Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Still can't see my mum and dad. Always said I'd follow the science in regards to shielding and Witty said it's still not safe for us. Heartbroken

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Still can't see my mum and dad. Always said I'd follow the science in regards to shielding and Witty said it's still not safe for us. Heartbroken
I thought about you and others on here who are in the same situation. I feel like you’ve been let down so I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling. 💕

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
So you can go to the dentist but you cannot get your hair cut?
I don’t feel confident about going to the dentist to be honest. I thought when treatment is done particles become airborne? Surely there is more risk to catching it?
Am I being stupid? If I do t have a checkup now and wait six months will that be OK?
Dental health is more important than a haircut that is purely appearance based.

Reactions: 14
I thought about you and others on here who are in the same situation. I feel like you’ve been let down so I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling. 💕
Half expected it to be honest but when he announced the plans for Monday I got excited especially as it's my birthday then. Thought it meant I could see them on my birthday but it wasn't to be

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I imagine dentists will have quite a long period between patients to stop air bourne particles being a problem. I find dentist surgery’s exceptionally clean anyway and so although I’d only go if it was an emergency, I don’t think I’d be too concerned about it

Reactions: 4
I think the dentist should be more worried about being exposed to anything than the patient tbh. Dentists usually have impeccable hygiene anyway - gloves, face masks, goggled, scrubs, chairs always cleaned between patients etc.

Reactions: 9
I disagree that the death rate is high, 400 deaths a day on average in a population of almost 70 mil is not high in my opinion. Sadly most of those people will have been on their death beds already as well. I really dont think the country can be on hold any longer with those sort of numbers.
On average in the UK, 450 people die every day from cancer alone (in a "normal" pre-Covid year anyway) - this statistic is readily available. That's just cancer, doesn't include all the other common causes of death such as heart disease, road accidents, dementia etc. What they said at the start of lockdown when it was supposedly just for three weeks, was that the purpose of those three weeks was to buy some time for the NHS to regroup so as to be able to deal with Covid, train people, build the Nightingale hospitals etc (all now mothballed I believe), and that's fair enough, I understand why we did those initial three weeks.

But one you look at wider death statistics and realise that Covid-19 is nowhere near the big bogeyman of death that it's been made out to be, it's absolutely ludicrous that the nation is still locked down and largely non-functional. Now it does seem that Cheltenham caused quite a spike in cases early on, so by all means keep massive close proximity social gatherings like that shut down for this year, and also obvious cases like theatres where a lot of people sit close together in one big room for hours, share the same toilets etc (although if you ask me, if we can't have theatres and cinemas, then I'm screwed if I know why planes are still allowed). And there's a grey area over something like dentists, because a lot of saliva gets vaporised and ejected out of the mouth while something like drilling or teeth jetting is going on. But it's obvious if you follow the statistics, the bulk of deaths now are places like care homes (a lot of people receiving close care again) which ought to be possible to deal with through massive use of PPE. Everything else like family gatherings, hairdressing, clothes shopping should all be back open now until someone can show actual evidence of them being hotbeds of infection! Rishi's magic money tree / money printing press isn't going to pay for itself, we need to get back to work!

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
I think they are relying on people being unlikely to go to the dentist unless they really need to vs, if they open hairdressers there will be a huge rush to go. They also will be, to put it bluntly, relying on the fact that fewer people will catch it and if they do, the NHS now has capacity. You have to get back out there at some stage...
Yeah and dentists (being surgeons) and dental nurses and assistants are already experts at extremely clinical levels of hygiene and infection control practices.

Very unlikely a nail or hairdressing salon will have e same knowledge on that front. No matter what online training courses they are doing 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edit: realised this may sound snidey towards hairdressers! Absolutely not the intention but dentistry already has a high level of cleanliness and I would personally be more comfortable going to a dentist at the mo than hair dresser. Especially considering I know hairdressers who think this whole thing is blown out of proportion 😡🙄

Reactions: 9
On average in the UK, 450 people die every day from cancer alone (in a "normal" pre-Covid year anyway) - this statistic is readily available. That's just cancer, doesn't include all the other common causes of death such as heart disease, road accidents, dementia etc. What they said at the start of lockdown when it was supposedly just for three weeks, was that the purpose of those three weeks was to buy some time for the NHS to regroup so as to be able to deal with Covid, train people, build the Nightingale hospitals etc (all now mothballed I believe), and that's fair enough, I understand why we did those initial three weeks.

But one you look at wider death statistics and realise that Covid-19 is nowhere near the big bogeyman of death that it's been made out to be, it's absolutely ludicrous that the nation is still locked down and largely non-functional. Now it does seem that Cheltenham caused quite a spike in cases early on, so by all means keep massive close proximity social gatherings like that shut down for this year, and also obvious cases like theatres where a lot of people sit close together in one big room for hours, share the same toilets etc (although if you ask me, if we can't have theatres and cinemas, then I'm screwed if I know why planes are still allowed). And there's a grey area over something like dentists, because a lot of saliva gets vaporised and ejected out of the mouth while something like drilling or teeth jetting is going on. But it's obvious if you follow the statistics, the bulk of deaths now are places like care homes (a lot of people receiving close care again) which ought to be possible to deal with through massive use of PPE. Everything else like family gatherings, hairdressing, clothes shopping should all be back open now until someone can show actual evidence of them being hotbeds of infection! Rishi's magic money tree / money printing press isn't going to pay for itself, we need to get back to work!
I agree but with the R sitting at practically 1 how long for ? we've got outdoor cinemas here that's how they're getting round it..

