know my son had the flu vaccine and had no side effets at all ( he chose to have it )

Seems there are outbreaks of scarlet fever
My daughter had it when she was 3 and she was extremely ill after. Never let her have it again. Think it affects everybody differently but I don't think they should be giving it to young children.

Reactions: 4
My daughter had it when she was 3 and she was extremely ill after. Never let her have it again. Think it affects everybody differently but I don't think they should be giving it to young children.
My sons always had it ,once he had a rash under his nose but no other symptoms.

Reactions: 3
This may be a ignorant question. But how do they diagnose and differentiate between all of these viral infections?
You quoted something about Group A Strep which isn't a virus, it's a bacterium.

Viruses can be swabbed for, but diagnoses can be made based on the clinical presentation and context - symptoms, known contacts, community prevalence, testing, other diagnostics, disease progression, clinical suspicion. E.g. if someone lives in a household with people who have covid symptoms, some of whom have tested positive, and that person has the same symptoms - even if they don't test or test negative, we would still suspect them of having covid. Could be something else but the likelihood is covid. E.g. on xray covid lungs look very different to flu/pneumonia lungs. Different diseases also respond differently to different treatments and can progress differently, which can also be an indicator. For example, initial syphilis and herpes infections can be pretty similar (flu-like illness, 1+ small lesions) but primary syphilis progresses to secondary syphilis, whereas herpes may become dormant or cause repeated outbreaks. At that stage they are much more distinguishable from each other. I think people often fail to understand that healthcare especially initially is to an extent best-guess guesswork that takes into accounts risks, benefits, and likelihoods.

People can also have multiple infections at once - including both viral and bacterial infections at the same time, or multiple viral infections. You could have flu and then develop a secondary bacterial chest infection with it, or be co-infected with flu and covid. Diagnosis and treatment decisions aren't always and solely dependant on test results, but can be informed by the whole clinical picture. And it's good they are not because tests especially microbiology diagnostics take time and you can't necessarily wait to treat.

Re GAS, because I think it's worth highlighting. You can carry GAS in the throat and on the skin without necessarily developing any of the numerous bacterial infections and post-infection complications it causes (strep throat/tonsillitis, impetigo, scarlet fever, rheumatic fever as a later complication if the scarlet fever isn't treated, and also the invasive infections (IGAS) that includes necrotizing fasciitis, streptococcal toxic shock syndrome). It can cause mild infections and very nasty, deadly infections. GAS can be cultured from swabs for e.g. if it's in the throat, but for scarlet fever doctors would normally go off the clinical picture to diagnose. If someone has an iGAS infection they will be unwell enough to be in hospital and blood cultures would be done but again, they wouldn't wait for the results back they would start treatment based on the clinical picture.

You cannot develop immunity to GAS and you cannot build up immunity to GAS by being exposed to GAS or other pathogens.

You quoted something about Group A Strep which isn't a virus, it's a bacterium.

Viruses can be swabbed for, but diagnoses can be made based on the clinical presentation and context - symptoms, known contacts, community prevalence, testing, other diagnostics, disease progression, clinical suspicion. E.g. if someone lives in a household with people who have covid symptoms, some of whom have tested positive, and that person has the same symptoms - even if they don't test or test negative, we would still suspect them of having covid. Could be something else but the likelihood is covid. E.g. on xray covid lungs look very different to flu/pneumonia lungs. Different diseases also respond differently to different treatments and can progress differently, which can also be an indicator. For example, initial syphilis and herpes infections can be pretty similar (flu-like illness, 1+ small lesions) but primary syphilis progresses to secondary syphilis, whereas herpes may become dormant or cause repeated outbreaks. At that stage they are much more distinguishable from each other. I think people often fail to understand that healthcare especially initially is to an extent best-guess guesswork that takes into accounts risks, benefits, and likelihoods.

People can also have multiple infections at once - including both viral and bacterial infections at the same time, or multiple viral infections. You could have flu and then develop a secondary bacterial chest infection with it, or be co-infected with flu and covid. Diagnosis and treatment decisions aren't always and solely dependant on test results, but can be informed by the whole clinical picture. And it's good they are not because tests especially microbiology diagnostics take time and you can't necessarily wait to treat.

Re GAS, because I think it's worth highlighting. You can carry GAS in the throat and on the skin without necessarily developing any of the numerous bacterial infections and post-infection complications it causes (strep throat/tonsillitis, impetigo, scarlet fever, rheumatic fever as a later complication if the scarlet fever isn't treated, and also the invasive infections (IGAS) that includes necrotizing fasciitis, streptococcal toxic shock syndrome). It can cause mild infections and very nasty, deadly infections. GAS can be cultured from swabs for e.g. if it's in the throat, but for scarlet fever doctors would normally go off the clinical picture to diagnose. If someone has an iGAS infection they will be unwell enough to be in hospital and blood cultures would be done but again, they wouldn't wait for the results back they would start treatment based on the clinical picture.

You cannot develop immunity to GAS and you cannot build up immunity to GAS by being exposed to GAS or other pathogens.
Not always as regards Scarlet Fever, it's not very easy to disgnose by sight /symptoms alone ,they usually swab to make sure before contacting public health.

*diagnose

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
For anyone expecting something saucier from his title 🤪

This is what he's talking about:

1670184087259.png

Reactions: 5
I came across this on Twitter- apparently by someone who works in the pharmaceutical industry.

As you scroll down, there are lots of offshoot threads on several topics. Some may be of interest?

Reactions: 5
Strep A vax in development:

Also those crazy conspiracy theorists claiming some vaccines do shed.

Reactions: 6
Strep A vax in development:

Those crazy conspiracy theorists claiming some vaccines do shed.

What, the illness the media keep talking about is the same illness they're creating a vaccine for!!?

Reactions: 6
Joint research in different countries.

Wonder if they did find out what was causing the hepatitis in kids.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.