Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
His school has opened for year 6 and we really wrestled with what to do for the best. He was initially keen on going back but when I explained the changes that would be in place he got very upset. There was also a lot of pressure from our school watsapp groups as well as some unofficial info from the teachers (via a parent) that if parents didn't need to send the children in for work or other needs then they shouldn't. It really added a lot of extra pressure and guilt to an already difficult decision.

I think the school may offer again for more children in R, Yr1 and Yr6 go back next month, so we may reconsider at that point. My son has also become very upset because he thinks he doesn't have as many friends as he thought. He's been trying to play online with members of his friendship group but they have been ignoring his requests to join the game etc. It's awful to see his confidence being shattered. Maybe being back at school would help that.
I am not a member of any WhatsApp groups for reasons like this . Inside info and other parents views are often unhelpful and cloud our judgement. May I respectfully suggest you have another think, the reason I say this is that the overwhelming majority of children that have returned have had a much better day than they or their parent thought. For sure it will be very different from normal school but there is a chance to interact with other children that may or may not be in their immediate friendship group. I also think online gaming makes them insular and I use my own children as an example, they don’t interact with their friends as normal because it’s not a normal situation. I say all of this as a fellow parent not as someone being judgemental.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It might be because the older age groups will have the biggest adjustments,don't forget they've already experienced school life before all of this, where as reception age everything will be new and they'll be starting off on the right foot so to speak.This is what I find odd the different regions are taking a different approach with the schooling, we've been given no return date and they've said even after a phased date possibly after September (key workers kids priority)the school will only ever operate on a part-time basis ,remote learning seems to be what they're looking at. They've purchased thousands of pounds worth of lap tops to distribute to less well off families.They said it's impossible to open the schools in a safe manner, yet the other regions are opening theirs and deeming them safe ..It's the same virus I don't get it ?
I think that will be the case for most, maybe years 4-7, where they've been in school long enough to know whats what but they arent mentally as capable at the older kids to deal with the new measures. I just wonder what will happen to those kids? I know it won't be every child but these are things they should be thinking about.

I don't know how our school will do it come September. They have 2 classrooms per year, so 14 classrooms. 27-30 children per class, 3 bubbles per class, so 6 bubbles per year.
That's 42 classrooms they need and they have 14, plus 2 halls...so the only options are bigger bubbles and part time for every year.
And i really believe it's either safe to open to all pupils on whatever hours or none at all.

His school has opened for year 6 and we really wrestled with what to do for the best. He was initially keen on going back but when I explained the changes that would be in place he got very upset. There was also a lot of pressure from our school watsapp groups as well as some unofficial info from the teachers (via a parent) that if parents didn't need to send the children in for work or other needs then they shouldn't. It really added a lot of extra pressure and guilt to an already difficult decision.

I think the school may offer again for more children in R, Yr1 and Yr6 go back next month, so we may reconsider at that point. My son has also become very upset because he thinks he doesn't have as many friends as he thought. He's been trying to play online with members of his friendship group but they have been ignoring his requests to join the game etc. It's awful to see his confidence being shattered. Maybe being back at school would help that.
Our school have out and out said if you can safely keep your child at home you should. And when you read the letters about reopening you can see they are trying to deter parents from it.
You should do what is best for your son and your situation. Every child and family set up is different.

I think that will be the case for most, maybe years 4-7, where they've been in school long enough to know whats what but they arent mentally as capable at the older kids to deal with the new measures. I just wonder what will happen to those kids? I know it won't be every child but these are things they should be thinking about.

I don't know how our school will do it come September. They have 2 classrooms per year, so 14 classrooms. 27-30 children per class, 3 bubbles per class, so 6 bubbles per year.
That's 42 classrooms they need and they 14, plus 2 halls...so the only options are bigger bubbles and part time for every year.
And i really believe it's either safe to open to all pupils on whatever hours or none at all.
That sounds like our school in terms of size ..That's why I find the UK briefings really odd their stance is different to what we're told here ,how can one virus differ across the board..

