Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve heard of some schools not expecting to be fully open at all this year!
so sad for the kids 😞

Reactions: 1

The speech delivered at George Floyd’s memorial is incredibly powerful and might give people some insight into the justification for these protests. The fact is there is always a problem when black people demand equality, remember the peaceful take a knee protests? People in power still had a problem with that, that wasn’t the appropriate method of protest either. This video might give you a small sense of the frustration POC are feeling and why change is needed today, not tomorrow. It would be great if we only ever had to deal with one problem at a time, but we don’t have that luxury and these voices need to be heard. Given ikea, homesense and garden centres can open and all other retail can open next week I don’t the lockdown argument really exists anymore. If I can go out to the beach for a picnic, pop by Ikea on the way home for a chest of drawers and into homesense for a candle then why can’t people take a stand against systemic racism? I’ll give you a hint one is important for society right now and one isn’t. Going to bleeping Ikea but attempting to silence the voices of black lives is white privilege at its finest.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
My nephew returned to school this week, initially for a half day. Came out so upset and distraught at the 'new normal', his mum was taking him in the next day and he was pleading with her to not make him go in, in floods of tears, so she turned around and took him home. He's in year 6, so that's the end of his primary school journey. Upsets me as he was so desperate to go back and see his friends.
I know the majority of kids are loving it but what is going to happen to those that hate it? Is it emotionally damaging to put them in that situation or is it a case of they'll need to toughen up?

I received a text from my child’s school to say they won’t be opening back up
What region are you in?

• Sad
Reactions: 8
My daughter is literally counting down the days to go back. She’s watched a video sent by the head teacher and is so excited to have her own desk and stationary and no one to bother her 😂 she’s only 6.

Our school is starting their full curriculum learning from Monday with taught daily lessons that will be provided at school or at home (why it’s taken them 10 weeks to do this is beyond me).

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I just got off the phone to my best friend and her nephew is 3 and in bits! He can’t understand where his friends have gone, he’s having panic attacks, night terrors and is becoming a different child! Poor thing!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
My daughter is literally counting down the days to go back. She’s watched a video sent by the head teacher and is so excited to have her own desk and stationary and no one to bother her 😂 she’s only 6.

Our school is starting their full curriculum learning from Monday with taught daily lessons that will be provided at school or at home (why it’s taken them 10 weeks to do this is beyond me).
My eldest (year 4) has been having a spag lesson and class catch up on zoom and will start having 2 maths lessons this week. Not sure why it's taken until now, plus her teacher is now in school all week with the key worker children 🤷‍♀️ Youngest is in year 2 and just has a class catch up, no lessons even though there's only 5 in her year. X

Reactions: 2
My eldest (year 4) has been having a spag lesson and class catch up on zoom and will start having 2 maths lessons this week. Not sure why it's taken until now, plus her teacher is now in school all week with the key worker children 🤷‍♀️ Youngest is in year 2 and just has a class catch up, no lessons even though there's only 5 in her year. X
I think the differnces in approach to home learning is a scandal in itself.

I got an update on Friday that my teacher has been busy doing jigsaw puzzles and going to the garden centre 🤦‍♀️ They are all (unless shielding) now back in school full time as year groups are returning on a weekly basis

• Heart

Love. Your daughter has style 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Well neither government or the who consistant mask wearing.

Me and my kids wear masks when out.
I try do 1 big aldi shop once every 2 weeks.
Then use corner shop or supermarket where I work as top ups so staying very local.

I don't wear a mask at work and wondering of I should.
I'm ok on till as perspex screens
But maybe on shop floor I should .
Also it's been near impossible 2 metres apart from staff during this time as much as I try and when putting stock out customers get too close.
Not all customers wear masks.
No issues masks in hospitals or public transport that seems wise.

Going to order some nice cloth ones.
Your obviously quite worried about your family which is natural. As you are taking all these precautions I would definitely get yourself cloth masks to wear all the time at work. I wasn’t wearing one at the beginning but with more people out and about think it’s more important now. I have 2 reversible ones I always wear when out.

My year 1 also can’t wait to be back and have her own desk!
We’ve had optional work send home, we did it a few times and never took more than 10mins, it bored her so we stopped, no call/video from teacher whatsoever which I think is terrible and the difference even just across our town and the schools is huge.
they won’t be following any curriculum when they return next week as it’s been suspended so just worksheets etc and projects to work on

• Heart
I agree that I am going to continue to follow social distancing rules despite seemingly everyone around me having given up. I'm scared what the Covid outcome from the protests will be. Yes people had already started breaking the rules and going to the beach etc which scared me enough but this is huge very close proximity and changing who you are next to constantly. It's insane when a few weeks ago people were not seeing anyone else at all to now be standing in a crowd of 1000s (10,000s) when that health threat has not changed. I truly understand why people are angry and action is needed but someone must be able to come up with a way to disrupt and protest without physically being together ?
Alternatively if nothing happens spike wise will their be a huge riot and backlash over the past 11 weeks will that destroy the mental health of those hanging by a thread at the moment. This whole situation is insane !!

In terms of schools in Scotland term finishes in 3 weeks. Neither of my kids have had any class zoom calls or direct video calls or video lessons from their teachers.

They are assigned work in google classroom which we complete and hand in. They get back short emails from their teachers with pretty generic responses Keep up the good work etc

There has been no leadership from the senior team. We had one email from the head 3 days after school closed and nothing else. A few emails from the council have been forwarded on with government policy in but no details of anything. There have been no attempts to keep the kids connected to each other, no online assemblies etc No school community.

In the last two weeks they have been asked to send in photos of themselves so the teachers could do PowerPoints for them all to see each others photos.

