Could you marry someone poor/minimum wage?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To me I've always viewed those that try an flaunt it an are dressed head to toe in designer gear etc are usually pushing it financially, it's rare to find someone who does it that's actually got decent savings, my neighbour next door has two houses, the one here an the one 3 hours away (so she doesn't have a 3 hour commute to her work 🙄🙄) an a ugly ass bright orange porche jeep thing, she can't wear anything unless it's a top designer, but she whines constantly she's maxed out on credit cards an has nothing saved, she was trying fight her half siblings out of her parents will just so she can inherit the money

Compared to my dad that's impressive savings, drives his little 2016 plate Corsa, wears the same 9 t-shirts an 7 pairs of jeans with socks that just about everyone has holes in them an his slippers that's falling to bits 😂😂

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Also love the fact that OP commented on the “does the money buy you happiness” thread stating that they didn’t have much when they were younger, but now they’re older they do…

so basically they’ve married someone who earns a higher wage and now they’ve turned into a braggy twit that looks down their nose at the people that are in the position they used to be.

It was okay for OP to drive a Skoda when they were younger, but god help anyone who decides to drive a “modest” car now🙄🙄

Reactions: 13
So my ex was pretty wealthy (I didn’t need to work) and I was extremely miserable.
Fast forward several years, I earn the most in my household, three times more than my husband, and I’m very happy.
There’s nothing wrong with minimum wage, at least they’re working and contributing to the household. It’s better than them being sat on their bleeping arse, doing nothing.

Reactions: 7
Not really shallow…. in fact I actually drove a Toyota as my first car ! It’s just that since I got the Range Rover from my husband I don’t want to drive anything smaller or less !

Nope I drive a porsche…why what’s an Audi driver like ? 🤔🤭
As in range was my second car and now I drive the a Porsche ! The range was my first luxury car was the point I’m trying to make and even though I miss the Toyota I would fine it really hard going back to a basic brand !

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
I'd also like to know where people are that 25k is considered low, cause round here full time at min wage, your lucky to bring in 17k, an that's before taxes, an 80% of jobs are going to pay that

• Heart
Reactions: 10
As in range was my second car and now I drive the a Porsche ! The range was my first luxury car was the point I’m trying to make and even though I miss the Toyota I would fine it really hard going back to a basic brand !

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Right you’re definitely making this up now, no one can be this embarrassing 🤣🤣

Wonder if you even actually drive 🤔 you’re probably sat typing away in your primark joggers while searching onthebeach for a maga holiday…

• Haha
Reactions: 19
That's fine, but I find it interesting that you have asked the question 'would you marry someone who was poor/earned minimum wage'
If you want the finer things in life surely it is your responsibility to go out and get those? Not your partners? How you like to live and marrying someone 'poor' isn't really the same thing in my opinion
The point I was trying to make is would you date someone who perhaps is not on the same page as you financially or does not have the same financial goals as you and lifestyle goals ? As others in the post have pointed out they could it as they have certain lifestyles themselves they want to maintain and would struggle to date / marry someone who was not on the same page or atelast aiming to be

Reactions: 1
Interesting, the only couples j nknow with big salary gaps are always the men earning more and usually couples with children so the woman does more childcare. Does anyone know any couples that do the opposite?
I earn 3* DHs salary and I know at least one other couple where the woman is the higher earner. He is the best husband ever though… and wouldn’t swap him for anyone

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just stop. You’ve shown yourself to be who you really are. Money mad and a ‘rich’ husband to buy you the luxury cars. Hope he’s not on a thread about his lower earning wife

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
You must drive like a twit with the amount of cars you’ve gone through 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I'd also like to know where people are that 25k is considered low, cause round here full time at min wage, your lucky to bring in 17k, an that's before taxes, an 80% of jobs are going to pay that
I'm home counties, commuter belt to London. 25k isnt bad, but it would be a stretch month to month

Reactions: 1
Right you’re definitely making this up now, no one can be this embarrassing 🤣🤣

Wonder if you even actually drive 🤔 you’re probably sat typing away in your primark joggers while searching onthebeach for a maga holiday…
Oh piss off! I booked a girls holiday to there last year through on the beach. On the povo pile I go

• Haha
Husband drives an Aygo. We must be reeeeealllllly low then 🙄(it’s a 20 plate Aygo though and he bought it new. No, I don’t like it and neither does he but we couldn’t afford the fuel bills on the Yaris!!)