Reactions: 2
I am not a member of any WhatsApp groups for reasons like this . Inside info and other parents views are often unhelpful and cloud our judgement. May I respectfully suggest you have another think, the reason I say this is that the overwhelming majority of children that have returned have had a much better day than they or their parent thought. For sure it will be very different from normal school but there is a chance to interact with other children that may or may not be in their immediate friendship group. I also think online gaming makes them insular and I use my own children as an example, they don’t interact with their friends as normal because it’s not a normal situation. I say all of this as a fellow parent not as someone being judgemental.
Thank you. I really appreciate the advice.

• Heart
My children are in years 7 and 8. School is poor with communication and the work they're being set for the week is only taking them to Tuesday evening to finish. No idea when they'll be back at school or how it'll work. My son was supposed to be picking his options this year but that's now moved to next year.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My children are in years 7 and 8. School is poor with communication and the work they're being set for the week is only taking them to Tuesday evening to finish. No idea when they'll be back at school or how it'll work. My son was supposed to be picking his options this year but that's now moved to next year.
It’s scary how much it seems to differ from school to school. I don’t underestimate the amount of additional work involved for schools to produce this home learning, it’s so far away from normality and the comfort zones of many, but not all, teachers. By far this isn’t a dig a teachers, I think the overwhelming majority are working harder than ever before, I see what my own children’s teachers are doing. But, I do think there are some schools that are coasting, they didn’t think it would last this long (didn’t we all) and that they could get away with sending home worksheets and website links before normal service resumed. It is now very apparent that this isn’t enough and more time needs to be invested on setting decent work that stimulates the children. Many children are being failed and some, only some, need to stop making excuses about why it can’t be done and step up and make a change To the quality of work being sent home.

• Heart
I know my daughter is only in reception, but school has been great this week and not nearly as bad or scary as we feared. In fact, we have benefitted from peaceful drop offs and pick ups and lovely small class sizes!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I know my daughter is only in reception, but school has been great this week and not nearly as bad or scary as we feared. In fact, we have benefitted from peaceful drop offs and pick ups and lovely small class sizes!
I think that age group will manage fine it's the other years will find it strange x

Thats so nice to hear. There are other contributors on this thread that have had good experiences too. I appreciate not everyone will experience the same. It’s a good time for schools to give the new rules and guidelines a real life scenario to see how it works. After all, these guidelines will still be in place in September and you as a parent will have so much more confidence in the school having had a good experience.
Its worth pointing out that in every aspect of life it’s much more exciting and dramatic to say what isn’t going well so we can all ooh and ahh over the ’story’. That’s why it’s so important to listen to real life experiences!

Reactions: 3
Has anybody read up on the inhaler vaccine they think might be ready by July? I mean I read it in the sun, was just wondering if anybody has heard or read anything about it from a more reliable source? I am such a pessimist for the reason I don’t like to hope and bank on things working and then be disappointed when they don’t happen. But now I’m reaching the end of my tether I am hoping this is true

Reactions: 1
Our school was supposed to open tomorrow but they've said they're now pushing it back as it's not safe.
I think the government are happy to turn a blind eye to protests/beaches etc, because in two weeks we will see the result of non social distancing. If it's not a big spike then I feel like they'll relax more restrictions, but if it's worse case scenario then it'll be all our fault for not complying 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 3
Our school was supposed to open tomorrow but they've said they're now pushing it back as it's not safe.
I think the government are happy to turn a blind eye to protests/beaches etc, because in two weeks we will see the result of non social distancing. If it's not a big spike then I feel like they'll relax more restrictions, but if it's worse case scenario then it'll be all our fault for not complying 🤷‍♀️
Out of interest how do you feel about them not opening?

