Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My neighbours have this morning had two builders arrive to build them a pergola in their garden - we assume so anyway as it’s a wooden structure. This isn’t allowed surely?? Does that count as essential work? We are working from home too so the added drilling and sawing is much appreciated... 🙄
My neighbours have had builders in since lockdown. They're having a conservatory built

• Wow
Reactions: 1
My friend still has her cleaner coming in once a week and also doing her ironing.
My friend is currently WFH and part time !

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
My eldest keeps asking about nursery, she’s just that bit too young to fully understand what’s going on & I don’t want to worry or scare her by explaining anything in depth. I feel so sorry for her & I’ll be absolutely devastated if she doesn’t get to go back to nursery before she starts school in September. I’m not getting my hopes up as I know it isn’t likely 😞
Same boat here. My eldest boy is due to start school in August (we’re Scotland). It’s all a big mess.

Reactions: 4

Yel

You never know ! he could be sat answering that phone with an axe up his sleeve:oops:it's the quiet one's you have to watch:geek:;)

Boris has been put on oxygen !
I didn't release Leo was such a cliche with a twink boyfriend and he's only 41 :LOL:

My google searches are a mess :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 6
They are doing bugger all at the moment, they are on an extended holiday right now. Very few kids in school doing childcare only , and around me they are only working 2 days max a week. I just get messages from fellow teacher friends complaining they are bored.

As a country we need to unite together and part of that is getting people back to work. All my leave has been cancelled as has many others not sure why teachers are any different.
Not all of them are, I know teachers working harder now than normally and expected to host online lessons full time. More for seniors than other kids. Thinks it’s a bit harsh to think most are taking a long holiday, some might be but not all.

My neighbours have this morning had two builders arrive to build them a pergola in their garden - we assume so anyway as it’s a wooden structure. This isn’t allowed surely?? Does that count as essential work? We are working from home too so the added drilling and sawing is much appreciated... 🙄
External works are permitted if they can observe social distancing rules.

Reactions: 12
I wouldn't put it past the government... keep hearing about this heard immunity stuff... it's like after a while they'll just allow everyone to get it :(
I think that's exactly their plan. Just to stagger it so the NHS can cope but ultimately we're all going to bloody get the virus. Which is terrifying.
If they had done lockdown earlier, tested people, isolated cases as they found them things could have been controlled. At this point the virus is everywhere and they can't put it back in it's box now can they. It'll be an on off lockdown over time I reckon, and just kind of good luck to everyone to see who copes.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Not all of them are, I know teachers working harder now than normally and expected to host online lessons full time. More for seniors than other kids. Thinks it’s a bit harsh to think most are taking a long holiday, some might be but not all.
My kids school has been sending us updates of them painting their kitchen at home, baking and playing tennis in their gardens.

• Wow
Oh my goodness! He’s lucky to have you! Is there any complaints process as he sounds very vulnerable!
Thanks. At the moment he has enough food in his freezer to last him so I don’t want to bother them with a complaint right now because I know they’re very busy.
I just find that government’s extremely vulnerable list should have some level of flexibility because there must be a lot of people who have similar health conditions but who don’t have family to rely on. What happens to them?
I tried to complete the government form online for him but it’s very black and white - if you don’t come under any of the 6 conditions listed then it is a straight “no”. There is nowhere to actually state the conditions you do have so you could then be considered individually.
I know the government have enough to deal with right now but I fear the vulnerable without family will be forgotten and the consequences don’t bear thinking about.
i meant to follow that up but health visitor came. I didn’t mean to complain as such everybody will be doing their best ... more of a query and follow up

When do ASDA update their dates for delivery? It’s been stuck on 13th April for ages now. Are they not taking bookings later yet?

Tesco don’t have slots, nor do Ocado. It’s worrying how those of us isolating will manage.
Asda emailed everyone and said as of the other day you will only be able to see a week in advance.

They are doing bugger all at the moment, they are on an extended holiday right now. Very few kids in school doing childcare only , and around me they are only working 2 days max a week. I just get messages from fellow teacher friends complaining they are bored.

As a country we need to unite together and part of that is getting people back to work. All my leave has been cancelled as has many others not sure why teachers are any different.
Saying that we (teachers) are doing bugger all so should have our summer holidays cancelled - you do realise we didn’t ASK for schools to shut? You do realise it’s actually much easier for us to stand in front of a class and teach them face to face rather than try to do it remotely? You do realise that many many people are currently on “an extended holiday” from work, but I assume you wouldn’t be asking any of them to give up the holidays they have booked later in the year?🤬

nice to know the huge effort put in by teachers across the country to a)change the face of teaching in almost no time with no model to help and b)look after key workers kids is a hugely appreciated.