Reactions: 1
I agree but with the R sitting at practically 1 how long for ? we've got outdoor cinemas here that's how they're getting round it..
Look at how the R rate is calculated. The main figures they use have continued to reduce/stay stable. The R rate is generally calculated from figures that were the case three weeks ago. If needs be then if admissions/infections increase then they will lock back down but looking at other European countries I can’t say I think that will be the case. We can’t live a life like this forever and unfortunately it will be touch and go, risky decisions will have to be made but they’re decisions that need to be made. This virus could be in circulation for a very long time yet, but keeping people in and the country at a standstill isn’t sustainable.

Reactions: 3
Look at how the R rate is calculated. The main figures they use have continued to reduce/stay stable. The R rate is generally calculated from figures that were the case three weeks ago. If needs be then if admissions/infections increase then they will lock back down but looking at other European countries I can’t say I think that will be the case. We can’t live a life like this forever and unfortunately it will be touch and go, risky decisions will have to be made but they’re decisions that need to be made. This virus could be in circulation for a very long time yet, but keeping people in and the country at a standstill isn’t sustainable.
Yes but are they being truthful with the R ? if you noticed the NI journalist questioned them on it as our cases are very low here but the R has risen from 0.7 to just under 1 in a week very strange ..but yet the UK cases are really high in comparison but the R has remained stable..the numbers don't add up

Reactions: 6
Yes but are they being truthful with the R ? if you noticed the NI journalist questioned them on it as our cases are very low here but the R has risen from 0.7 to just under 1 in a week very strange ..but yet the UK cases are really high in comparison but the R has remained stable..the numbers don't add up
I think there's an awful lot of covering up going on. I don't know how Boris can stand there and claim that the PPE step has been sufficiently met

Reactions: 11
I think there's an awful lot of covering up going on. I don't know how Boris can stand there and claim that the PPE step has been sufficiently met
There's something going on. I feel it's very rushed they've even said the threat is still very high but they're pushing on with all these measures .Where are all these businesses going to source PPE to keep their employees safe ,if care homes and hospitals are still facing a shortage..

Reactions: 12
It depends how the numbers vary. It doesn’t mean you should be suspicious of it. Different areas of the UK can be running different R numbers because the figures don’t and won’t match in every area. The cases if you think about the population of the UK and compared to where we were say 6 weeks ago aren’t that high. They are going down, deaths will always take longer to catch back up but as long as they’re reducing progress is being made. When you look at the numbers when they’re broke down it isn’t that daunting. For every day we have a lower figure you can almost guarantee a few days later we’ll have a higher figure, everybody is horrified but yet the numbers end up equalling out and really it isn’t as bad as it seems. Every person who loses their life to covid is horrendous and I’m not trying to say it isn’t, but the reporting of the figures day in day out is completely and utterly false and causes unnecessary fear.

Reactions: 1
Yes absolutely but is it safe to go to a dentist?
Probably not ‘safe’ but is it safe to go to the hospital if you have a medical issue? The doctor who stitched my sons head was right in his face but it needed doing. Dental issues can be really serious

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It depends how the numbers vary. It doesn’t mean you should be suspicious of it. Different areas of the UK can be running different R numbers because the figures don’t and won’t match in every area. The cases if you think about the population of the UK and compared to where we were say 6 weeks ago aren’t that high. They are going down, deaths will always take longer to catch back up but as long as they’re reducing progress is being made. When you look at the numbers when they’re broke down it isn’t that daunting. For every day we have a lower figure you can almost guarantee a few days later we’ll have a higher figure, everybody is horrified but yet the numbers end up equalling out and really it isn’t as bad as it seems. Every person who loses their life to covid is horrendous and I’m not trying to say it isn’t, but the reporting of the figures day in day out is completely and utterly false and causes unnecessary fear.
We're a province as a whole and we've had very low numbers from day one but still our R rate has risen .I wonder how the rest of the UK will fair that's all ,as I don't feel the 5 points have been achieved yet !

Reactions: 2
There's something going on. I feel it's very rushed they've even said the threat is still very high but they're pushing on with all these measures .Where are all these businesses going to source PPE to keep their employees safe ,if care homes and hospitals are still facing a shortage..
Who said PPE is still a shortage for hospitals

Personally I cant wait to go to dentist im due a check up. They all wear ppe anyway before all this started so it'll be safe.

Boris and the government are an absolute shambles. Cummings needs to be sacked and I'm shocked hes being backed. I actually wish I lived in Scotland as i think nicola sturgeon has her head screwed on.

I've completely lost faith in the government, especially after the Cummings saga and Rishi tweeting about how nandos being open for takeaways is the good news we've all been waiting for. I find this incredibly insulting for reasons I won't go into as the good news I'm waiting to hear may come to late and its far more important than nandos and I know other people in the same boat who agree. The governments priorities are absolutely all the cock.

Don't even get me started on the Premier league re starting next month. Again not even a priority for the rest of the year. Who even cares. I find the whole shambles insulting as duck!

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.