It’s scary how much it seems to differ from school to school. I don’t underestimate the amount of additional work involved for schools to produce this home learning, it’s so far away from normality and the comfort zones of many, but not all, teachers. By far this isn’t a dig a teachers, I think the overwhelming majority are working harder than ever before, I see what my own children’s teachers are doing. But, I do think there are some schools that are coasting, they didn’t think it would last this long (didn’t we all) and that they could get away with sending home worksheets and website links before normal service resumed. It is now very apparent that this isn’t enough and more time needs to be invested on setting decent work that stimulates the children. Many children are being failed and some, only some, need to stop making excuses about why it can’t be done and step up and make a change To the quality of work being sent home.
Schools unfortunately are now very non standardised.
Obviously Wales Scotland and ni devolved they do their own thing.
But even In England most senior schools are academy chains and can do their own things.
Some senior schools start gcses year 9 and take 3 years.
My child's year 9picked options and starts gcses soon online 8hours a week compared to 25 hours a week teaching time.
If this continued all way through year 10 I think I be worried about gcses end year 11.
My dad says the government and exam boards will just lower the boundaries for grades to account.
Our local private independent schools been getting great online schooling from th3 start including online assemblies.
Mine are at 3 different schools ks2 and seniors.
Not huge amount work set home.
Not much communication
And SEN support from council been tit considering we have a education healthcare plan many local SEN families struggling.

I just can't see how they can be normal by sept.
I keep telling kids that's a provisional date.
But it might onky be 1 or 2 days a week.
Neighbours are keyworker well 1 is works in factory they fuming their 2 kids have different pickup and drop off times and schools not offering more hours as they have to work.

At our school they decided not open and and only accept keyworkers and have total 45 spaces.
We have high r rate they small school I get it.
But now they being strict questioning parents exactly what their job role is.
Does being secretariat at private hospital class as keyworker.

But the longer it goes on will non keyworker parents be financially worse off due to no school.
The key worker list is massive.
I thought had be both parents.
Although I'm keyworker I work evenings and husband works days non esenetial retail and we juggle home ed and us both working but it's blooming hard.
My nhs freinds non frontline earning thier normal salary.
Also educationally over the year will keyworkers kids be educationally ahead lot less behind.

I disagree that key worker kids will be ahead ours is very much childcare based and they only do the tasks set by school, everything else is activities you would do at home - painting, baking etc.

As much as I’ve struggled to balance working full time and homeschooling I think my daughter has really benefited from 121 time with me to learn and support she would never get in a class of 30.

I worry more about the social and emotional impact rather than the educational ones.

Out of interest how do you feel about them not opening?
50/50 if I'm honest.
If the R is above 1 where we are then it's obviously the safest decision and I'm glad they are putting our children first, I know the teachers are upset about it being pushed back and can't wait to see the children.
On the other hand my son is desperate to get back to school and see his friends, his behaviour has regressed these past few weeks and he's having a lot of emotional outbursts. A few days in school will (I think) do him wonders and at the moment I feel like the risk is low enough to send him.

• Sad
Well done Scotland! Zero deaths overnight!

Just read that it’s estimated over 60 million people will live in “extreme poverty” due to covid. Devastating. More people will die of other things rather than the virus itself. Said it all along.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
50/50 if I'm honest.
If the R is above 1 where we are then it's obviously the safest decision and I'm glad they are putting our children first, I know the teachers are upset about it being pushed back and can't wait to see the children.
On the other hand my son is desperate to get back to school and see his friends, his behaviour has regressed these past few weeks and he's having a lot of emotional outbursts. A few days in school will (I think) do him wonders and at the moment I feel like the risk is low enough to send him.
I think it’s showing in the behaviour and mental health of many children, one of mine included. It’s a tricky one but at some point it’s going to have to happen.

I see they're near a breakthrough with a new antibody treatment that the vulnerable and elderly can avail of 👍

Feeling down today. Had planned to go see my parents this weekend after almost 3 months of not seeing them but the weather is awful so can't sit in the garden. Missing life and being able to go outside and have fun. Feel like the world we once knew is gone. Don't feel safe going outside at all so not having my allowed daily walks and I'm worried that I'll never get back to the way I was before this.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.