Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I dont think ours will be. They just keep pushing it back.
The schools going back offers many the hope that things are getting back to some kind of normal. Until this happens I think many of us will feel unsettled.

Reactions: 3
The schools going back offers many the hope that things are getting back to some kind of normal. Until this happens I think many of us will feel unsettled.
Yes I completely agree. It's the kids I'm feeling most sorry for. It's like they have forgotten or are too anxious, to interact and play with each other 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 6
It’s really patchy what the kids are going too in Engalnd, depends on the school and how they can meet social distancing. Mine is back full-time, but the majority of parents aren’t returning their children so they can. None of the other neighbouring schools are doing this and one is refusing to reopen at all.
I don't think ours will be able to take many more on. There's 5 in the key worker class 2 are siblings so sit at the same table and there's 1 empty desk. The other class and school hall are the same size so can only fit another 10 out of 50/60

Reactions: 1
I don't think ours will be able to take many more on. There's 5 in the key worker class 2 are siblings so sit at the same table and there's 1 empty desk. The other class and school hall are the same size so can only fit another 10 out of 50/60
Mine can take 12 per class of 30, but it’s a modern school and each classroom has its own toilets etc

Are the schools in England back full time ?
Depends entirely on the school. 4 primary schools in my town, one is open to 2 days per year group, 1 not open yet at all, one only open to keyworker children and one is doing part time morning or afternoon for the selected year groups, with an hour in between so classrooms can be deep cleaned.

Our school has been brilliant with home learning, weekly newsletters, weekly contact with teachers, weekly work set both online and tasks to cater for those without internet access. Videos and pictures have to be sent to teachers each week so they can see what work is being completed and then alter the learning for each child. Home deliveries of workbooks and reading books.
My year 1 child has been given some year 2 work in both maths and english because they've seen from videos and photos he needs moving on. They won't be teaching the curriculum in my childs school when it opens, that's one of the reasons i would rather have him at home because i know he would become really bored doing the tasks in school, he just doesn't suit that style of learning, he needs to be challenged constantly. Home learning really suits him, i feel really grateful that the school's are not fining parents keeping their children at home and that they've given parents the option. I do feel for those children who don't suit home learning in years 2-5 though, i feel like it should be on an all or nothing basis personally.
I know some parents are really struggling mentally and their children would benefit from being back but don't have the option because their child isnt in one of the listed years.
Our school has said it wont open for years 2-6 this academic year, so those parents won't even have a choice.

My nephew returned to school this week, initially for a half day. Came out so upset and distraught at the 'new normal', his mum was taking him in the next day and he was pleading with her to not make him go in, in floods of tears, so she turned around and took him home. He's in year 6, so that's the end of his primary school journey. Upsets me as he was so desperate to go back and see his friends.
I know the majority of kids are loving it but what is going to happen to those that hate it? Is it emotionally damaging to put them in that situation or is it a case of they'll need to toughen up?

What region are you in?

I’m in the northwest

Reactions: 2
There will have to be some changes made over the summer break to accommodate children in the new term. Even if teaching is only a couple of days a week basis to accommodate all. The government need to get creative and offer some practical solutions. September isn’t that far away and then it’s Christmas. Maybe they need to work through October half term to accommodate more children. Things won’t be normal in September and before we know it our children won’t have been in school for nearly a year.

Reactions: 5
I dont think ours will be. They just keep pushing it back.
Can you imagine if no school whatsoever now until 2010 though?! I know they’re getting certain years back, but those with kids not in those specified years, another 6 months at home!

Can you imagine if no school whatsoever now until 2010 though?! I know they’re getting certain years back, but those with kids not in those specified years, another 6 months at home!
Mines in Y1 and shes not going back any time soon. Not my choice, I'd send her tomorrow.

Oh god. I thought they ment to end of the school year in july. Not 2021, fml not not cut out for this 😂

Our school have been very good, plenty of work and frequent calls. We are very lucky and I am aware of that, however it doesn’t make up for the school experience and motivation to complete work is running low.

