Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if this has been posted - I’ve had pages to catch up on so have skim read and may have missed it.

its a twitter thread that explains clearly the rationale behind the “herd immunity”.

To be honest as someone who was desperate for them to close school it does makes sense, although it has sent my anxiety sky high as a person they’re aiming to deliberately infect 😣😩 I just hope in the lottery of severity I get it mildly and their massive gamble of assumptions about immunity are correct. Terrifying. I do feel a bit “sacrificial lamb” to the immunity gods.

Friends on Facebook have been sharing that too, in some ways it does make sense, but could also be way off the mark and attributing far too much intellegence to the Governements decision making process as in short, it's really just 'keep calm and carry on (washing your hands)'

Reactions: 3
I asked this a few days ago and I don’t think anyone on here actually knows someone who has it.
I spoke to my GP friend yesterday and she has spoken or seen lots and lots of people that either have it or have had it. She said the majority are experiencing mild symptoms.

We have had a strong rumour schools will close this Friday until after Easter. Teachers are prepping for it too (York’s)
as a teacher in the north west we know nothing. We are prepared for closure and will be sending work electronically each day if we were to shut. But as I say still an if

Reactions: 4
Apparently Norfolk has no cases (my in laws live there). If we are unable to go to a family wedding next week we will be going to Norfolk instead. Lots of open space to be out and about without being close to people.
and this is how the virus spreads.....no cases in Norfolk so let’s go and visit there. Are you serious?

Reactions: 9
as a teacher in the north west we know nothing. We are prepared for closure and will be sending work electronically each day if we were to shut. But as I say still an if
Same. Our director of schools emails everyday. They’re all in contact with dfe everyday and there has been no unanimous decision made according to him but be prepared basically for any eventuality.

and this is how the virus spreads.....no cases in Norfolk so let’s go and visit there. Are you serious?
Let’s go and spend time with my parents in law who are devastate we can’t go to the wedding of their daughter and meet her first born child for the first time? Damn right I’m serious. We haven’t randomly chosen it for a jolly. We are supporting family at a very difficult time.

The shops round here have been ok. Still had some things in. Today mostly everywhere is empty.

Let’s go and spend time with my parents in law who are devastate we can’t go to the wedding of their daughter and meet her first born child for the first time? Damn right I’m serious.
Let’s hope you don’t pass anything onto them then. As long as you are ok. Why do you think Italy are in the mess they are in...because people went to places that didn’t have it and created new hotspots.

We have had a strong rumour schools will close this Friday until after Easter. Teachers are prepping for it too (York’s)
Yes weve had that from next friday too. I'm very good friends with a local head teacher. Shes said they are getting ready making packs up to take home (she was up till 3 last night making them). Just awaiting a yes or a no from the governing body.

In my local area in London, WhatsApp groups are being set up to coordinate efforts to help people who are self isolating. People seem to be very efficient and are creating google sheets to coordinate who has what resources and how best to support people. It’s actually quite uplifting. I also had friends over last night and put my phone away for a few hours and feel far better this morning for it. I think the government’s psychology is quite right - people naturally want to rebel and we don’t have the resources to police forced isolation so appear to be lax and people take it in to their own hands. It’s working from what I can see - events being cancelled etc.

Reactions: 7
Let’s hope you don’t pass anything onto them then. As long as you are ok. Why do you think Italy are in the mess they are in...because people went to places that didn’t have it and created new hotspots.
So nobody should travel in to Norfolk then? We’ll get the county to shut the border. As I said, this isn’t just a random holiday, it’s a last resort to support family at a time which is going to be difficult for them. Some would call it a family emergency. And even Italy are allowing people to move because of those.

Reactions: 2
So nobody should travel in to Norfolk then? We’ll get the county to shut the border. As I said, this isn’t just a random holiday, it’s a last resort to support family at a time which is going to be difficult for them. Some would call it a family emergency. And even Italy are allowing people to move because of those.
i understand, it’s such an awful time for everyone the uncertainty is crippling. We too have had plans that we have had to cancel. All I’m saying is if everyone thinks like you do and don’t consider the bigger picture it’s going to prolong the situation. It’s really not a personal attack, please don’t take it as one.

Reactions: 7
I work in national public health in the NHS for Scotland. We've had no advice beyond hand washing etc, and to take our laptops home every night in case we need to work from home. So I'm pretty sure these rumours of schools closing and private healthcare staff being prepped are just that - rumours. At the very most they are decisions by the individual organisations, and not from any gov/NHS directive.

On a seperate note, I was saddened to see that nurses are giving non-evidence based advice to breastfeeding mothers that will jepordise their milk supply and their babies immunity. An example of practitioners who don't keep their skills and knowledge up to date.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
agree with the sentiment but to be fair I think it’s probably already circulating in Norfolk.

It was same in Doncaster/East Yorkshire... nothing official so people thought it was clear, but in reality it was there, just not confirmed and maybe not as densely packed. Both areas had cases officially lodged yesterday.

Are we expected to avoid our families for the foreseeable? I’m going to end up very lonely if that’s the case. It’s bad enough hardly seeing anyone as it is except the kids but for how long do we not seeing anyone for?

Reactions: 1
agree with the sentiment but to be fair I think it’s probably already circulating in Norfolk.

It was same in Doncaster/East Yorkshire... nothing official so people thought it was clear, but in reality it was there, just not confirmed and maybe not as densely packed. Both areas had cases officially lodged yesterday.
Not confirmed in my town either, but given my doctor was on self-isolation with symptoms yesterday, just cos it's not confirmed evidently doesn't mean it's not here.

Are we expected to avoid our families for the foreseeable? I’m going to end up very lonely if that’s the case. It’s bad enough hardly seeing anyone as it is except the kids but for how long do we not seeing anyone for?
Quite possibly yes. You may become a carrier without knowing, it’s not worth putting others at risk. Get Skype or FaceTime and call them etc. I’m preparing not to see my mum on Mother’s Day, just in case. Her first one since we lost my grandma but as she’s nearly 60 and my dad has health issues I would not want to risk it!

I havent heard of any cases in Doncaster 🤔 (Doncaster is south Yorkshire 🤷🏻‍♀️) have you got a link please

Reactions: 1
Usually I love being alone as well but I think it's different when you can't see people.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.