I am so disappointed in their response to this as o know other parents I have spoken to are too. We are in a well off area and it feels like it has been decided we are all fine to get on with it ourselves. Beyond the teachers saying we can email them if we need anything and occasionally my older child has been asked to send an email to say what they have been up to their has been no check in with how we are coping or how the kids are etc

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I think the differnces in approach to home learning is a scandal in itself.

I got an update on Friday that my teacher has been busy doing jigsaw puzzles and going to the garden centre 🤦‍♀️ They are all (unless shielding) now back in school full time as year groups are returning on a weekly basis
Yes it's not consistent in our school. My youngest gets set quite a lot of work compared to the eldest. The teacher messaged saying he has seen how well the year 4's that have been in school have progressed and a few at home are struggling so would like to trail the lessons with my daughter. She is working below the expected level for her age so I'm so I'm hoping they'll help her 🤞🏼

• Heart
It seems nearly all schools in my area have been told not to open (I think I’m the same area as @Guyyyyyzzzzzz). The R Rate in the North West is back above 1 so not really surprised.

Next weekend I’ve decided to go back to my own house in Nottingham (I came back to my parents in March so I didn’t have to lockdown alone). I need to get back to my normal life.

Reactions: 4
Yes it's not consistent in our school. My youngest gets set quite a lot of work compared to the eldest. The teacher messaged saying he has seen how well the year 4's that have been in school have progressed and a few at home are struggling so would like to trail the lessons with my daughter. She is working below the expected level for her age so I'm so I'm hoping they'll help her 🤞🏼
There seems to be no consistency across our school either. Each year group is getting a different amount and style of work.

Ours schools are set to return a week earlier than they were due to in August and have been told it will be part time in school and part time at home for the whole of Scotland but each school will decide how this will look. No idea when we will get an update. 2 models suggested so far are you either get Monday , Tuesday or Thursday Friday and the school is cleaned on a Wednesday or it will be one week in school and one week at home alternating.

They are going to try and keep siblings on the same rotation. That's all the info we have so far. And no idea how long this will be in place It's going to be so hard for those expected to go back to work !!

Are the schools in England back full time ?

I agree that I am going to continue to follow social distancing rules despite seemingly everyone around me having given up. I'm scared what the Covid outcome from the protests will be. Yes people had already started breaking the rules and going to the beach etc which scared me enough but this is huge very close proximity and changing who you are next to constantly. It's insane when a few weeks ago people were not seeing anyone else at all to now be standing in a crowd of 1000s (10,000s) when that health threat has not changed. I truly understand why people are angry and action is needed but someone must be able to come up with a way to disrupt and protest without physically being together ?
Alternatively if nothing happens spike wise will their be a huge riot and backlash over the past 11 weeks will that destroy the mental health of those hanging by a thread at the moment. This whole situation is insane !!

In terms of schools in Scotland term finishes in 3 weeks. Neither of my kids have had any class zoom calls or direct video calls or video lessons from their teachers.

They are assigned work in google classroom which we complete and hand in. They get back short emails from their teachers with pretty generic responses Keep up the good work etc

There has been no leadership from the senior team. We had one email from the head 3 days after school closed and nothing else. A few emails from the council have been forwarded on with government policy in but no details of anything. There have been no attempts to keep the kids connected to each other, no online assemblies etc No school community.

In the last two weeks they have been asked to send in photos of themselves so the teachers could do PowerPoints for them all to see each others photos.

I am so disappointed in their response to this as o know other parents I have spoken to are too. We are in a well off area and it feels like it has been decided we are all fine to get on with it ourselves. Beyond the teachers saying we can email them if we need anything and occasionally my older child has been asked to send an email to say what they have been up to their has been no check in with how we are coping or how the kids are etc
The communication hasn't been great at our school either. They did start up the zoom catch ups but only 3 weeks ago, the last zoom meeting we were sent the details for 3 or 4 mins before the meeting!!
I've had 1 phone call from the head teacher to check we had received our free school meal vouchers, 1 from year 4 teacher and nothing from year 2 teacher. Other local schools are doing weekly phone calls, online lessons, newsletters etc.
Ours isn't even a big school, must be 50-60 pupils max

The communication hasn't been great at our school either. They did start up the zoom catch ups but only 3 weeks ago, the last zoom meeting we were sent the details for 3 or 4 mins before the meeting!!
I've had 1 phone call from the head teacher to check we had received our free school meal vouchers, 1 from year 4 teacher and nothing from year 2 teacher. Other local schools are doing weekly phone calls, online lessons, newsletters etc.
Ours isn't even a big school, must be 50-60 pupils max
Yes I have heard other schools in our area doing phone call check ins and I know the school 5 mins away has had online assemblies and class video groups. They also made stationary from the school available in the local co op if anyone needed jotters or glue sticks etc

I can't believe our head teacher hasn't done a newsletter or a single checking in email in 11 weeks !

There are several online challenges happening in our local council etc and the school has not promoted them to us for the kids to take part. I'm on the PTA and we decided a few weeks ago to use our FB page to share these things and trying and get some of the kids involved as the school weren't doing it.

I feel bad moaning as I'm sure my kids teachers are working hard but I feel so disappointed in the head and the senior team for a seemingly complete lack of leadership.

Last edited:
  • Wow
It’s really patchy what the kids are going too in Engalnd, depends on the school and how they can meet social distancing. Mine is back full-time, but the majority of parents aren’t returning their children so they can. None of the other neighbouring schools are doing this and one is refusing to reopen at all.

Reactions: 3
IMO the Dominic Cummings fiasco gave Some people a bit of a green light to do as they please. There are definitely more comings and goings where we live. I think once the shops open on the 15th it will relax more in terms of people ’rule breaking’. The rules are now a bit foggy in many's peoples heads and others are just willing to take a risk for some normality.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.