• Angry
Reactions: 43
They're between a rock and a hard place. If the economy falls more than 6.4% (according to one study) then more people will be killed by closing everything down. Estimates are between 15%-30% fall in GDP.

That doesn't mean anything, the law can and will be changed while trying to be as fair as possible to everyone. Someone said a few pages back that schools would never open over the summer as people had holidays or training. We're a way beyond all that, we have no idea what the world will look like in a few months.

Same here, teachers I know are saying they're bored and on a rota so not at school much. It's not like they're working flat out at the moment so perfectly acceptable to change their summer plans in such troubling times.
Different schools are doing different things. My friends schools expects her online everyday 9-3 and to record several daily videos to introduce the different subjects. My school are planning lots of schemes of learning for next year. They aren’t all bored!

Reactions: 12

My school and all my teacher friends are rostered in over the holidays. I’m not sure which area you’re in but this is not true for any of my colleagues. I’m on maternity leave so different for me but my colleagues are still working hard planning daily remote lessons, which is harder than face to face teaching. It’s not a case of bunging a few worksheets on, the lessons need to be appropriate. They’re marking when students send work back, they’re available fir questions. I’m not saying they’re working any harder than anybody else but they aren’t doing bugger all.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Saying that we (teachers) are doing bugger all so should have our summer holidays cancelled - you do realise we didn’t ASK for schools to shut? You do realise it’s actually much easier for us to stand in front of a class and teach them face to face rather than try to do it remotely? You do realise that many many people are currently on “an extended holiday” from work, but I assume you wouldn’t be asking any of them to give up the holidays they have booked later in the year?🤬
the economy is more important than anyone’s holidays, and less face it there wont be any for a long-time. If anyone thinks they are “entitled” at this time they really need to get a grip, getting people back to work is more important than anyone’s contractural obligations. We’re all fucked and we need to get things moving as soon as we can.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
They're between a rock and a hard place. If the economy falls more than 6.4% (according to one study) then more people will be killed by closing everything down. Estimates are between 15%-30% fall in GDP.

That doesn't mean anything, the law can and will be changed while trying to be as fair as possible to everyone. Someone said a few pages back that schools would never open over the summer as people had holidays or training. We're a way beyond all that, we have no idea what the world will look like in a few months.

Same here, teachers I know are saying they're bored and on a rota so not at school much. It's not like they're working flat out at the moment so perfectly acceptable to change their summer plans in such troubling times.

Not true for all, I work in an asd school and I know our teachers are online 9am - 3pm setting the pupils tasks helping them with them due to communication issues as all pupils rely on bsl, whilst trying to look after their own children. With also being on a rota in the hub even during Easter holidays. And all admin staff are working between home and school

Reactions: 9
My school and all my teacher friends are rostered in over the holidays. I’m not sure which area you’re in but this is not true for any of my colleagues. I’m on maternity leave so different for me but my colleagues are still working hard planning daily remote lessons, which is harder than face to face teaching. It’s not a case of bunging a few worksheets on, the lessons need to be appropriate. They’re marking when students send work back, they’re available fir questions. I’m not saying they’re working any harder than anybody else but they aren’t doing bugger all.
I’m not even getting worksheets 😂 had to source my own. We got some access to websites and that’s about it. When I’ve asked for help setting work (we both work full time and I am no teacher) I was told to just let them play in the garden.

My kids teachers have been working hard, and over Easter the staff are going over the data from distance learning so far to analyse what worked and what hasn't.

Reactions: 8
the economy is more important than anyone’s holidays, and less face it there wont be any for a long-time. If anyone thinks they are “entitled” at this time they really need to grip, getting people back to work is more important than anyone’s contractural obligations. We’re all fucked and we need to get things moving as soon as we can.
Then why pick on the teachers? you are making valid points, god knows we all want things to start moving back to normal, but not sure how it is all the teachers fault that it isn’t?

And saying it is more important than contractual obligations may well be true in practice, but if you start changing everyone’s contracts then that’s a legal nightmare. Teachers in my country are contracted to work 195 days a year. If you suddenly change that, with no change in pay, then it’s going to cause mayhem. No other job would be expected to work more days without a pay increase.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.