Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
133 deaths in Italy in 24 hours, unfortunately it is as bad as we thought.

All the people saying don't worry it's just another virus and just like flu need to start taking it seriously now. Italy has 650 people hospitalised and most will probably need respirators, the health secretary said last week we only had 50 spare beds in the UK with respirators.
I'm so glad of this thread. I'm sick to the back teeth of all the jokes being posted over on Facebook and people likening it to the flu. It's getting as though anyone who is taking this virus seriously, is open to ridicule and mockery. There are 2 confirmed cases 4 miles from me and people couldn't care less. This virus seems like a lottery depending on how healthy you are, noone can be fully confident they are just going get a few sniffles from it.

Reactions: 7
Really starting to worry now. What does everyone think will actually happen?
Tens if not hundreds of thousand people killed by it this year in the UK unless they lockdown the country. This isn't fear mongering, it's what will happen if it keeps spreading as is.

Reactions: 3
I’m still going skiing next week. I won’t get my money back as the FCO aren’t recommending against travel there, and I’m more likely to catch it on my overcrowded commute or at work or at Costa than in a quiet apartment in a ski resort, going on the ski lifts with my big gloves on ⛷
the only change I’m making is taking dettol wipes for the plane 🤷🏻‍♀️
Obviously if things change in the next week I might reconsider. But got to keep living life!
Just right. We are still going away in a few weeks. That’s said New Zealand has hardly any cases and we aren’t going to be in a city apart from airport, but even still.

Reactions: 2
Really starting to worry now. What does everyone think will actually happen?
Hopefully it’s peaking and we start to see a decrease in cases. No one can know for sure i guess. It’s still not a lot of numbers if you think of the UK’s population

Reactions: 1
Yes it’s bad but if you look at the percentage of population that caught it in China it’s a tiny percentage of their population,
The most dangerous thing about this is the media- the words they use - such as total explodes , 100,000 will die! — only that many world wide have it!
Yes a lot of people are going to catch it but 90-95% will only have mild symptoms!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Tens if not hundreds of thousand people killed by it this year in the UK unless they lockdown the country. This isn't fear mongering, it's what will happen if it keeps spreading as is.
I take it you’re self isolating as we speak then?

Reactions: 5
Yes it’s bad but if you look at the percentage of population that caught it in China it’s a tiny percentage of their population,
The most dangerous thing about this is the media- the words they use - such as total explodes , 100,000 will die! — only that many world wide have it!
Yes a lot of people are going to catch it but 90-95% will only have mild symptoms!
It's not over in China!! Their government has succeeded in slowing down the rate of infection through lock down and tracking the movements of every citizen. However, China is still reporting new cases every day. This is just the beginning.

Reactions: 4
I'm so glad of this thread. I'm sick to the back teeth of all the jokes being posted over on Facebook and people likening it to the flu. It's getting as though anyone who is taking this virus seriously, is open to ridicule and mockery. There are 2 confirmed cases 4 miles from me and people couldn't care less. This virus seems like a lottery depending on how healthy you are, noone can be fully confident they are just going get a few sniffles from it.
My SIL and her husband are saying they aren't bothered about getting the flu and they're still going to California with their kids even though there's a state of emergency there. They are both incredibly selfish. Her parents are both 70+ and dad has a lung disease and oxygen tank. My partner and I are livid.

• Wow
  • Sad
It's not over in China!! Their government has succeeded in slowing down the rate of infection through lock down and tracking the movements of every citizen. However, China is still reporting new cases every day. This is just the beginning.
No but their new cases are minimal now - compared to population!

It is a flu virus and it is contagious like any other one is!!
The media have successfully hyped it to the max!

If everyone is so worried then why are you all not self isolating, panic buying, staying off work/ school till it’s all over!!

Reactions: 6
273 people.. majority of whom have returned from Italy. Wow 🙄
How can you still be posting here trying to belittle people that are concerned with a new unknown virus that experts are worried about??!
It's killed 133 people in Italy in 24 hours and only growing across the world. That's 15000% more people than the flu kills. It's going to get way worse before it gets better, and people downplaying it are downright reckless.

If everyone is so worried then why are you all not self isolating, panic buying, staying off work/ school till it’s all over!!
All those qualified doctors and experts in viruses on BBC news saying it's serious are just doing it for media attention eh??
It'll never be over now, the virus will always be around. Could be years before an vaccine is available.

Reactions: 9
How can you still be posting here trying to belittle people that are concerned with a new unknown virus that experts are worried about??!
It's killed 133 people in Italy in 24 hours and only growing across the world. That's 15000% more people than the flu kills. It's going to get way worse before it gets better, and people downplaying it are downright reckless.
As a previous poster asked - are you self isolating yourself now and staying home from work/school/the shops/public places? You seem to be VERY worried.

It's killed 133 people in Italy in 24 hours and only growing across the world. That's 15000% more people than the flu kills. It's going
to get way worse before it gets better
, and people downplaying it are downright reckless.

All those qualified doctors and experts in viruses on BBC news saying it's serious are just doing it for media attention eh??
It'll never be over now, the virus will always be around. Could be years before an vaccine is available.
Yes it will get a lot worse I’m under no illusion it will!
But when they say figures of 100,000 Brits will die and 80% of the population will get it - no no they won’t !!

Put into context 80% of china’s population is over a billion

As a previous poster asked - are you self isolating yourself now and staying home from work/school/the shops/public places? You seem to be VERY worried.
Experts in viruses are worried. Why do people try to belittle others that listen to what highly qualified individuals say about their area of expertise and what they've spent their whole life working on?

Reactions: 6
I do understand the concerns as it’s all unknown but according to stats 60k have recovered from this virus currently but we don’t hear much about that in the media.

Experts in viruses are worried. Why do people try to belittle others that listen to what highly qualified individuals say about their area of expertise and what they've spent their whole life working on?
PP wasn’t belittling you in any way - just asking a simple question, which you didn’t answer...

I’m not trying to belittle anyone. And I’m taking it very seriously. Friends of ours have just come back from a cruise, we won’t be going near them. I’ve made sure I have enough supplies at home in case of self-isolation and I’m making sure myself, my partner and kids are being meticulous with our hygiene. Isn’t that all anyone can really do? All I’m saying is there is absolutely no need for everyone to shout from the roof tops that we’re all gonna die.
Every single on of your posts on this thread are deliberately scare-mongering, do you work for the Daily Mail by any chance?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm not overly concerned about getting the actual virus as my family are all in good health thankfully.
However, from an economy and business point of view I am SHITTING it.

• Angry
Yes I agree. I spoke with my sister who works for the NHS and she has said it is the media scare mongering, I also said I couldn't remember it being this intense with swine flu. I thought the government seemed worried about this, but she has said the media are making it worse, the government are not worried, if the media showed the figures of deaths from 'normal' flu each year, people may realise the death rate is more from the 'normal' flu yearly, than this one from the 'epicentre' of the outbreak. So yes, it is quite normal to be concerned, and this is a new virus so it is unknown territory and that scares me too.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.