Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #77

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I moved house two years ago and still haven't switched GPs to one closer because, pre-covid, I don't have the time to go in to the surgery I want to move to and fill out all the paper forms. Now it's not really essential so I just keep travelling back to my old practice for repeat prescriptions etc. Why, in 2021 can I not move GP practice online? I get that they need proof of your identity and address, but surely if I could fill out something online and attach photos of any documents that could work? It just seems so backwards to need to go in and register in person with paper forms.
Exactly, I'm still registered at my uni GP (up north) two years later. Currently in London, attempted to register at the GP by emailing the form they need alongside all the documents, no response, but I don't want to put people at risk by going into the surgery itself. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 1
I moved house two years ago and still haven't switched GPs to one closer because, pre-covid, I don't have the time to go in to the surgery I want to move to and fill out all the paper forms. Now it's not really essential so I just keep travelling back to my old practice for repeat prescriptions etc. Why, in 2021 can I not move GP practice online? I get that they need proof of your identity and address, but surely if I could fill out something online and attach photos of any documents that could work? It just seems so backwards to need to go in and register in person with paper forms.
You can, I did it around August this year. The application to the new GP, which is in a totally different city to the old GP and therefore aligned with different trusts etc, was entirely online, I didn't visit the practice at all. The new GP then used the NHS app to verify me as being who I said I was. (no not the covid track and trace app, the more general NHS app, same one that I order my repeat prescriptions through). I then got called by the old GP in London about a week later who said they saw that I was on a "leavers list" or something (I forget exactly what she called it) and wanted to check I definitely intended to exit their practice.

They definitely managed to transfer a lot of info between the two practices somehow as I got summoned to the new one for blood tests the other week and the nurse had loads of my old weight readings, historic blood test results etc. Also my repeat prescription did carry on at the new practice (did have to prompt them a bit on that though). Only slight annoyance with the repeat prescription is that the old one did it on a 56 day basis but the new one insists on 28 day repeats (some NHS guideline) so I have to request it and also go to Tesco to pick it up twice as often now. As I say minor inconvenience, not bothered really.

So it is possible to go from one GP to another fairly seamlessly, but I dunno, it might be I got lucky and the two involved for me happen to be a bit more switched on than average?

Where I find the NHS record keeping/sharing is tit is between different disciplines or branches. For example if you go to a new hospital or even a new dentist they'll ask you to list any prescriptions. I get the privacy arguments but I should be able to say "yes Mr GP you MAY share this info with this dentist or this hospital" and not rely on me remembering medicine names and doses and how long etc all the time. Also in London I was going to Moorfields Eye Hospiral where they've got years worth of regularly taken special photos of the insides of my eyes, they are one of the premiere hospitals in the world for eye stuff, but now because I've moved to a different part of the country I've had to start again and get gradually referred for the same condition up the medical chain to a different hospital, and they can't get all the historic photos from Moorfields which are important for comparison or even their notes, have to start all over again, that's madness. It's only because I've kept all of Moorfields letters over the years that has shortened the referral process a tiny bit.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
A senior colleague once spent 3 hours trying to print about 30 PDF's because she was opening each one and file, print, format etc...

She was complaining about how long it was taking and I had to cut in and be like 'you realise you can just select them all together and right click print, then you can get on with your day while they are printing out?'

She is on about 3x my salary so she was paid a fortune to spend half her day sending a folder to print 🙈
Oh god I have so many stories like this. My manager didn’t know how to create a text box on word, she also didn’t understand how to add a header or footer, or how to do a screenshot (print screen). Granted this isn’t the absolute basics but it’s stuff I just do and don’t even think about! They act like it’s “sooooo complicated” and ok for us “young ones” (I’m 32 😂 )

• Angry
Reactions: 6
It feels like the nhs is about 30 years behind the rest of us in terms of technology. Didn’t someone on these threads say that they still use fax, or did until very recently. It’s honestly sad to see, the nhs should be the golden child of the government. It should be coveted and looked after and funded properly. It’s the one big perk of living in the uk imo and should be treated with upmost respect.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
It feels like the nhs is about 30 years behind the rest of us in terms of technology. Didn’t someone on these threads say that they still use fax, or did until very recently. It’s honestly sad to see, the nhs should be the golden child of the government. It should be coveted and looked after and funded properly. It’s the one big perk of living in the uk imo and should be treated with upmost respect.
There is a management fast track system in place to try and place more IT literate people into management across the public sector 🤦‍♀️

