Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it just the teachers move class and pupils stay put ? I can't see many washing blazers and not many will be able to afford 5 uniforms..
I can’t imagine that would work for some subjects that require certain facilities like cooking, science, d&t etc. Unless they won’t be doing practical subjects anymore? Also classes get mixed so they may have morning register with their form group but then go to a french lesson with kids from other form groups. It just wouldn’t work.

It’s frustrating hearing the government make excuse after excuse. For once it would be nice for them to hold their hands up and say “I fucked up” they make themselves look so foolish, they must think so little of the British public.

Reactions: 1
It would be impossible to teach secondary if the kids didn't move. Think of all the different subject combinations the senior pupils have and the different equipment they need for each. For example a pupil doing A Level Chemistry, Home Ec and Art - impossible to that all in the one room. And in most schools each pupil has a bespoke subject combination so they couldn't even group them together in bubbles. It's a nightmare.
So maybe for a couple of years the schools have to stop offering such a wide choice and switch to a slimmed down set of three or four different combinations that everyone has to choose from. A science-y track, an arty track, a language-y track. Kids will have to choose one track and thus be taught in the same class groups every day. Obviously not ideal but better than just giving up on education altogether, which seems to have beenthe government's education response so far.

Just heard there was a fight involving about 20 people outside of a pub near me last night. I find it ridiculous that they are open with bare minimum measures in place yet we can’t walk around shop without a mask. People love to have a go at people who refuse to wear them but no one cares about the lack of social distancing in pubs.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Your right to breathe is not being taken away 🙄🙄
No, your right to breathe freely is; please don't misquote my post to deliberately misinterpret my point!

I mean by this that wearing a mask restricts your breathing to short shallow breaths, which can trigger anxiety and panic in some people. In such circumstances you're advised to take a few deep breaths to calm your self down but of course you can't breathe deeply because you're wearing a mask, which in turn makes you feel even more anxious!

And the other issue I have is that the government has set no time limit on how long compulsory mask wearing will last; had they said they'll review it after a fortnight to see if it's had any effect more people would be more supportive. There's speculation it could last into next year, and who's to say that if it's successful they might make it permanent, which would effectively keep people with anxiety issues away from shops for good? Once you've lost a form of freedom, however small, it can be very hard to get it back.

No, your right to breathe freely is; please don't misquote my post to deliberately misinterpret my point!

I mean by this that wearing a mask restricts your breathing to short shallow breaths, which can trigger anxiety and panic in some people. In such circumstances you're advised to take a few deep breaths to calm your self down but of course you can't breathe deeply because you're wearing a mask, which in turn makes you feel even more anxious!

And the other issue I have is that the government has set no time limit on how long compulsory mask wearing will last; had they said they'll review it after a fortnight to see if it's had any effect more people would be more supportive. There's speculation it could last into next year, and who's to say that if it's successful they might make it permanent, which would effectively keep people with anxiety issues away from shops for good? Once you've lost a form of freedom, however small, it can be very hard to get it back.
I really don't see how the time limit is an issue though? In the middle of a fast moving pandemic it is literally impossible to say how long you need masks for. It seems obvious that this would have to be on a rolling basis.

I understand it isn't pleasant and some people have more of an issue wearing them and others, I'm not disputing that but I have a real problem when people wrap it up as losing a freedom. Your freedoms stop were they put others in danger. It has always been that way in the UK, your actions, your freedom to speech etc all stop when it then negatively affects others.

So maybe for a couple of years the schools have to stop offering such a wide choice and switch to a slimmed down set of three or four different combinations that everyone has to choose from. A science-y track, an arty track, a language-y track. Kids will have to choose one track and thus be taught in the same class groups every day. Obviously not ideal but better than just giving up on education altogether, which seems to have beenthe government's education response so far.
Our education system is so based around attainment and progression to uni that I think this would be impossible to do and detrimental to spring it on kids now. It is penning kids into one track for life really because their studying was so niche at like 16. Plus what would you do for things like architecture which is both science and mathy but also requires art?
Plus kids of gcse age and below will need to be exposed to all subjects at their young age.

Just heard there was a fight involving about 20 people outside of a pub near me last night. I find it ridiculous that they are open with bare minimum measures in place yet we can’t walk around shop without a mask. People love to have a go at people who refuse to wear them but no one cares about the lack of social distancing in pubs.
I think some people just don't care no matter where they are. The same people fighting in a pub are probably the one not wearing masks on the bus, not social distancing in supermarkets etc

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to a pub, granted I've only been once to one place, but the tables were spread out, you didn't go up to the bar to order drinks so you weren't mixing with other groups & you couldn't stand so once the tables filled they stopped letting people in. Anytime I went for a wee I would see big burly men, just the type who look like they might not give a tit about the virus in a pub sanitising their hands any time they walked past a dispenser.

I think they should have opted for something more like the Irish model and only opened places that did food, rather than bars and pubs though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I think this would be incredibly unfair on current pupils, i appreciate were in tricky times but to not allow diversity of subject could end up detrimental. A lot of students especially GCSE age dont know where they want to end up so do subjects from a range of areas to keep options open for the future, same to an extend for A-Levels. It would be unfair to restrict such an extent. I am a bit of the opinion of (depending on how the second wave comes) aim for normality and have a back up plan if not, but to heavily limit choice would not be fair and would have a very long term impact.