Haha my year 1 is back tomorrow (Full time) and we’re really pleased and positive about the plans the school have known place, but no idea how they’d manage a full school in unless completely back to normal

• Heart
I’m dreading my wee boy starting primary school in August. These are not ideal conditions and he struggles enough with changes due to having additional needs. I have no idea how they expect us to homeschool part of the time while reducing his time in school. I work night shift so my days are for sleeping unless I’m off.

When is my husband ever going to be able to get back to work if he has to be there for the children? He was about to start a new job just before this whole fiasco kicked off so is currently in limbo, no furlough etc). My youngest is supposed to be starting nursery in August too but we have heard nothing, and apparently the extra funded hours we were relying on have been scrapped for the moment.

We can’t afford to live like this. We are struggling to get by as is. Sorry for the rant, I’m not asking for solutions I know everyone is in the same boat at the moment, I’m just finding it difficult to see how this will work. I also fear my son has regressed a bit without the structure he had at nursery. It’s been very stressful.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m dreading my wee boy starting primary school in August. These are not ideal conditions and he struggles enough with changes due to having additional needs. I have no idea how they expect us to homeschool part of the time while reducing his time in school. I work night shift so my days are for sleeping unless I’m off.

When is my husband ever going to be able to get back to work if he has to be there for the children? He was about to start a new job just before this whole fiasco kicked off so is currently in limbo, no furlough etc). My youngest is supposed to be starting nursery in August too but we have heard nothing, and apparently the extra funded hours we were relying on have been scrapped for the moment.

We can’t afford to live like this. We are struggling to get by as is. Sorry for the rant, I’m not asking for solutions I know everyone is in the same boat at the moment, I’m just finding it difficult to see how this will work. I also fear my son has regressed a bit without the structure he had at nursery. It’s been very stressful.
Hey Buzz, I think there are many people in your situation or similar. Many children are feeling the effect of little interaction with others, mine included. I feel a proper ‘kickstart’ date is needed that we need to work towards. At the moment it feels like we are pissing in the wind, for want of a better analogy. It feels Like a bit of a given that this whole year is a right off.

• Heart
There will have to be some changes made over the summer break to accommodate children in the new term. Even if teaching is only a couple of days a week basis to accommodate all. The government need to get creative and offer some practical solutions. September isn’t that far away and then it’s Christmas. Maybe they need to work through October half term to accommodate more children. Things won’t be normal in September and before we know it our children won’t have been in school for nearly a year.
I was quite focused early on, on schools re-opening as normal in September. I suppose it was a coping strategy to have that as a goal of when life would be normal again. However over the last couple of weeks it's really dawned on me that this just isn't likely. How on earth are school going to manage to accommodate everyone safely?! I suppose it's more likely that the schools will operate a rota system for different year groups/days of the week. One of my children is due to start secondary school in Sept and he's really anxious about it.

The knock on effect of this realisation has made me feel quite unsettled about the future. There are days where I feel quite angry about it all but like someone said earlier, I'm trying to focus on the things I can control.

We haven't been anywhere other than the local park. As much as I'd like to go to other places, everywhere seems so jam packed. I have decided though that if places are open and we are 'allowed' to, we will go on our summer holiday (UK based). We'll just stay on the site and the attached beach. I feel okish about this but mainly because I think our family have already had Covid so we wouldn't be too much of a risk to others (I don't know what to think about being able to get it again etc).

It all just feels a bit bleak in terms of the rest of the year. I'm worried about our future in terms of job security, cost of living increasing etc. I long for things to be normal again but fear normal as we know it is gone forever. Sorry for the long post.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was quite focused early on, on schools re-opening as normal in September. I suppose it was a coping strategy to have that as a goal of when life would be normal again. However over the last couple of weeks it's really dawned on me that this just isn't likely. How on earth are school going to manage to accommodate everyone safely?! I suppose it's more likely that the schools will operate a rota system for different year groups/days of the week. One of my children is due to start secondary school in Sept and he's really anxious about it.

