Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wish my job in healthcare gave me the option to strike and stay at home during a pandemic , I really feel for the teachers and yes close to the majority of school pupils but us key workers need you , it takes a team , my work is going to start giving out the vaccines from the 11th , I can only hope the teachers don’t strike .

I chose not to put my kids in during the first wave as so much was unknown and my son is a asthmatic and my mum watched him for me , but this time she’s back to work and I no longer have that option .
Schools will remain open for keyworker and vulnerable children though.
I assume you have PPE available in your job? Regular testing and the option shortly of the vaccine?
All things not afforded to teachers.

Reactions: 22
Schools will remain open for keyworker and vulnerable children though.
I assume you have PPE available in your job? Regular testing and the option shortly of the vaccine?
All things not afforded to teachers.
I’ve not been tested routinely once . I’m sorry no flimsily apron and a surgical mask is going to help stop anyone catch it if your in close contact for a prolonged period . I do agree teachers should have to wear ppe and masks , and should get the vaccine ASAP also like I said it will take a team to get through this . And if they strike who will watch key worker children ?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Absolutely, I couldn't have worded it better myself. I've been wanting schools (and borders/flights) to close for a long time now. I know it's difficult for parents who work, but the government now needs to tell employers that they need to be lenient with any of their staff who need to care for their children during this pandemic.

Like SavvyBee said, there will be a chance for children to catch up. I also feel that parents who have said that they struggled to home teach their children could concentrate more on any subjects that they can do well together with their children, and enjoy the experience. Teachers are professionals in their field and fully understand that home learning has its problems.
This is impossible! When it first started I was told by my work that I either had to work, take holiday or take it unpaid. I could not afford to live if I took it as unpaid leave so had to use a massive amount of my holiday because of it.

I massively begrudged doing this.. holiday is precious and you need it throughout the year not all in one go.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I wish my job in healthcare gave me the option to strike and stay at home during a pandemic , I really feel for the teachers and yes close to the majority of school pupils but us key workers need you , it takes a team , my work is going to start giving out the vaccines from the 11th , I can only hope the teachers don’t strike .

I chose not to put my kids in during the first wave as so much was unknown and my son is a asthmatic and my mum watched him for me , but this time she’s back to work and I no longer have that option .
as a side note this isn’t a strike. It’s acting on a health and safety clause In our contracts.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
as a side note this isn’t a strike. It’s acting on a health and safety clause In our contracts.
Who decides which teachers go in for the key workers children if this clause is taking up by teaching staff ? I take it none of the teachers have to go in if it’s health and safety ? I was just trying to get another view across that it’s more than people not being arsed to homeschool , if the teachers decide to stay at home it is going to affect the vaccine rollout and nhs staffing levels .

Reactions: 8
I’ve not been tested routinely once . I’m sorry no flimsily apron and a surgical mask is going to help stop anyone catch it if your in close contact for a prolonged period . I do agree teachers should have to wear ppe and masks , and should get the vaccine ASAP also like I said it will take a team to get through this . And if they strike who will watch key worker children ?
That's a crying shame, that still, this far in, healthcare workers aren't receiving adequate ppe.
Like I said, the schools remain open for keyworker and vulnerable children. The teachers aren't striking, they are saying they will be available to teach from home or keyworker/vulnerable children on site.

Who decides which teachers go in for the key workers children if this clause is taking up by teaching staff ? I take it none of the teachers have to go in if it’s health and safety ? I was just trying to get another view across that it’s more than people not being arsed to homeschool , if the teachers decide to stay at home it is going to affect the vaccine rollout and nhs staffing levels .
The letter they've been asked to sign, states they will be available to teach Keyworker and vulnerable children on site. So the head will likely decide which teachers are in and which teach from home.
Curious how will it affect the vaccine roll out? If you mean by healthcare staff having children home, then they are all classed as keyworkers and their children can attend as normal.

Reactions: 5
This pitting teachers v other key workers things has to be one of the worst things to come out of this pandemic.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Schools should’ve been encouraging parents who are willing and able to keep their children home with no penalty. I get that online lesson planning is difficult, but surely cutting numbers of children in schools months ago would’ve gone some way to helping slow infection spread. It seems the message that if you can safely work from home isn’t being applied to children.

Reactions: 13
This pitting teachers v other key workers things has to be one of the worst things to come out of this pandemic.
I think it’s unfair for people to think that because healthcare staff have it really tit, other key workers also has to have it tit.

More aggression needs to be shown at the powers that be than turning against each other. We’re all in this together.

Reactions: 12
Curious why you're all going in, if none of you think it's the right thing?
Because we are a small school in a tight community - overwhelming sense of duty from the teachers and overwhelming sense of loyalty to colleagues to not make it more difficult by absence I guess. It’s a headache because you feel pressure if you do or don’t.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
How dare Boris tell parents is safe to send their kids to school! He has so much bleeping blood on his hands, how does he sleep at night?!

• Angry
Reactions: 23
The schools / children / teaching staff are basically guinea pigs to Boris. 'We'll just see how it goes and take further measures if things get worse' is his message today. Blood on his hands.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I don’t understand why the government are missing the fact there is 7 weeks of summer holiday to play with. Half term in Feb. Two weeks at Easter etc...

Kids will not miss out if it’s managed properly.

They just can’t be arsed.

Reactions: 18
The schools / children / teaching staff are basically guinea pigs to Boris. 'We'll just see how it goes and take further measures if things get worse' is his message today. Blood on his hands.
I didn’t watch it, he’s so bleeping frustrating to listen to.

He’ll take further action when ( and they will) infection rates rise again? , I don’t believe a word this bleep says.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I don’t understand why the government are missing the fact there is 7 weeks of summer holiday to play with. Half term in Feb. Two weeks at Easter etc...

Kids will not miss out if it’s managed properly.

They just can’t be arsed.
Because for a lot of children, the holidays are needed to recharge their batteries. I know when mine we younger they were so tired in the week or so leading up to half terms. My yr11 child needs them now too. He has worked continually during the pandemic and all through the Christmas holidays.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.