Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

On A Roll

I work in non-essential retail in NI, so we are closed and only able to fulfill delivery orders, no click & collect. thats 500+ people in my store every day, Monday to Friday. I assume if boris’ announcement includes all nations, I’ll be furloughed? Company have refused to do it so far as we are ’covid secure’

malolo

VIP Member
Do we just assume any lockdown in England is likely to mirror that of Scotland do you think?
Judging by all the other restrictions that have come and gone since March I don't think England's will be as strict as Scotland's. I don't think England ever had a limit to how far you could travel at any point during the initial lockdown for example, could be wrong though. Was stay at home actually put in to law in England?

emm

VIP Member
not sure has been asked before (this thread is too fast moving!) but anyone have any idea what the announcement tonight will be? I assume whole of England will be in tier 4 (should have been done before) but will it be anything else?

Jc456

VIP Member
I’d like to see more concrete plans for the vaccine roll out. Use the army. Use Nightingales. Use Supermarket pharmacies (they do the flu jab). Use GP surgeries which for all I can gather really haven’t done all that much the last 9 months. Send the Army door to door if they need to. Close schools for a month, reduce the number of shops open and throw every spare resource at mass vaccination and supporting the NHS. I am thankful we’re not at war if this is the leadership we show - Churchill must be turning in his grave!
A local pharmacy is doing them here

Merpedy

VIP Member
I’d like to see more concrete plans for the vaccine roll out. Use the army. Use Nightingales. Use Supermarket pharmacies (they do the flu jab). Use GP surgeries which for all I can gather really haven’t done all that much the last 9 months. Send the Army door to door if they need to. Close schools for a month, reduce the number of shops open and throw every spare resource at mass vaccination and supporting the NHS. I am thankful we’re not at war if this is the leadership we show - Churchill must be turning in his grave!
My local uni page was advertising some sort of volunteering for vaccination programmes. It looked like students or other people would be trained to administer the vaccine but I didn't look too much into the details

NHS also has a page on it: https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...vaccine-team/#i-am-interested-in-volunteering

jazyblu

Chatty Member
Presume Macron and the rest of the world have closed down all trade and travel to and from South Africa now that it's being said that their mega mutation is even worse than the UK mutation that they sealed us off over the week before last?
Yes, they had already banned travel from SA around the time it was banned from the UK too. No conspiracy to see here.

monga

VIP Member
Ridiculous isn’t it?! For a number of reasons:
-patients don’t want to be treated because they’re scared of catching covid in hospital.
-some of the operations aren’t classed as urgent and all non urgent cases got cancelled due to the projections from the government to ‘prepare ourselves’
-not as many operations can be done due to the amount of cleaning and extra precautions that need to be followed before/after (they do half the cases they used to on a list due to this, leading to an increased backlog)
-patients need a covid test prior to any operation, if they miss their test/the result doesn’t come back then the procedure will be cancelled.
-consultants had their operating lists taken off of them as they had to fill in for junior doctors who were put on covid wards due to them having more recent and up to date training.
-lack of staff due to shielding/being redeployed as a result of a medical condition they have.

Mainly it was due to the government telling us to prepare for a second wave that never happened. We waited months and months as they kept saying it was coming and it never did! Not for us anyway. Resulting in the massive problems and backlogs we now have.
They seem to have put a lot on hold in English hospitals ,ours kept going, even were commended for doing a record amount of transplants throughout the pandemic it's strange how much of a difference stance the devolved nations have taken.

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Yeah my grandad passed on Christmas Eve and I think covid was possibly a contributing factor -staff completely overrun and he needed an ITU bed but none available.

Some things do seem totally unaffected like some people I follow on Instagram still getting their cancer treatments which is good.
We live in an area that is covered by a lot of trusts. Services have been varied depending on the trust