The knock on effect of this realisation has made me feel quite unsettled about the future. There are days where I feel quite angry about it all but like someone said earlier, I'm trying to focus on the things I can control.

We haven't been anywhere other than the local park. As much as I'd like to go to other places, everywhere seems so jam packed. I have decided though that if places are open and we are 'allowed' to, we will go on our summer holiday (UK based). We'll just stay on the site and the attached beach. I feel okish about this but mainly because I think our family have already had Covid so we wouldn't be too much of a risk to others (I don't know what to think about being able to get it again etc).

It all just feels a bit bleak in terms of the rest of the year. I'm worried about our future in terms of job security, cost of living increasing etc. I long for things to be normal again but fear normal as we know it is gone forever. Sorry for the long post.
I understand, especially for your child that is starting seniors. Thats a massive change as it is. Our year 6 have gone back to help prepare them for senior move , I guess that’s not an option for yours? I think early on I thought to myself that it was ludicrous that the children would be off till September and now even September seems unlikely. I truly believe a whole year will have passed by the time the time schools see any chink of normality and even then some things will be here to stay. I cancelled everything I could that I had booked, I didn’t want to live on a wing and prayer that I might be able to go somewhere, that pressure has now gone and offers some relief. We have been at home for three full months and I honestly can’t see that changing any time soon. Any trips out result in us wanting to get back home, it’s like being institutionalised!

Yea that'll be the only way it could work in our school. There's not even much room to put porta cabins in for extra space

I understand, especially for your child that is starting seniors. Thats a massive change as it is. Our year 6 have gone back to help prepare them for senior move , I guess that’s not an option for yours? I think early on I thought to myself that it was ludicrous that the children would be off till September and now even September seems unlikely. I truly believe a whole year will have passed by the time the time schools see any chink of normality and even then some things will be here to stay. I cancelled everything I could that I had booked, I didn’t want to live on a wing and prayer that I might be able to go somewhere, that pressure has now gone and offers some relief. We have been at home for three full months and I honestly can’t see that changing any time soon. Any trips out result in us wanting to get back home, it’s like being institutionalised!
His school has opened for year 6 and we really wrestled with what to do for the best. He was initially keen on going back but when I explained the changes that would be in place he got very upset. There was also a lot of pressure from our school watsapp groups as well as some unofficial info from the teachers (via a parent) that if parents didn't need to send the children in for work or other needs then they shouldn't. It really added a lot of extra pressure and guilt to an already difficult decision.

I think the school may offer again for more children in R, Yr1 and Yr6 go back next month, so we may reconsider at that point. My son has also become very upset because he thinks he doesn't have as many friends as he thought. He's been trying to play online with members of his friendship group but they have been ignoring his requests to join the game etc. It's awful to see his confidence being shattered. Maybe being back at school would help that.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My nephew returned to school this week, initially for a half day. Came out so upset and distraught at the 'new normal', his mum was taking him in the next day and he was pleading with her to not make him go in, in floods of tears, so she turned around and took him home. He's in year 6, so that's the end of his primary school journey. Upsets me as he was so desperate to go back and see his friends.
I know the majority of kids are loving it but what is going to happen to those that hate it? Is it emotionally damaging to put them in that situation or is it a case of they'll need to toughen up?

What region are you in?
It might be because the older age groups will have the biggest adjustments,don't forget they've already experienced school life before all of this, where as reception age everything will be new and they'll be starting off on the right foot so to speak.This is what I find odd the different regions are taking a different approach with the schooling, we've been given no return date and they've said even after a phased date possibly after September (key workers kids priority)the school will only ever operate on a part-time basis ,remote learning seems to be what they're looking at. They've purchased thousands of pounds worth of lap tops to distribute to less well off families.They said it's impossible to open the schools in a safe manner, yet the other regions are opening theirs and deeming them safe ..It's the same virus I don't get it ?

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.