I work in local government and although I don’t think we’re that bad at all, I can never believe that IT training isn’t compulsory, it’s always the same people that don’t attend and then struggle

Reactions: 7
Oh god I have so many stories like this. My manager didn’t know how to create a text box on word, she also didn’t understand how to add a header or footer, or how to do a screenshot (print screen). Granted this isn’t the absolute basics but it’s stuff I just do and don’t even think about! They act like it’s “sooooo complicated” and ok for us “young ones” (I’m 32 😂 )
My old boss used to tell people i had 'advanced excel skills' because I could do a table and use formulas 😂 I work in Finance where everyone can do these things 🙈

Back to Covid, I really hope they don't start introducing vaccine passports, I haven't read up on any proposals but if nothing else I'm way down the list for the vaccine so won't get mine until later in the year. Would hate to be unable to do things just because of that

• Haha
Reactions: 8
A senior colleague once spent 3 hours trying to print about 30 PDF's because she was opening each one and file, print, format etc...

She was complaining about how long it was taking and I had to cut in and be like 'you realise you can just select them all together and right click print, then you can get on with your day while they are printing out?'

She is on about 3x my salary so she was paid a fortune to spend half her day sending a folder to print 🙈
Had a manager once who was such a technophobe. She couldn't work out how to use the wireless printers in the office, so would send me things to print all the time. This didn't stop even when she MOVED TO A DIFFERENT BUILDING ("Kazizzle can you print these and run them up on your lunch break") and even when I moved teams she would message me asking me to print things and she would pick them up later on that day! I also used to archive her emails for her because she couldn't figure it out.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Had a manager once who was such a technophobe. She couldn't work out how to use the wireless printers in the office, so would send me things to print all the time. This didn't stop even when she MOVED TO A DIFFERENT BUILDING ("Kazizzle can you print these and run them up on your lunch break") and even when I moved teams she would message me asking me to print things and she would pick them up later on that day! I also used to archive her emails for her because she couldn't figure it out.
I feel you. We have several offices and when someone comes in from another one they are constantly going 'jazyblu can I send you something to print, I'm not set up on the printer here and I'm in a rush'. Yes you are, it is a network system, you have worked here for a DECADE if you can print in one office you can print in them all because it is the same network. Why is that so hard to understand 😂

These are the people who are struggling from home and 'need the office' the reality is they don't need the office environment, they need people around them who can do basic tasks for them.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Someone on my Insta is in America and they were wearing masks in their house the other day when one of their parents were visiting, they don't usually wear masks in their house. They are in Utah
They're advising it if you live with an elderly person or if you live with multiple people who are all going in and out of the house often.

I've just seen an article where people's fear of needles is yet another vaccine hurdle.

Reactions: 3
I feel you. We have several offices and when someone comes in from another one they are constantly going 'jazyblu can I send you something to print, I'm not set up on the printer here and I'm in a rush'. Yes you are, it is a network system, you have worked here for a DECADE if you can print in one office you can print in them all because it is the same network. Why is that so hard to understand 😂

These are the people who are struggling from home and 'need the office' the reality is they don't need the office environment, they need people around them who can do basic tasks for them.
I got this a lot when in the office. One of my colleagues when she started and was the most accredited member of the team with relevant industry charter ship status etc. Two older male colleagues said”oh, are you here to help us with our documents and printing things” 😳😳

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
My old boss used to tell people i had 'advanced excel skills' because I could do a table and use formulas 😂 I work in Finance where everyone can do these things 🙈

Back to Covid, I really hope they don't start introducing vaccine passports, I haven't read up on any proposals but if nothing else I'm way down the list for the vaccine so won't get mine until later in the year. Would hate to be unable to do things just because of that
The potential for vaccine passports and travel in general is a big reason I'm going to get the vaccine. I understand the concerns but I think there are risks either way. I'd rather risk the vaccine than risk Covid. The data says as a young person I should be fine but it's a virus. A virus doesn't care who you are it just wants something to latch onto.

