Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was a bbc article yesterday talking about how they think there were cases much earlier than the date in Feb. The medical journalist had tested positive for antibodies but he’s not been ill since the first case was discovered. He did however have pneumonia in jan and a lot of people wrote to him to say isn’t that odd. I shared the article on fb and a doctor friend said there is a theory that this is the second wave as it couldn’t have been contained since nov in Wuhan (when they suspect the first case was) then we got jumped on by somebody who started quoting stuff at all about us being wrong 😂 it was just a theory let’s face it none of us actually have a bloody clue 😂 so please don’t shoot me down here. I’ve not posted a single thing on fb about it for the reason I haven’t got the energy or the expertise to get into a debate but I know everybody on here has lots of different ideas and it’s good to hear other perspectives

Don’t know of this man but I thought it was interesting
I also had really bad ‘suspected’ pneumonia in January and then my Grandad caught whatever I had and was in bed for two weeks with ‘suspected’ pneumonia, I am sure that pneumonia isn’t contagious. He actually said to me, “Don’t tell your Nan this....But this week I actually thought I was going to die, I really couldn’t breathe...” I am certain that we both had it as I was also so poorly to the point that I stayed in bed for a week and my Nana babysat downstairs whilst my other half was at work. However no other family members caught it, my children didn’t and my partner had very very mild fatigue and a bit of a cough.

Reactions: 5
I also had really bad ‘suspected’ pneumonia in January and then my Grandad caught whatever I had and was in bed for two weeks with ‘suspected’ pneumonia, I am sure that pneumonia isn’t contagious. He actually said to me, “Don’t tell your Nan this....But this week I actually thought I was going to die, I really couldn’t breathe...” I am certain that we both had it as I was also so poorly to the point that I stayed in bed for a week and my Nana babysat downstairs whilst my other half was at work. However no other family members caught it, my children didn’t and my partner had very very mild fatigue and a bit of a cough.
It could be he just reacted to it in a different way. I know quite a few people who developed pneumonia around Christmas/jan time. I’ve never experienced that before unless I’m just getting to the age where people just get pneumonia 😂 I had something in Feb where I lost my sense of taste and I thought it was sinusitis and I heard kate garraway say her husband thought he had sinisitus before he was admitted. My son and husband had z fever at the same time. That just seems too coincidental to me. I suppose we won’t know without these antigen tests

I'm pretty sure the talk of a second wave does not mean a small spike. So the second wave wouldn't have occurred after easter or VE day parties, that would be a spike during the first wave. The second wave would be months away from now. Chris Whitty and Valance have said a second wave is extremely common with any new virus, it isn't purely based on Spanish Flu.
There’s a lot of talk out that we’ve just gone through the second peak but that’s coming from doctors and consultants

• Heart
Reactions: 8
There’s a lot of talk out that we’ve just gone through the second peak but that’s coming from doctors and consultants
Is there really a lot of talk though? I can’t find a single reputable source reporting that.

Is there really a lot of talk though? I can’t find a single reputable source reporting that.
I don’t think people would report it at this stage anyway as it’s an uncertainly but I posted earlier that a doctor had also said this to me also so I suspect it’s conjecture between medical professionals at the minute.

Reactions: 1
I work with respiratory consultants and that’s all they were commenting on and they said fellow respiratory consultants in the north east felt the same way

Reactions: 4

The speech delivered at George Floyd’s memorial is incredibly powerful and might give people some insight into the justification for these protests. The fact is there is always a problem when black people demand equality, remember the peaceful take a knee protests? People in power still had a problem with that, that wasn’t the appropriate method of protest either. This video might give you a small sense of the frustration POC are feeling and why change is needed today, not tomorrow. It would be great if we only ever had to deal with one problem at a time, but we don’t have that luxury and these voices need to be heard. Given ikea, homesense and garden centres can open and all other retail can open next week I don’t the lockdown argument really exists anymore. If I can go out to the beach for a picnic, pop by Ikea on the way home for a chest of drawers and into homesense for a candle then why can’t people take a stand against systemic racism? I’ll give you a hint one is important for society right now and one isn’t. Going to bleeping Ikea but attempting to silence the voices of black lives is white privilege at its finest.
Yes there were queues outside our little IKEA on Saturday and Sunday. Really? In the rain you want to stand in a queue for an hour to buy some tealights? People have been going to the shops as a family outing again which is irritating at the best of times. The protests went have helped and the people who decided to join in just for a tear up who couldn't care less about Black lives matter certainly havent helped but it wont be the only reason for a second peak. At least most of them are young and wore masks.

• Angry
Reactions: 2
I was quite focused early on, on schools re-opening as normal in September. I suppose it was a coping strategy to have that as a goal of when life would be normal again. However over the last couple of weeks it's really dawned on me that this just isn't likely. How on earth are school going to manage to accommodate everyone safely?! I suppose it's more likely that the schools will operate a rota system for different year groups/days of the week. One of my children is due to start secondary school in Sept and he's really anxious about it.

The knock on effect of this realisation has made me feel quite unsettled about the future. There are days where I feel quite angry about it all but like someone said earlier, I'm trying to focus on the things I can control.

