Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

G2000

But parents who work from home are still expected to homeschool their children for a solid 3 hours or whatever! How is that possible if they’re having to work from home? Surely then the kids are missing out and would be better off in school for the sake of their education?
But that’s not what this is about is it? That’s virtually every parent that works. The whole reason schools were open was so the country didn’t grind to a halt and that the NHS could continue to have a work force.

I agree with you educationally they should be in. None of this is ideal.

Reactions: 1

monga

VIP Member
None of the vaccines offer guaranteed 100% protection against catching it so until the people they’re treating are likely vaccinated this will mean they need to Isolate. We’re going to hear of a lot of cases in the media because it sells stories but in real terms the number of people who will catch covid after both jabs are effective is very small. Once the majority of people are vaccinated this will be similar to a healthcare worker needing to take time off if they have a vomiting bug or flu etc to protect the vulnerable. Data shows that you’re pretty much guaranteed not to need hospitalisation if you do catch it after the vaccine which is really what this is all about - pushing the virus to become a mild one & protecting the system from being overrun.
Yeah just wondering how long that would take to achieve especially with cases so high the doc that runs the ZOE app tweeted he was getting a lot of reports of healthcare staff still testing pos after the jabs so it looks like it won’t be a quick fix.

monga

VIP Member
I'm not sure why his standing as a Professor in Sociology, talking about something Sociological is laughable. That's his area of expertise. It's largebly (but arguably) irrelevant if he's talking from a personal stance or not.

Edited to add... I don't agree with the point the original poster was making by posting though, just to clarify.
For me it's the timeframe regardless of what he's a professor of .

calmyourritas

VIP Member
I will now have to wait until I need milk or the like to go back to the shop, don’t want to get arrested for just getting my chocolate fix

• Haha

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Controversial opinion here but I don’t see the issue with shifting the school year back six weeks, taking a 2 week break in the summer and a long weekend in October as they do in Scotland.
The majority of teachers and unions don't want to.

Rose28454

VIP Member
Regarding when people are called some couples in their 80s were called together but we had one chap who came with his wife she had been called not him even though he had serious heart problems . I went and talked to the organisers who said he could be checked in by and jabbed but I was not to allow anyone else they were to be told they would be called when it was their turn

malolo

VIP Member
Does anyone in Scotland have any thoughts on whether any restrictions will be lifted at the end of January?
Sturgeon said it was very unlikely anything would be lifted, if anything we're looking at more restrictions because they're reviewing things like click and collect services. Get a better idea tomorrow when she's in parliament.

Renata

VIP Member
What happened to the army getting involved?

what’s the route to exit here?
All I’m hearing is about hospitals being overwhelmed (as predicted).

what’s the modelling for vaccinations to bring these numbers down.

SavvyBee

VIP Member
Yes my thoughts are that if majority of people are mild or asymptomatic and thus wouldn’t have known or been tested then the real figures especially before mass testing surely the real number is much much higher than 2.5m cases. People don’t seem to be getting it over and over (and I have heard of more cases of people being less careful after because they assume they won’t get it twice) so I’m hopeful that by next winter we are much closer to some level of herd immunity coupled with those who have the vaccine.

Does anybody know if the vaccine will have an effect on the PCR test results? Especially the Oxford one which gives you part of the “dead” virus. I’ve read so much about the unreliability of the PCR tests as it is, false positives and low threshold for positive... I wonder if people who’ve had the vaccine will therefore test positive because the virus is detected? I keep getting NHS letters inviting me to take part in a covid study regardless of whether I have symptoms so they clearly are still testing people in the community regardless of symptoms and if they do this to people who have the vaccine, will the numbers be kept artificially high?

G2000

you know what the really sad thing is,
between the media, the “anti” crew and social media in general.

I've become someone who sees a report like this and questions if it’s true.
I never thought I’d be that cautious when it comes to reports like this when there’s no actual evidence it’s not true!!

the last year has done a number on us in so many ways

on a lighter note I do love a cheese single. 😋
It’s there. I live 20mins away and have a friend who is working there. 😔

monga

VIP Member
I have a nectar card and sainsburys credit card and didn't get an email. Saw it on our local Facebook page and thought it was made up because our Sainsburys constantly plays a message over the tannoys saying they won't challenge anyone not wearing a mask and don't expect other customers to challenge each other as not all disabilities are visible!

I try to avoid it as its always heaving in ours and people just don't back the fuck off!! 😂
No deff not made up I got one before aswell to say about only one person allowed to shop no couples etc

JLXRD

VIP Member
I know what people have been advised to do; however I think peace of mind trumps this, in certain cases.
It’s hard as I want to agree but if everyone does this, it will cause some major problems! Most doctors surgery’s have sent out texts/ have prerecorded message saying not to call them about the vaccine and you will be contacted when it is your turn.

I think people need to be patient still, not all GPs are part of the roll out.

For example my husbands grandparents live together but have different GPS, she is 83 and he is 89. She has now had both Pfizer doses and he, no vaccine at all. Just have to wait it out sadly.

Readread

VIP Member
It's my understanding that, if contacted by track and trace, it's actually law so she has to follow it.
That’s what I thought too. I also believe if you contact 119? she can get an isolation letter for her employer which states she has to self isolate. But they’re adamant she can work with a negative covid test. Which seems stupid because I thought it can take a few days to test positive but the virus can still be spread?