Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reactions: 10
The big push is on helping the elderly and vulnerable - who is protect them? Healthy people like myself?
I work in a massive open plan office. How am I supposed to help my elderly Nan with compromised health without putting her at risk. Who is supposed to help her?

to protect the vulnerable means that those doing the caring need to be the targeted group and that simply isn’t the case!

copied from previous thread - didn’t think it posted there because Of post limit but apparently it did!

Reactions: 25
Given what the CMO said, this is going to be a long haul and we need to be prepared for that. In true British style we are not supposed to over react. That said, there was a clear indication that more severe measures will come in sooner rather than later. Boris addressed it as detailed as we need to not cause mass panic. On the plus side, at least he didn’t try to play it down ala Trump. Upping his game from denying climate change to just denying everything.
I think the next week or so will see escalations steadily increasing. I do wonder if we will get to the volunteer point with the NHS. I’d do it tbh.

Reactions: 8
They have no faith in our population, there are so many things we could do amongst ourselves to help if only they'd give us the resources.
Boris stated in tonight's conference that they are relying on our 'altruism', they know we are going to step in to help each other anyway, so why not help maximise our efforts?
They should provide online leaflets with guidance on how to care for someone with mild symptoms, the safest ways to drop off food to those who are self-quarantined, etc.
If the tories are not going to protect us, at least help us help each other.

Reactions: 30
New poster here! Found the thread and it’s kept me better informed than any other media! At first I wasn’t overly worried...after seeing Boris’ actions- moreover lack of!- I am increasingly concerned. I work at a gp surgery in the south east of England. Admin side of things. It’s all this lack of clear info that’s got me anxious. I understand it’s a new virus but surely there must be plans for this scenario ie. a pandemic?!?! I have elderly parents and they worry me the most. You guys are super supportive of one another on here- it’s good to have found the site 😃albeit in such circumstances

Reactions: 33
I am so so angry!

I understand the need to close things down and take stronger measures at the right time. However, telling people #yolo #soz your loved ones will die took them all afternoon? Rage!

• Sad
Reactions: 30
I am so so angry!

I understand the need to close things down and take stronger measures at the right time. However, telling people #yolo #soz your loved ones will die took them all afternoon? Rage!
Exactly this 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 13
The whole thing is a shambles.

People are told to work from home if you can what about people who work in call centres and factories and warehouses there work simply won’t let them have time off approved for self isolation.

I’m still waiting for a call back from 111 but getting worse and worse

• Sad
Reactions: 18
I dont understand why they cant take note from china and italy with having to shut it down , italy is up 2651 cases again today

Reactions: 12
They aren’t doing much well apart from putting economy over people and if we lose a few in the process oh well. I personally will not be going out unless I need to. I won’t be having people in my home when the baby arrives either! And I shall only be taking my children out to open air places not indoor things. I’ll clean my house and wash my hands as much is reasonably possible and that’s really all I can do!

Reactions: 19
I’ve got no choice, I can’t work from home. My partner can’t. It’s a horrible feeling.

• Sad
I can’t help but feel that the government is terrified to make a decision. I think if they showed leadership and clearly told people that schools were closing and to work from home that people might relax a bit.

I work in finance and it seems to me that they’re desperately trying to keep everything “ticking over” for the City of London. The MPs are probably more concerned about keeping our economy afloat than anything else. Investments are apparently more important than people. One thing I am struck by though is that they’re saying to self-isolate with mild symptoms only now that fellow MPs have it - they’re trying to protect their own.

It’s hardly reassuring though, is it? Telling people that their loved ones are going to die whilst not really introducing any measures of value.

My employer have finally provided hand towels, rather than normal ones, but only did this yesterday. One of my Company Directors is self isolating at the moment as he was in close contact with someone who got back from an affected country. My employer only really started contingency planning today and it’s not making me feel hopeful that they will roll out alternative working arrangements any time soon. They’re rather relaxed about the whole thing. I agree with others that without stricter guidelines from the Government and PHE, workplaces will think less of their employees for choosing to self-isolate.

In one sense though, I can understand the government’s position. Whilst we have an open border with the EU, it doesn’t matter what we do anyway. We aren’t able to stop people coming here from there and they could continue to spread the virus, even if we were to close our airports to the rest of the World.

This is a complete mess and whoever it was selling nasty bloodied snakes to eat in Wuhan has a lot to answer for.

Reactions: 11
I’m not scared myself about getting coronavirus and I’ve been pretty much unphased this whole time about it, but Boris Johnson telling us loved ones will die has really struck a chord with me. As someone with elderly grandparents who I love dearly I can’t believe the government aren’t really doing anything about this? They need to at least shut schools, the places are breeding grounds for germs! Funnily enough I work for govt and we haven’t even been told to work from home yet, and I don’t think we will, despite the fact we work in open plan offices and come in to contact with ministers/senior management who travel a lot.

I’m not scared myself about getting coronavirus and I’ve been pretty much unphased this whole time about it, but Boris Johnson telling us loved ones will die has really struck a chord with me. As someone with elderly grandparents who I love dearly I can’t believe the government aren’t really doing anything about this? They need to at least shut schools, the places are breeding grounds for germs! Funnily enough I work for govt and we haven’t even been told to work from home yet, and I don’t think we will, despite the fact we work in open plan offices and come in to contact with ministers/senior management who travel a lot.
I also work for the government. We work from home twice a week as a standard so we know that we could easily keep running if everyone was at home yet there’s been nothing! In a huge open plan office.

Reactions: 4
I'm getting really worried about this now, just seems like the government dont want to commit to doing anything!! My brother is at uni and works in a bar. He has had a cough for a few days and his temp is 39. He says its just a cold (which obviously it could, and most probably is) and is still going into work tomorrow! (even after the government advice)

Its people like this that is going to spread it round. My mum isnt "elderly" as such (shes 61) with high blood pressure and just doesn't seem concerned or interested in talking about it.

I myself anti-baccing am everything in sight, and have never washed my hands as much in my life!

Feels like I am waking up every morning into a bad dream :(

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
My office is closed until early next week as had a confirmed case. Getting real now. I just hate how in the dark we all are...absolutely no advice to businesses especially those who rely on customers. Even us businesses that don’t we can’t work from home indefinitely, a big chunk of what we do will be hard remotely. Even with all the best technology it’s hard when you’re not face to face with people. Decisions will take longer, things will get missed.

Also I have elderly parents to worry about and my 73 year old mother tells me she’s off to the cinema next week! Enough to turn my hair grey (what isn’t already)

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.