We haven't been anywhere other than the local park. As much as I'd like to go to other places, everywhere seems so jam packed. I have decided though that if places are open and we are 'allowed' to, we will go on our summer holiday (UK based). We'll just stay on the site and the attached beach. I feel okish about this but mainly because I think our family have already had Covid so we wouldn't be too much of a risk to others (I don't know what to think about being able to get it again etc).

It all just feels a bit bleak in terms of the rest of the year. I'm worried about our future in terms of job security, cost of living increasing etc. I long for things to be normal again but fear normal as we know it is gone forever. Sorry for the long post.
Secondary school teacher here. We’ve been told by our head that it won’t be back to normal for quite some time and that “blended learning” will be the new normal (a combination of in school and online learning)

• Sad
926805F9-D644-4ED3-B84A-2441860E9974.png

Facebook removed over the weekend. Absolutely sick of the virtual signalling, home made party political broadcasts and accusations of racism because people don’t agree that now is a good time to be protesting because of C-19 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t understand the blanket 14 day quarantine for travellers coming from outside of the U.K./ROI. A German man on the news pointed out that he was travelling to an area that was very low risk so it seemed illogical that he’d have to self quarantine when returning to a relatively high risk area (U.K.). If the government is keen to get the economy moving again, wouldn’t it make sense to only enforce quarantine on people travelling from high risk areas?

Or is it largely to prevent people from unnecessarily travelling as few people will want to/can afford to self quarantine for 2 weeks plus whatever quarantine in the destination country?

Reactions: 1
I have just dropped my 6 year old off for her first day at school (they are doing alternative weeks) it was nice to see how happy she was to see her friends. I'm happy with my decision to send her back..

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I have just dropped my 6 year old off for her first day at school (they are doing alternative weeks) it was nice to see how happy she was to see her friends. I'm happy with my decision to send her back..
I sent my daughter today. She’s absolutely miserable at home. Having 5-6 tantrums a day, not sleeping well. She’s become very clingy to me like she sits on the floor in the bathroom whilst I shower. She’s obsessing over events that have happened. I don’t know if I’ve done the right thing but stAying at home wasn’t good either 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My 2 year old has sailed into nursery 😁 saw her little friends and was so excited 😀😀😀

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My six year old went back Thursday, we’ve just received a text to say a child in her class developed mild symptoms over the weekend and all children in that Bubble need to isolate until we have test results. If this happens often we may have to consider pulling her out because we can’t afford my partner to be taking days off a couple of times a week, does this mean he should come home from work now and we now have to isolate?!

• Sad
I sent my daughter today. She’s absolutely miserable at home. Having 5-6 tantrums a day, not sleeping well. She’s become very clingy to me like she sits on the floor in the bathroom whilst I shower. She’s obsessing over events that have happened. I don’t know if I’ve done the right thing but stAying at home wasn’t good either 😭
I’m sure she’ll have a lovely time, it really isn’t anything like what some the media have made out. My son is only in 2 days a week and he has already said he wishes he was in today (so do I 😂)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
My six year old went back Thursday, we’ve just received a text to say a child in her class developed mild symptoms over the weekend and all children in that Bubble need to isolate until we have test results. If this happens often we may have to consider pulling her out because we can’t afford my partner to be taking days off a couple of times a week, does this mean he should come home from work now and we now have to isolate?!
Ah hope all is ok. That’s the only thing if one becomes ill they’re all off which is understandable. Hope they all stay well

I’m sure she’ll have a lovely time, it really isn’t anything like what some the media have made out. My son is only in 2 days a week and he has already said he wishes he was in today (so do I 😂)
Ah thank you. There’s 8 in their bubble and she loves the teachers she has (2 as they’re part time) although literally don’t know what to do with myself now, son playing his guitar (as he does most days) baby asleep and low maintenance even when awake he’s a settled little baby. 😂 I’ve just drank a coffee hot! Not happened in 3 months

• Heart

It sounds like the best thing, my 6 year old has been having a lot of mood swings at home. I hope shes enjoys her day. It's hard isnt it to make the decision x

Made myself a sock mask last night out of a new white trainer sock 😂 its not actually that bad 😂 Shoved some kitchen roll down the back and it seems ok.
Using it for the first time today so will see how I go! Not used a mask yet and theres not many people round here using one so I'll probably feel a right wally 😂😂

Reactions: 4
Made myself a sock mask last night out of a new white trainer sock 😂 its not actually that bad 😂 Shoved some kitchen roll down the back and it seems ok.
Using it for the first time today so will see how I go! Not used a mask yet and theres not many people round here using one so I'll probably feel a right wally 😂😂
I felt silly wearing mine (started just after lock-down when not many were), but I forget it's there now! I have to remind myself that I might have to repeat what I'm saying if I mumble a bit because no one can see my mouth haha

Today I went to Tesco and the little town I live in/Post Office and almost everyone was wearing one so it's definitely more the norm than not now. It's actually more noticeable when someone isn't wearing one tbh. They even have them for sale at the door of the M&S food court.

Reactions: 3
Wearing the mask makes my glasses steam up loads which is a pain and dangerous since I’m blind as a bat if I can’t see with my specs 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.