Our household income is around 55k. Husband earns just over 30k. The house is owned outright, no mortgage and we live in a decent area. I like a bit of Primarni but husband is a snob and doesn’t care for it 😂😂he has no idea what anything costs as I buy all his clothes for him (not high end designer but he likes stuff like Jack Wills, Superdry and Hollister. He’s an overgrown teenager 😂) we always seem to be struggling for money and I hate it.

I won’t deny, it would certainly be easier if one of us earned more but sadly that’s never going to happen so it is what it is. I like nice things (who doesn’t?) but every nice thing I did have (extensive collection of Irregular Choice shoes- 30 odd pairs- Mulberry Bayswater handbag and Mulberry purse- gold opal ring- white gold Diamond ring) all gone. Sold to pay bills. My Mulberry handbag broke my heart. I sold it for under £200. My engagement ring has been in pawn more times than I care to remember (it’s there currently but I won quite a lot of money on bingo last night so it’s coming out soon) My phone isn’t even my own (it’s a second hand iPhone 12 Pro Max that’s in my brother’s name- he got bored of it and my iPhone 8 was on its last legs so I took over) Point is though- these things are sent to try us. I had a friend who was a kept woman and although I was envious I couldn’t live her life and when I was unable to work when I had cancer I was bored.

I’ve wanted to be a WAG all my life but I’m not blessed with the kind of beauty that you need for that! Husband is a postman so I won’t lie the last few months have been absolutely horrible money wise; but as others have said- he has a job and he’s doing his best.

• Heart
Interesting responses , so personally I’m going to be completely honest I like money (
earning it myself) and nice things , so I personally would struggle to marry someone who a did not have the same mindset and say would be content earning 25-30k a year in their 40s and say they just wanted to go a magaluf for a holiday and drive a Ford focus / Skoda and wear clothes from primark all the time … the thought of it gives me anxiety loool
---

Not criticising people who are happy to earn that and drive a Ford focus ( or any other average car) but I just don’t desire to live that life myself personally that’s all , I’m just curious to hear others opinions on financial / lifestyle goals
I didn't choose my partner based on wages. I also don't want someone else's money. I bought my car when it was 5 years old 20 years ago. its perfect gets me where I want to go and is nearly worth as much now as I paid for it. you would look down your nose at me knowing nothing about me.

you sound like a girl I used to know, thought she was something living in her partner's home in a posh area gladly told people how she was better as her home was in a better area.. Relationship broke down and she had to move shes back with mammy because she can't afford to rent in the area she desires to live in

• Heart

• Haha
I'm home counties, commuter belt to London. 25k isnt bad, but it would be a stretch month to month
You'd definitely be lucky to find anything close to that here, I get London pays more as they need to try an help with cost of living, but towns around me are all around the 17k mark an that's for all retail, office, warehouse, delivery, care homes, nursery s, drivers, restaurants, spas, sport places etc, so it honestly wouldn't bother me if someone was on that as tbh its going to be incredible hard to find someone above it

So long as we got by fine with bills, food an got the odd little luxury then it would be no problem

• Heart
Reactions: 6
you sound like a girl I used to know, thought she was something living in her partner's home in a posh area gladly told people how she was better as her home was in a better area.. Relationship broke down and she had to move shes back with mammy because she can't afford to rent in the area she desires to live in
You’ve just described me in my previous relationship…. Oh how I was humbled 😂😂😂😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.