Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #81

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There are lots of reasons people can't lose weight. You have no idea about this persons life.
Obesity is certainly a health risk and something that needs to be addressed. However, I think we need a better system than a BMI calculator with more factors than general height and weight. I’m short so for my size losing or gaining 5 pounds can make a difference in how I look but may not make any difference to BMI.

I think there is a full body scan that can be done to show percentage of fat and where it’s located versus muscle. A traditional BMI calculator does not factor in something like muscle mass. I bet a lot of the fit rugby players are classed as obese or at least are in the overweight category

Reactions: 9
If anyone is having a bad day cause of winter I want to make you feel better... Here today, it is -20, feeling like -31 with the wind chill. In the week, it is meant to drop to -33 and probably feel like -40 with the wind chill.😭 My nostril hair freezes when I am outside, that's how cold it is, lol.
I could not live there!!! How do you cope?! 😱

Reactions: 2
This lockdown is for sure much harder because of the weather.
it’s impossible to do anything outside when it’s so cold and there’s only so much you can do indoors with kids, 24/7, 5 weeks on.

I know I’m a lot snappier than usual and the week ahead looks like it’s going to be pure hell if weather warnings are to be believed

Reactions: 14
You can believe that obesity is a public health issue and not be a dick about a young woman being in a coma. No amount of wheelchair pushing can make up for that.

We've lost another colleague to covid. Young, no underlying conditions. I'd been feeling so hopeful and that the worst was behind us. duck this virus.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I could not live there!!! How do you cope?! 😱
Lots of layers, leather gloves, scarf around face (or mask now in Covid lol).
Drive everywhere - remote start is useful as the car is blasted with warm air, heated seats, heated steering wheel. Is remote start a thing/legal in the UK?
Well built houses, insultated to keep heat in during winter, lol and air conditioner for summer.

The hardest bit is the dry skin, it is a very dry climate. My hands are already in tatters thanks to covid and washing them for longer, the cold doesn't help either. Although, because it is a dry climate, it isn't humid and damp like the UK so that makes all the difference. These temperatures in sunny and dry weather are "bearable" 😅 . Now go to Manitoba where it is -40 and humid and feels like -50 then it is even worse!!

It is weird... it isn't a "shiver" type of cold... it is a painful, burning, frostbite type of cold if you do not layer properly.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Lots of layers, leather gloves, scarf around face (or mask now in Covid lol).
Drive everywhere - remote start is useful as the car is blasted with warm air, heated seats, heated steering wheel. Is remote start a thing/legal in the UK?
Well built houses, insultated to keep heat in during winter, lol and air conditioner for summer.

The hardest bit is the dry skin, it is a very dry climate. My hands are already in tatters thanks to covid and washing them for longer, the cold doesn't help either. Although, because it is a dry climate, it isn't humid and damp like the UK so that makes all the difference. These temperatures in sunny and dry weather are "bearable" 😅 . Now go to Manitoba where it is -40 and humid and feels like -50 then it is even worse!!

It is weird... it isn't a "shiver" type of cold... it is a painful, burning, frostbite type of cold if you do not layer properly.
Oh remote start sounds good!! My car is 30 years old this summer tho so don’t think that’s possible! 😂
I get so cold, I have the worst circulation and raynauds, I think I would die in that cold!!
But glad the face masks are a positive at helping to keep you warm!

Reactions: 3
Obesity is certainly a health risk and something that needs to be addressed. However, I think we need a better system than a BMI calculator with more factors than general height and weight. I’m short so for my size losing or gaining 5 pounds can make a difference in how I look but may not make any difference to BMI.

I think there is a full body scan that can be done to show percentage of fat and where it’s located versus muscle. A traditional BMI calculator does not factor in something like muscle mass. I bet a lot of the fit rugby players are classed as obese or at least are in the overweight category
There is, I had one done years ago, it can differentiate between fat, flesh, muscle, bone. I was told that I’ll never be a “healthy” BMI because my bone density is such that I’d have to be skeletal with no muscle tone before I achieved it. Don’t get me wrong I’m overweight at the moment and need to sort that but BMI as it is measured now is bollocks.

