Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've woken up this morning with an overwhelming sense of sadness about what is going on. I don't know why today is so significant, but I feel like it's all of a sudden hit me like a ton of bricks how serious this is. Has anybody else felt like this? Don't get me wrong, I've felt sad about it all along, and I've known it's serious but for some reason I just feel like it's really hit home today. :(
Yep that happens with me too sometimes. A phrase I got from one of those DBT skills workbooks would be "radical acceptance". Accept the way you feel right now. It's not wrong just something that is.

Hello everyone, moaning ICU deputy sister here.

I was admitted last night with exacerbation of my asthma, and I’m in a side room on a respiratory ward with Nebulisers and oxygen. Pretty pissed. Been told that I have an infection secondary to COVID19, and I’ve been swabbed. I personally think it’s my asthma.

Whatever, I’m pissed off.
I'm glad they're taking care of you. Thank you for all your hard work.

x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Who would have that kind of money 💰 how much is health insurance in America
I've got a friend in America. Emigrated there after marrying an American. They don't have health insurance and their work doesn't offer it. They both said its cheaper to have treatment and pay the cost back monthly than to pay the insurance premium fee each month. The insurance like most, is valid for 1 year at a time so if you don't need anything medical, you've spent about 200 dollars a month on nothing

Most employers offer health are as a package as part of your salary. Why anyone would want to live in America is beyond me, especially with holidays, my friends work 5 days a week and only get two weeks annual leave a year which is apparently quite generous.

Reactions: 7
I've got a friend in America. Emigrated there after marrying an American. They don't have health insurance and their work doesn't offer it. They both said its cheaper to have treatment and pay the cost back monthly than to pay the insurance premium fee each month. The insurance like most, is valid for 1 year at a time so if you don't need anything medical, you've spent about 200 dollars a month on nothing

Most employers offer health are as a package as part of your salary. Why anyone would want to live in America is beyond me, especially with holidays, my friends work 5 days a week and only get two weeks annual leave a year which is apparently quite generous.
very true about the holiday aspect. My parents often go to the Caribbean and make friends with many Americans, and say they often drink like fishes because they get so little days to go away they try to make the most of it.
It was always my dream to move to New York as it’s one of my most favourite places ever but I think the actual reality put me off

I heard a radio ad this morning from Tesco, asking people to shop in store to allow the online slots to become available for the elderly or most vulnerable. Have I misunderstood or does this go against what Boris said? I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that he said to use online facilities where possible?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Reactions: 3
I've woken up this morning with an overwhelming sense of sadness about what is going on. I don't know why today is so significant, but I feel like it's all of a sudden hit me like a ton of bricks how serious this is. Has anybody else felt like this? Don't get me wrong, I've felt sad about it all along, and I've known it's serious but for some reason I just feel like it's really hit home today. :(
Yes this happened to me for the first time about a week ago. Most of the time I’m as ok as I can be but I get moments on overwhelming sadness like you’ve described a couple of times a day :( we just have to try and keep going as best as we can, I feel like I’m in survival mode, just doing what I can until things start to improve. I think it’s the uncertainty of it which makes it worse- not knowing when it’s going to get better.

• Sad
Reactions: 1

I heard a radio ad this morning from Tesco, asking people to shop in store to allow the online slots to become available for the elderly or most vulnerable. Have I misunderstood or does this go against what Boris said? I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that he said to use online facilities where possible?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! :)

It does contradict Boris but, I think the demand for deliveries is so significant that they are unable to prioritise the vulnerable and at risk. The government is also supposed to be providing supermarkets with lists of who those people actually are so they are prioritised.

Reactions: 4
I think what's messing with my head is that I like time frames. We've been told schools are shut for 12 weeks and that we've been put on this lockdown for 3 weeks.

I'm expecting a review after these 3 weeks and for it to continue longer than that.

However my Facebook feed is full of people who are getting prepared to go back to work and for things to reopen (pubs etc) after next week is over.

My hairdressers and the waxing place have emailed me new appointment dates for the Tuesday after Easter Monday. Nearby pubs are advertising opening night discos and on the news, it showed a survey that car use is picking up in the Midlands as they are getting ready for back to normal in a weeks time.

Yet schools are staying closed.

We've had 8 emails this week from work parents saying are we open next week, if not they've been approached by other nurseries who are opening so they can back to work. None of them are key worker parents

I don't why everyone thinks this is happening as I've seen nothing about it anywhere. The jobs they have are clothes shop, pubs, library workers, Uni offices, solicitors offices etc.

Are we really going back to normal, except for schools, after 3 weeks? Or are we looking at least 12 weeks, which is what I'm working to in my head and how I'm dealing with it!

