Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Interesting article in this morning's Telegraph (paywall unfortunately) regarding thousands of British tourists heading for the few remaining "green list" holiday destinations in the Med for Half-Term.

Lots of chaos, confusion, frustration, anger from these "entitled" buffoons, blaming the governments here at home and abroad for their difficulties having to wait at airports and hotels at some Greek islands. And then they wonder why infections are rising back home, or that their particular island is now on the "watch list" and therefore they may have to look forward to 10-14 days of self-isolation on return.

Government has made a lot of blunders, as have most international governments, but one would have hoped for some common sense from its citizens at least.
Ive been attacked for saying this in the past, but I will continue to say it. People going on holiday abroad at the moment are selfish and entitled. I love foreign travel, it’s one of my favourite things to do and gives me immense joy, but I wouldn’t dream of booking anything for the foreseeable future. Im amazed at how many people feel entitled to a holiday. You only have to go to mumsnet to see this attitude, ‘I need a holiday’. No, you want a holiday. You won’t die if you don’t go away for a few months. Get over it.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

hnoz

VIP Member
On a lighter note all the small businesses and football clubs up and down the country confirming that they will be offering or funding meals for children is heartwarming. I was almost in tears reading all the reports. It’s nice to know some of the country has a conscience at least.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Lucyloulucy

Chatty Member
Most people DO NOT suffer
80% of people have NO SYMPTOMS
This thread seems to be full of people who don’t want to see the truth or report anyone with a positive story and I don’t get it
It isn’t just me with no symptoms - all 6 of us haven’t .. do you think that’s a fluke?
Grow up and actually take notice of facts
This virus is killing 1% of the world - that’s a fact by ONS - stop being so melodramatic and negative
From the photo you posted of your son I wouldn’t say none of you have symptoms. I also wouldn’t consider “all 6 of us have it” as a positive story or something to boast about. Which it sounds as if you’re doing. People have different experiences on this thread, you know fine well that there’s numerous frontline nhs staff and people who are bereaved so please stop telling people to grow up and stop being melodramatic as if your very limited experience is the only one that’s valid.

• Heart

Detty pig

True, but it's also important to stress that of those who died, "Patients were between 36 and 101, and all but six, who were aged 60 to 93, had known underlying health conditions."

Give it a rest.

You may be trying to reassure people but the underlying health issues argument has been explained thoroughly. Its not reassuring as the criteria is vast, and Im sure everyone either is on it or has someone they love on it, who will live long normal lives otherwise.

• Heart

MissD

So last week I finally got the call to confirm I’m coming off furlough (and going back full tome, not part time on the new scheme) when the scheme ends after seven long months. I knew not working was affecting my mental health, but I didn’t realise how much until I finally got the confirmation...it’s like a huge weight has been lifted.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

hnoz

VIP Member
I’ve never seen anything like it. Covering up duvets avoiding purchases at a time of year when boiler breakdowns increase. Amazon will be rubbing their hands together with glee at the increased Welsh sales they’re going to receive.
The whole thing just doesn't even make sense, people are already in the shop, what does it matter if they also need a microwave?
Is chocolate more essential than tupperware?
Is jam more essential than knickers??

Who is making these calls? This is the most insane decision. Why not just go to fucking ration tokens at this rate :rolleyes:

Reactions: 24

July9696

Chatty Member
Well here's a list of what the government defined as "underlying health conditions" at the start of the lockdown. (source https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news...nderlying-conditions-coronavirus-risk-3959772 )

• chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis, a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

With the exception of a couple of those I would say all these are conditions which, in themselves, will sadly shorten a person's life expectancy regardless of whether they have Covid at the time of death or not. Therefore it would be wrong to say that these people died of Covid and therefore they shouldn't be included in the daily scary statistics.
What an odd comment.
Yes it may shorten someone’s life but contracting Covid may be the difference between dying at 55 or dying at 65. The fact is if it weren’t for having Covid these people may have not died at this time.

That’s like saying oh you’re going to die eventually of your underlying condition so it may as well be now.

