Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My OH has been told he is likely to be redeployed (he works in private healthcare), either to an NHS hospital or to drop curcases and focus on Covid-19 infectious.

All staff quizzed about who they live with, medical conditions etc - I presume to determine how much contact they can have with viral patients.

Most worryingly, being told they will at some point most likely have to give emergency respiratory care to a colleague.

I don’t know where these directives are coming from - the department for health I assume. Nobody knows what’s happening yet, so nice to know the Govt lack of communication goes right down to frontline staff.

He’s told me we are buying extra tins, frozen food etc tomorrow - he’s a very rational and calm person, not at all a knee jerk panic buyer

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Lots of government workers, celebrities etc use old phones to make sensitive phonecalls and texts as smartphones can be hacked whereas old hardware on phones like that can't so easily.
I kinda miss my 3310 🤷‍♀️
ive still got all my old phones. even the first one i could use 4xaa batteries in. bit heavy ha ha. think they all still work 😊

Reactions: 1
Basically by doing this "immunity of the herd" they are basically doing survival of the fittest. If you die you die. What a crappy, crappy approach. All them elderly people, payed tax all their lives, now retired and being fed to the wolves. Disgraceful behaviour to not even try and stop it by any real means. Wash your hands and sing happy birthday bollocks.
thats tories for you

I live in Norfolk and is not having any cases is keeping me sane lol

Reactions: 2
I still have a nokia 100- bought it almost 10 years ago for £11 and it's still going strong!
The corona could eradicate our entire species.... and all that will be left is the Nokia 3310
and the bleeping polenta nobody was desperate enough to buy in Tesco.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I still have a nokia 100- bought it almost 10 years ago for £11 and it's still going strong!

I have an iphone 5 with no SIM card just for school and whatsapp groups I'm in.
Nokia's were the best ;) made to last

Reactions: 3
As a nurse , we advise not to breastfeed if you have any virus or any drugs in system
Drugs I understand but all advice I’ve read regarding viruses is to continue to breastfeed so the baby gets antibodies through the milk. Current advice and research by Dr Jack Newman concurs.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ring 100%
my nephew has all the symptoms too. He’s been told to self isolate along with the rest of the family. Advised to call back if any further problems or 999 for an emergency
Try childrens nurofen (if you can get any). It always brings down my kids temps when Calpol doesn't 😘
Just to add to my last post that my GO

If he is fine in himself just medicate him as you would a normal virus. They will not test him as they are not testing anyone now unless they are struggling at hospital. Keep him home look after him for at least 7 days and only call the doctor or 111 if he is struggling to breathe. Most people and children will only have a mild illness according to my GP friend who has seen and spoken to lots of patients that have had it. You will also need to isolate yourself and anyone else living in the house for 7 days, don’t see any other family members etc or go out
Thank you everyone. I didnt ring as we're advised not too. Hes sleeping now so I'll keep a good eye on him tonight. Thanks again

I used to go Sheffield uni. Ah, the good old Arts Tower!
Me too! Apparently (from Facebook) the infected staff member worked on floor 9. So they closed 9-19. How he managed to get to floor 9 I have without passing the ground floor I have no idea!! Hope the paternoster isn’t out of bounds (if it’s still there)- great fun!

Does anyone have any idea if certain areas are safer than others? I’m currently staying with family in a small town in Norfolk but I live in London (I’m due to travel back tomorrow). Am I more likely to catch it in London? Would I be better off staying in Norfolk?

Apologies if this is a stupid question!
London has the highest cases in the UK so based on numbers and how close you are in contact with others, general rule of thumb means you're more likely to catch something here.

So if this idea of the herd immunity is to work, then why haven't the at risk groups been advised to self isolate as a precaution? All they've had to add to the general wash your hands mantra is not to go on cruises if you're 70+. As previous posters have said, there are a lot of older people out and about not seeming to care, surely they should be told to keep safe whilst the 60-80% of us get the virus, supposedly recover then protect them?!

Reactions: 5
I was listening to a podcast earlier on YouTube, (I have linked below) and it was mentioned that you are more likely to catch covid at a small family gathering than a large outdoor event.

Even if transmission was less likely outdoors, it's not taking into account that people travel on trains buses etc to the events and like the game on Wednesday with people coming from spain, there is often mingling at pubs etc too.

Its therefore not just about the outdoor event itself but everything that leads up to it and afterwards too.

We live in crazy times Tattlers.

NO mention of it at all at work. We were as busy as usual with plenty of tables sat in the restaurant.
When I asked if anything was in place, my boss just said “just make sure you wash your hands”

I think my boss is Boris Johnson.

They don’t seem to think it will effect the business at all which is a little naive.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
So if this idea of the herd immunity is to work, then why haven't the at risk groups been advised to self isolate as a precaution? All they've had to add to the general wash your hands mantra is not to go on cruises if you're 70+. As previous posters have said, there are a lot of older people out and about not seeming to care, surely they should be told to keep safe whilst the 60-80% of us get the virus, supposedly recover then protect them?!
I think the attitude with the older people is because" that's what they did yrs ago ",my MIL and mother said yrs ago any infectious disease going round measles, mumps, etc people used to let the children "catch it " strange as it may seem.But that was the way then ,they reckon the only Red Book they were interested in was the one Eamonn Andrews had on "this is your life " the one the health visitor issued was clap trap ..They said children were far healthier yrs ago than they are now ?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.