Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've done 7 weeks of not working
Straight back into it tomorrow, 50 hours a week.

Im knackered thinking about it!
My wee brother is an apprentice he’s only 17 and will be going back to work soon. I’ve been saying to him for weeks you need you be prepared 😂 he will struggle getting back up in the mornings. I worked from for 2 weeks at the start and went back and it was a struggle, took me a few weeks

The protests are hugely risky but it's also SO important for these protests to happen. Despite the fact protests like these have happened before, these ones feel more impactful so far and I think continuing them while the going is good is the best thing. People are fed up.

They're holding onto this thread of hope that they have, and hopefully something will come of it this time. I'm not naive enough to think it will have much of an impact because it never seems to as a whole, but it's having a huge impact on people individually and people who usually keep quiet are using their voice instead of staying silent (which is so important). I think it's finally made people realise that it's not enough to be not racist. I think this particular death shocked people more than others (which it shouldn't have done really) - because it was so clearly a murder. Even people who usually argue it can't argue that the cop was definitely in the wrong. Some are trying of course... but it's a minority.

But yeah it's a huge risk in terms of the virus and it is very worrying but this is also a super important moment in history and I hope they don't give up. I'd be doing more myself if I didn't have my children to take care of. It's a shame it happened in the middle of a pandemic.
I agree. LOUD protests are needed. I don't like the looting but you get bad eggs in all situations, and it is a small number of people amongst the thousands of people protesting. I am DISGUSTED at seeing the footage of police running people over with their vehicles, knocking them to the ground, pulling their masks down and gassing/pepper-spraying them, pulling a car over and smashing the windows of it and hurting the people. HOW DARE THEY. They are doing it so openly because they feel they can get away with it and this HAS TO STOP. There needs to be change!!

Not ideal with the Covid situation but George Floyd was just MURDERED in public by the police even though members of the public were begging them to stop. If black people are being killed so freely by the police, WHO are they meant to call for help??? We ALL need to be loud about this and have conversations with people we know about how change has to happen!!

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I agree. LOUD protests are needed. I don't like the looting but you get bad eggs in all situations, and it is a small number of people amongst the thousands of people protesting. I am DISGUSTED at seeing the footage of police running people over with their vehicles, knocking them to the ground, pulling their masks down and gassing/pepper-spraying them, pulling a car over and smashing the windows of it and hurting the people. HOW DARE THEY. They are doing it so openly because they feel they can get away with it and this HAS TO STOP. There needs to be change!!

Not ideal with the Covid situation but George Floyd was just MURDERED in public by the police even though members of the public were begging them to stop. If black people are being killed so freely by the police, WHO are they meant to call for help??? We ALL need to be loud about this and have conversations with people we know about how change has to happen!!
THIS THIS THIS

Put a white non-uniformed person behind that wheel.. make it a non-cop car driving into the crowds and it would be terrorism!! What the police are doing IS NOT OK.

I don’t care that people aren’t social distancing, I don’t care that it might increase infection.. it’s not ideal but we need to fight for equality!!!

“i am not black, but i see you.
i am not black, but i hear you.
i am not black, but i mourn with you.
i am not black, but i will continue to fight for you.”

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

I couldn’t sleep last night. I’d gone to bed and checked Twitter and seen all the posts of police ruining peaceful protests with violence. I was terrified of what I’d wake up to.

They must be pretty stupid and/or corrupt and/or racist to think more police brutality was appropriate at a protest that was ... protesting police brutality 🤦🏼‍♀️ It’s absolutely shocking.

The timing really couldn’t be worse but they also can’t let it go right now. They’re on the cusp of making a change, even if it’s only a small one. The fact three of the police officers are still not charged is awful! There’s a new video of them beating him up in the back of the cop car, they’re all complicit in what happened. If they weren’t wearing the uniform they’d all have been charged.