Reactions: 8
I think what's messing with my head is that I like time frames. We've been told schools are shut for 12 weeks and that we've been put on this lockdown for 3 weeks.

I'm expecting a review after these 3 weeks and for it to continue longer than that.

However my Facebook feed is full of people who are getting prepared to go back to work and for things to reopen (pubs etc) after next week is over.

My hairdressers and the waxing place have emailed me new appointment dates for the Tuesday after Easter Monday. Nearby pubs are advertising opening night discos and on the news, it showed a survey that car use is picking up in the Midlands as they are getting ready for back to normal in a weeks time.

We've had 8 emails this week from work parents saying are we open next week, if not they've been approached by other nurseries who are opening so they can back to work. None of them are key worker parents

I don't why everyone thinks this is happening as I've seen nothing about it anywhere. The jobs they have are clothes shop, pubs, library workers, Uni offices, solicitors offices etc.

Are we really going back to normal, except for schools, after 3 weeks? Or are we looking at least 12 weeks, which is what I'm working to in my head and how I'm dealing with it!

I think the government should give an update on what normal will look like for the next 3 to 6 months, as I do not think we will be back to what normal was for the next 12 months (just my opinion). Let's face it when the restrictions are loosened all the idiots will spoil it for everyone and Boris will have to tell us off again and we will go back to this.

Reactions: 9

I’m not expecting the lockdown to be lifted after the 3 weeks are up.
I think the government said 3 weeks because if they said 3 month’s then some people would freak out.
My son is due to return to uni in September and, if I’m totally honest, I’m not sure if that will even happen.
I have a “planner” type personality trait so I hate spontaneity and surprises and I do hate that my usual routine isn’t a routine any more but that can’t be helped. My way of dealing with it is to expect this to last 6 month’s and if it doesn’t that’s a bonus. And before anyone jumps on me, I have no facts or basis for my 6 month theory, it’s just my way of coping.

We also have not gone through a winter with this, so until we do it’s hard to say what will happen in say December.

Reactions: 9
can anyone tell me what the panic is for having a test. i cant figure it out because even if the test says youve not got it who is to say you might meet someone and get it from them. especially if the cases if health workers. also even if you show antibodies ppl in china have been reinfected so youre still not certain to stay well. i just dont get it - anyone explain it dif to me plse?

Maybe it is just where you live? I haven't seen anyone near me who expects pubs to be open next week and certainly none advertising to be open! They will obviously still be closed, the government has made it clear the 3 weeks is a rolling basis and there is no chance of restrictions being lifted while we are so far from having this under control.

I don't think car use necessarily means people are gearing up to go back to normal, they showed the graph during the briefing yesterday and car use is up but marginally and still very low. I think it is more likely people are driving to the shop more than walking, now things are worse.
We are looking at probably at least another 8 weeks.
My place are putting people on furlough from this friday (1000 staff) so clearly nothing is going back to normal soon.

can anyone tell me what the panic is for having a test. i cant figure it out because even if the test says youve not got it who is to say you might meet someone and get it from them. especially if the cases if health workers. also even if you show antibodies ppl in china have been reinfected so youre still not certain to stay well. i just dont get it - anyone explain it dif to me plse?
You can't actually be reinfected with the virus, in China it was people who they thought were over it but actually weren't.
For health workers, if you show symptoms you have to self isolate with your family but if you could be tested and you don't actually have it then you can get back to work sooner. The NHS has a huge problem with staffing right now as doctors and nurses are isolating and they might not even need to.

Which is what I thought but now you've got people moaning about someone buying easter eggs and potato waffles?! I shop at a row of shops so I use at least 4 of them to get all the food I need for a week. I don't go to the big supermarkets. In one, I might just be buying chocolate and crisps but if someone saw me, they might think I had popped out just for those?!
I honestly think people just like to moan and judge without thinking about context or the bigger picture. This pandemic has brought out a really nasty side to some (but definitely not all!!) people.

We’ve not even hit peak yet there’s no way things will go back to normal for a long time

I thought the rush on testing was because we are not sure if people who have had it are immune to it again or not? So there is the potential that people who have had it would be immune going forwards.

Above is just what I thought and NOT fact.

I think 12 weeks is a best case scenario

I’m hoping that a few restrictions will be lifted in the next 3-4 weeks and that we can see family members in our homes etc. I personally can’t see pubs reopening until the summer

Reactions: 2
Does anyone else feel like people are not sticking to the rules now more than before? I live on a busy main road past few days hardly any cars and yesterday it almost felt back to normal again,its like ahh sod it we've done a few days back to normal now.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.