I think vaccine passports will likely though. Countries can't go through this again. I'm baffled that people are still traveling internationally now. I've seen posts online where people, usually in an LDR, are flouting lockdown restrictions in their respective countries by meeting up in a 3rd country like Mexico or Turkey. I totally understand wanting to see each other and I hate to sound unsympathetic, we're all struggling at the end of the day, but these scenarios aren't helping the overall situation. Not to sound like a witch, I'm sure flights and accommodations are cheaper as the travel industry is struggling as well, but it must be nice to have so much disposable income during a global pandemic.

I guess another way to look at it is, we'll have plenty of time to save up for an awesome holiday once it truly is safe to travel! I may even spring for a first class flight, why not? 😂

The potential for vaccine passports and travel in general is a big reason I'm going to get the vaccine. I understand the concerns but I think there are risks either way. I'd rather risk the vaccine than risk Covid. The data says as a young person I should be fine but it's a virus. A virus doesn't care who you are it just wants something to latch onto.

I think vaccine passports will likely though. Countries can't go through this again. I'm baffled that people are still traveling internationally now. I've seen posts online where people, usually in an LDR, are flouting lockdown restrictions in their respective countries by meeting up in a 3rd country like Mexico or Turkey. I totally understand wanting to see each other and I hate to sound unsympathetic, we're all struggling at the end of the day, but these scenarios aren't helping the overall situation. Not to sound like a witch, I'm sure flights and accommodations are cheaper as the travel industry is struggling as well, but it must be nice to have so much disposable income during a global pandemic.

I guess another way to look at it is, we'll have plenty of time to save up for an awesome holiday once it truly is safe to travel! I may even spring for a first class flight, why not? 😂
Oh I absolutely agree! That's why I want mine, I just don't want the vaccine passports introduced before I've had my vaccine so other people can go on holiday and I can't through no fault of my own😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4

This reminds me of the praise I got when I introduced the snipping tool to my office a couple of years ago 🙌😂

• Haha
I think vaccine passports will likely though. Countries can't go through this again.
I can understand why they are necessary, and as someone way down the list, it'll be a while for me but its funny how Govt's can mandate things like this, yet can't seem to get a grip on other things that have been an issue for years and years.
I'll go and have a chunky Kit Kat before I start ranting and derailing the thread 😁

Reactions: 2
I can understand why they are necessary, and as someone way down the list, it'll be a while for me but its funny how Govt's can mandate things like this, yet can't seem to get a grip on other things that have been an issue for years and years.
I'll go and have a chunky Kit Kat before I start ranting and derailing the thread 😁
I can see them being necessary if we get to a point where the vaccine 90+% stops you catching it and also stops you transmitting it, but we're not there yet so why do you need proof you've had a vaccine that stops you personally needing hospital admission if you contract it, just to go to work or visit another country or pop to the pub or wherever else they dream up that we need to flash our shiny new passport?

For what it's worth I don't think they'll introduce it anyway, I'm just really struggling to comprehend why on earth we would need it!

View attachment 387052

Here we go....quietly dropped into a wider bbc article. Gov exaggerating new variant and blaming the little people instead of their own slowness to react.
BBC breakfast had show jumping - trained at 4 months old during lockdown - piglets on this morning 😐

give them a break, this Is the pandemic lockdown information we need.

• Haha
This 100%! The NHS are so far behind it’s laughable sometimes. Not completely related but just things like doctors in hospitals writing paper notes with their awful handwriting, and then no one can read them anyway so that information is basically lost forever 😂 ! Also so many systems are used and they can’t access each other - it’s actually quite dangerous as like you said things get missed all the time.
Yeah I had a telephone appointment with a GP nurse in November last year and she asked if I was on any other medication? (I am) I had wrongly assumed she would have a screen up with all medical records on but apparently not...

Reactions: 1
Can I just say that I am a very few and far between contributor to this thread but it always makes things seems a bit more rational. The “famous” tattlers with their facts, figures and experience should be running this government.

thank you x

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.