These past few days have already had such a huge impact it would be a tragedy to let it all die off now.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
So many people gathering for these protests this weekend. I understand l their reasons for protesting but the virus hasn’t gone away so I am surprised by these people’s stupidity. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: 3
So many people gathering for these protests this weekend. I understand l their reasons for protesting but the virus hasn’t gone away so I am surprised by these people’s stupidity. 🤦🏻‍♀️
It is NOT stupidity. It is a DESPERATION for change. Black people have been oppressed for years. I am saying this a white person. With the virus it is awful timing but it has to be done.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
There’s nothing stupid about fighting against injustice.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’d be there if I didn’t have my kids.🤷🏼‍♀️

I’m super pro-lockdown but it’s worth the risk if it can bring change. Nobody is naive to the fact the virus hasn’t gone but the virus will eventually go even if it takes years. If nothing is done about racism and injustice then things for them will stay the same for even longer.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Don't quote me on this but I'm actually pretty sure the point of looting in a protest is to prove the police have 0 power and their violent approach doesn't work because they're doing what they want. I saw that somewhere and apparently it's been a thing for years. Like i said don't quote me on that cause I'm not 100%.

Might be unpopular (and not directed at your post bubbletea at all. I agree with you!) but I'm sick to death of hearing people say "they need to protest peacefully". If I see it one more time I'm going to scream.
First thing where is the peace from the police in all of this??
Second thing, they've tried. MLK was peaceful and he was shot. Colin Kaepernick was peacefully kneeling and they didn't like that.
Final thing, nothing that's ever been done to black people has been peaceful. There hasn't been peace since america walked their asses into Africa and literally stole them. There wasn't peace when they were being publically lynched. There wasn't peace when they kept them as slaves. There wasn't peace when black people didn't have civil rights until 1964! Dying at the hands of the police is not peaceful.
Black America has never known peace.

And don't get me started on the UK cause we love to argue how not racist we are when we are in fact just as bad as america, we just don't have guns.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Rioting IS often the answer. How did women’s rights come about? The suffragettes rioted and protested. Gay rights? Stonewall riots. Many slaves were freed from revolting.

The opportunity has come to make a real change. We have to take it and have our voices heard. Don’t let George Floyd become just another name on the list of POC who have been brutally murdered because of their skin. Virus or no virus, these riots are necessary.

“A riot is the language of the unheard” - MLK Jr

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They might as well protest. If the virus doesn't kill them their skin colour will.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Might be unpopular (and not directed at your post bubbletea at all. I agree with you!) but I'm sick to death of hearing people say "they need to protest peacefully". If I see it one more time I'm going to scream.
I HATE this too.

They have been peaceful! But the police show up and start being violent so, naturally, some of the protestors are violent back in self defence or defence of others. The cops over there are being disgraceful. Some of the things I’ve read that they’ve done to people are absolutely shocking.

Reactions: 2
I HATE this too.

They have been peaceful! But the police show up and start being violent so, naturally, some of the protestors are violent back in self defence or defence of others. The cops over there are being disgraceful. Some of the things I’ve read that they’ve done to people are absolutely shocking.
Exactly!! Even if they weren't being peaceful initially they have every right to want america burned to the ground. The blood of their people built it.

Reactions: 3
They might as well protest. If the virus doesn't kill them their skin colour will.
100%
But I do think it’s a particular concern that coronavirus is disproportionately affecting BAME people. Protests could be devastating considering the virus is still very much a danger even with social distancing
Of course the protesters have considered this and that shows desperation too, but it doesn’t make the fact any less worrying

Reactions: 4
100%
But I do think it’s a particular concern that coronavirus is disproportionately affecting BAME people. Protests could be devastating considering the virus is still very much a danger even with social distancing
Of course the protesters have considered this and that shows desperation too, but it doesn’t make the fact any less worrying
It is worrying and I did worry about it when I saw the crowds on the news. :( I just hope each of them are taking the right precautions and those who are vulnerable who want to protest are still staying home despite the desire.

Reactions: 1
Anyone else sick of this woman?? Sorry but she’s always bleeping scaremongering, always “knows” someone who said this or that. Posts like these aren’t helpful. A friend of a friend of a fish told me...
Funny how the doctors in my hospital are saying we’ve gone through the second wave 😂 and that the first wave was back in dec to feb when everyone was coming down ill and nobody know what it was . It’s known that second waves come with a vengeance and we’ve seen that to be possibly the case

Reactions: 14
A day early but had a socially distanced bbq at my parents’ house. It was lovely. My dad had set up a “sanitising station” with hand saniyiser and anti bac wipes and we washed our hands at the garden tap on the way in through the side gate. We had to use sanitiser regularly (on orders from my father!) No one needed the toilet except my 5 year old son, who went behind a tree at the bottom of the garden 🤣

I do worry that people will just be in each other’s houses once the weather turns.

I read this earlier and found it interesting:

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.