Reactions: 23

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Sorry baby, we can't buy you any new vests even though you've had numerous shit explosions. But mummy's got a bottle of vodka and no longer gives a fuck.
Isn’t it ironic that after the whole FSM debacle we have Tory politicians saying parents shouldn’t spend their money on fags and booze whilst their children go without, yet here they are putting alcohol in the ‘essential’ category whilst baby clothes are taped off. And of course you can still buy cigs too, too much tax to be lost from not selling those. Parents are bad for buying a cheap bottle of wine but at the same time we’re going to stop you from buying genuinely essential items such as clothes for your rapidly growing baby and items to clean your home with in some pathetic attempt to be ‘fair’ to other retailers. Sorry but last time I checked, we lived in a capitalist society, which isn’t exactly a ‘fair’ system in the first place. And what about being ‘fair’ to the consumer, many who have also suffered this year?

Sorry for ranting it’s all just so stupid, and maybe I sound stupid too idk I’m tired. All I know is you couldn’t make it up, utter shit show from start to where we are now.

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
I’ve never seen anything like it. Covering up duvets avoiding purchases at a time of year when boiler breakdowns increase. Amazon will be rubbing their hands together with glee at the increased Welsh sales they’re going to receive.
How is a fucking duvet non essential?! What if a kid pees the bed or an elderly person soils themselves?! Ugh I am so pissed off right now this doesn’t make sense! How are they protecting independent retailers by doing this?! Those who can will buy online and those who can’t will suffer.

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
So if person a went to the shop on a Sunday, would person b...

just kidding.

I am so over this. When will it disappear? Please someone tell me. 🙏

• Haha
Reactions: 22

hnoz

VIP Member
Is it really fair to call someone, who is only trying to do their job and follow instructions from their management “little Hitlers”

Or indeed give them attitude?

Has to be said the entitlement reeks from your post. Enjoy shopping in M&S... heard you can’t get covid there 🙄
The real little hitlers are the ones who take their frustrations out on the poor sod just doing their job, probably on minimum wage too.

• Heart

Jamhead

VIP Member
I remember in the last lockdown our Asda taped off huge sections of non-essentials, including books, magazines, toys and craft 'supplies'.
The whole country had just been thrown in to home learning and you couldn't get to the pencils or plain paper 😑
Our BnM closed off the whole toy aisle too, obviously no children were having a birthday during that time.
A lot of what is deemed non-essential actually helps many, my 80 year old Nan for instance, took to doing wordsearches and adult dot to dots to pass some of her time. All sold in asda and deemed non-essential. They obviously don't think about that.
Also the knock on effect to the company's producing and supply these items must be felt further down the chain.
I think it's enough to ask people to just do one main shop a week and only go out to the shop again if essential.

• Wow

Yel

Chatty Member
You'd think mops during a pandemic are definitely essential? The whole point is to reduce the virus spreading!
IMG_20201024_085041.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha

Tots

VIP Member
Yeah that’s probs what we will do, we just didn’t last time as he complained it wasted his time 🙄 but I’ve learned my lesson sending him in 😂

My partner went to the local shop for me last year and I asked him to get Sandwich thins....he thought I said sandwich fillings and came back with a tin of anchovies?!?!?! 😂

• Haha

MalletsMallet

It's crushingly sad that, in these 'unprecidented' and viciously cruel times, politicians couldn't dig deep enough into their basic humanity and put political ideologies to one side to ensure that the most vulnerable don't have to suffer even more than they already are.

Every family will have been impacted by this virus. Every single child will be feeling the impact in some way or another. Families who already had nothing may now not even have that. Families who previously had plenty may now find themselves without. Government decisions as to who qualifies for furlough, what business can remain open and, let's not forget, the inertia around finalising EU trade talks, will have impacted many, many families. These won't just be the easily targetable 'dreggs' of society that should 'learn to budget' and be grateful (but let's keep quiet the fact that the most benefits are actually paid out to working households as that definitely doesn't fit the benefit scrounger channel 5 fetishized trope). These will be families where parents are self employed and fall short of qualifying for furlough. These will be families where their employer has folded. These will be families where parents previously worked in universities but had their contracts ended early.

No parent will ever let their child go hungry. As every piece of evidence shows, the parents- normally the mothers- will go without to allow the child to eat. Then, when that option stops being viable, meals will be cut. This impacts children academically, physically and mentally.

Let the UK never forget that these elected leaders chose to vote against something so financially trivial but socially and ethically huge.