Reactions: 5
It would be impossible to teach secondary if the kids didn't move. Think of all the different subject combinations the senior pupils have and the different equipment they need for each. For example a pupil doing A Level Chemistry, Home Ec and Art - impossible to that all in the one room. And in most schools each pupil has a bespoke subject combination so they couldn't even group them together in bubbles. It's a nightmare.
It's a big headache for schools ,we don't even know when ours are going back yet or if they're going back full time . Our schools are smaller than English schools so it's even worse here..

If it causes distress I don't think you have to wear them according to the press..

Last edited:
I think this would be incredibly unfair on current pupils, i appreciate were in tricky times but to not allow diversity of subject could end up detrimental. A lot of students especially GCSE age dont know where they want to end up so do subjects from a range of areas to keep options open for the future, same to an extend for A-Levels. It would be unfair to restrict such an extent. I am a bit of the opinion of (depending on how the second wave comes) aim for normality and have a back up plan if not, but to heavily limit choice would not be fair and would have a very long term impact.
I know it's unfair, like I said it's not ideal, but it's better than just giving up on education altogether.

Are there to be more lockdowns.. I heard on the radio a drive in musical tour has been cancelled after government advice over lockdowns?

Are there to be more lockdowns.. I heard on the radio a drive in musical tour has been cancelled after government advice over lockdowns?
I was supposed to be going to a drive in concert that has been cancelled due to worries if people getting out of their car to dance ans then not distancing etc. No local lockdown here though. They changed the event to a drive in cinema for now and postponed the concert until August.

I was supposed to be going to a drive in concert that has been cancelled due to worries if people getting out of their car to dance ans then not distancing etc. No local lockdown here though. They changed the event to a drive in cinema for now and postponed the concert until August.
I don't know it was on the news (radio) it said something about government advice regarding lockdowns ..SIX the musical is called ?

I don't know it was on the news (radio) it said something about government advice regarding lockdowns ..SIX the musical is called ?
Ah I’m not sure about actual theatre shows! Disappointing as you’d hope they’d be able to go ahead if they were drive in and get some money back into theatres and the entertainment industry.

Yes there was supposed to be a nationl tour of Six The Musical to about 10 drive-in locations but it got canned yesterday. It is a 45 or so minutes long show with six actresses (playing the wives of Henry VIII) and three musicians, all delivered in a very dancy upbeat concert style, it's really a very good show. the same locations were also going to be doing "normal" concerts and comedy nights as well. Whole lot appears to have been cancelled, not just Six.

Publically they are blaming uncertainty about local lockdowns, however knowing how many people are needed to put on these shows and the costs of equipment and venue hire etc having been involved with large outdoor events in the past, I always thought they had simply priced the tickets waaaay too cheap to actually make any money. I just couldn't see how they were doing it without massive government or local council subsidy. So I suspect that either they came to their senses and realised they were going to lose a ton of money or an insurer pulled the plug or something like that. Very sad either way.

There's various companies trying to do drive-in movies in mostly temporary venues at the moment, it's a bit cheaper to put those on as you don't need quite so many people "backstage" as it were, but even with them and their relatively small audience capability vs the cost of staff/marshalls and equipment, I can't see how they're making any money to make it worthwhile either, so I'm expecting them to fall over soon as well. The ones I've seen photos of haven't been that well attended anyway.

Reactions: 5
Wonder what this is about!
How about "Now we're making masks compulsory we don't need to socially distance any more so we're going to scrap the silly "1 metre plus" rule that's limiting shops' capacity and causing people to jump into oncoming traffic to avoid passing other people on the pavement"?

• Haha
How about "Now we're making masks compulsory we don't need to socially distance any more so we're going to scrap the silly "1 metre plus" rule that's limiting shops' capacity and causing people to jump into oncoming traffic to avoid passing other people on the pavement"?
I think we’ve got more chance of hell freezing over than that being the announcement :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Yes there was supposed to be a nationl tour of Six The Musical to about 10 drive-in locations but it got canned yesterday. It is a 45 or so minutes long show with six actresses (playing the wives of Henry VIII) and three musicians, all delivered in a very dancy upbeat concert style, it's really a very good show. the same locations were also going to be doing "normal" concerts and comedy nights as well. Whole lot appears to have been cancelled, not just Six.

Publically they are blaming uncertainty about local lockdowns, however knowing how many people are needed to put on these shows and the costs of equipment and venue hire etc having been involved with large outdoor events in the past, I always thought they had simply priced the tickets waaaay too cheap to actually make any money. I just couldn't see how they were doing it without massive government or local council subsidy. So I suspect that either they came to their senses and realised they were going to lose a ton of money or an insurer pulled the plug or something like that. Very sad either way.

There's various companies trying to do drive-in movies in mostly temporary venues at the moment, it's a bit cheaper to put those on as you don't need quite so many people "backstage" as it were, but even with them and their relatively small audience capability vs the cost of staff/marshalls and equipment, I can't see how they're making any money to make it worthwhile either, so I'm expecting them to fall over soon as well. The ones I've seen photos of haven't been that well attended anyway.
Aww that's unfortunate I've never heard of the show tbh ,I just heard it on the radio . They must have decided to cut their losses..

maybe another regional lockdown?
Isn't Blackburn on the rise ? they're rushing in the mask policy here they want it done before the months out ,I'm wondering what's going on it's all very strange and rushed..

Yes that thought did cross my mind too. Did they have a specific briefing for Leicester lockdown? Can't remember
Yes they did remember it was at 9pm

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.