Oh remote start sounds good!! My car is 30 years old this summer tho so don’t think that’s possible! 😂
I get so cold, I have the worst circulation and raynauds, I think I would die in that cold!!
But glad the face masks are a positive at helping to keep you warm!
I've been there, after making my morning coffee I used to prepare two hot water bottles for the car journey :D
The saddest part is on a cold day by the time i finish work they would be frozen solid and I put them in my shopping bags to keep the stuff cold 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I've been there, after making my morning coffee I used to prepare two hot water bottles for the car journey :D
The saddest part is on a cold day by the time i finish work they would be frozen solid and I put them in my shopping bags to keep the stuff cold 😂
Blimey re the frozen water bottles! I often take my hot water bottle in the car with me! I have 2 every night pretty much all year round, I think I only don’t have them about 5 nights a year? 😂

• Haha

BMI is basically trash unless you’re looking for extremes. Someone with a BMI of 40 is quite clearly going to be either extremely muscular and dense, or obese. Likewise a BMI of 15 they are going to be underweight. It’s when you get into the average/slightly overweight territory it gets really vague... there is such a small threshold between healthy and overweight, and I’ve known a lot of girls who were fit and active who still pushed into the overweight bracket due to muscle or just being stocky. That said, obesity is generally obvious and doesn’t need a BMI scale to diagnose.

Reactions: 6
Ok I’m 66 so can have as much attitude as I like please read my most recent post. Not ashamed if who I am and FYI I’ve spent the last 8 weeks volunteering at the local hospital helping with the vaccinations ( sanitising hands and pushing wheelchairs ) so I can’t be that bad

I read she was 19 and that’s my last opinion on this matter
Wtf.... 😂 FYI volunteering doesn’t give you the right to be a rude person the rest of the time... hope I’m not as bitter as you when I’m 66.

• Haha

Look how bright SAGE are to know the only way to try and stop variants arriving in the uk is to properly shut our border, who would have thought it :D Glad we've these high paid professionals to tell us little folk what we wouldn't have otherwise known.

Regarding Grace, not only is it just mean spirited to say it is solely down to her size but it’s likely incorrect.

Sure, she is obese and there is no denying that, but she was also pregnant at the time she caught covid and is a black woman. All 3 of these things are risk factors, not solely her weight.

I don’t like Grace for the way she has treated others but I hope she recovers soon, it is victim blaming to say this is solely down to her weight when she has 2 other high risk characteristics.

• Heart

The best part is table service could be scrapped. I know it means we can relax more but part of the pub experience for me is standing at a bar and chatting to whoever is serving. It just wasn't the same with table service even though you're waited on.

The best part is table service could be scrapped. I know it means we can relax more but part of the pub experience for me is standing at a bar and chatting to whoever is serving. It just wasn't the same with table service even though you're waited on.
I actually liked table service 😂 I enjoyed not having to queue and just getting a drink when I wanted one. 10pm curfew never made sense to me. It just pushed everyone outside at the same time where as usually they'd drift home for the last couple of hrs.

Reactions: 12
I actually liked table service 😂 I enjoyed not having to queue and just getting a drink when I wanted one. 10pm curfew never made sense to me. It just pushed everyone outside at the same time where as usually they'd drift home for the last couple of hrs.
I loved the table service - no barging at bars or desperately trying to get served! Was a great system for me haha. I agree about the curfew the photos of the tubes in London at 10pm just showed how dumb it was!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Table service made it feel like a restaurant not a pub haha. If they allow going to the bar then it will be normality because they might as well keep table service if with going to the bar you need to pop a mask on. The curfew was a bad decision making people drink quicker before ten and then leave at the same time at ten, instead of people leaving gradually between 10-11 and drinking at a steadier pace.

So the guy leaving has let the cat out of the bag :D

Reactions: 1
As a person who has carried extra weight a few times in my life I now know that changing your eating habits and moving more are what loses you weight. Yes it may be harsh but true. My elderly mother is overweight and my sister and I adjusted her diet last year and even though she is not very mobile she lost weight and it makes her life better and means if she falls over I don’t have to call an ambulance to get her up. She’s 94!!! If she can do it anyone can. Wonder ( this will be taken as harsh but here goes ) if she decided to have a baby for intagram ( she’s is only 19 ) as that seems to be a thing on Instagram at the moment. I’m very sad for her and do hope her and the baby are ok but it’s time the woke brigade realised being overweight is dangerous
All I am going to say is shame on you for not having even an ounce of empathy or compassion.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.