Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A friend of mine has been furloughed by her employer, but she's going out of her mind bored at home so mentioned that she might apply for one of the temp jobs on offer at our local Aldi. She asked my opinion on whether this is allowed.

I've done some research on the government website about the job retention scheme and can't find anything that expressly says you can't take up secondary employment whilst furloughed. In fact, it just says you can't carry out any work for your employer at that time. It does mention second jobs which you already have, but nothing about new temporary employment. Does anybody have any thoughts/knowledge on this?
My employeer said that you can if you want.

Speculation only - I have no idea how the UK tax system works but I know its not too different from Ireland

I would imagine if furloughed your existing tax and tax credits would be still active, e.g. your employer pays you as normal while maintaining your PAYE etc. So in theory if thats true you could take up a second job but you would likely push yourself into a higher tax bracket meaning it might not be worth your while financially.

This was what I was thinking, but I was just guessing myself so thought I'd try and find others opinions on it. I did mention to her that perhaps her best bet would be to volunteer if she's bored!

My employeer said that you can if you want.
Oh really? I've just asked her if she got a letter or anything from her employer, which as bare minimum I would assume she should have, perhaps that might contain some express terms on what she can/cannot do. It would seem many employers are taking their own stance on it.

Reactions: 1
A friend of mine has been furloughed by her employer, but she's going out of her mind bored at home so mentioned that she might apply for one of the temp jobs on offer at our local Aldi. She asked my opinion on whether this is allowed.

I've done some research on the government website about the job retention scheme and can't find anything that expressly says you can't take up secondary employment whilst furloughed. In fact, it just says you can't carry out any work for your employer at that time. It does mention second jobs which you already have, but nothing about new temporary employment. Does anybody have any thoughts/knowledge on this?
Pretty sure that won’t be allowed if getting the furlough money. The government are paying you to stay at home and isolate. They aren’t going to pay you to go out and got another job and earn more on top of what they give you

Reactions: 10
Thank you, that’s good to know, I do need to tone down my hand washing as my hands hurt to even bend my fingers and my wrists are cracking.

I just get so panicky if my husband has had to go to the chemist etc as we’ve no help. I then panic he will have caught it even though he wears gloves and a scarf, gels once in the car, shoes and clothes off at the back door and showers, then I scrub floor and handles he’s touched. I still panic for days after. It’s so hard. We’ve less than 100 confirmed cases in our trust I’m told but i still worry excessively
Just take it day by day ,and hopefully you'll calm down as things move forward..this thing has been a shock to everyone's system...

• Heart
Reactions: 4
2020 was meant to be the year I got back on my feet :( I know we're are lucky to be in our houses but I spent a lot of last year and pretty much all of 2018 in bed recovering from chemo. It's like de ja vu in a weird sort of way. Not to mention I am once again scared shitless that if I haven't already had this (which I think there's a decent chance I have) it's still in the back of my mind that there's something going round that could kill me very easily seeing as I'm one of the 1.5 million "vulnerable". Fear of death changes you in unimaginable ways, if anything good comes from this it should be that everyone gains some empathy, patience and more kindness for others.

On a positive note, the job I applied for got in touch yesterday, and I was successful, however they are postponing recruitment until this is all over to protect people from becoming poorly. So, at least I know I have a new career waiting for me at the end of this, just something that is keeping me going.
Congratulations ☺❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10

As far as I know your still contracted to your employer so can't take on any other work ..

Reactions: 2
Pretty sure that won’t be allowed if getting the furlough money. The government are paying you to stay at home and isolate. They aren’t going to pay you to go out and got another job and earn more on top of what they give you
The government aren't paying you to stay at home - they're subsiding your employer as an incentive to retain employees. No doubt employers will have to pay this money back too (though I can't find anything specific on that either). They're allowing people with secondary jobs to receive 80% pay on their first job if furloughed, so you can earn more on top of your 80% that way if you already have a second job before your first employer furloughs you.

The government aren't paying you to stay at home - they're subsiding your employer as an incentive to retain employees. No doubt employers will have to pay this money back too (though I can't find anything specific on that either). They're allowing people with secondary jobs to receive 80% pay on their first job if furloughed, so you can earn more on top of your 80% that way if you already have a second job before your first employer furloughs you.
So if you know the facts why are you asking people’s opinions?

2020 was meant to be the year I got back on my feet :( I know we're are lucky to be in our houses but I spent a lot of last year and pretty much all of 2018 in bed recovering from chemo. It's like de ja vu in a weird sort of way. Not to mention I am once again scared shitless that if I haven't already had this (which I think there's a decent chance I have) it's still in the back of my mind that there's something going round that could kill me very easily seeing as I'm one of the 1.5 million "vulnerable". Fear of death changes you in unimaginable ways, if anything good comes from this it should be that everyone gains some empathy, patience and more kindness for others.

On a positive note, the job I applied for got in touch yesterday, and I was successful, however they are postponing recruitment until this is all over to protect people from becoming poorly. So, at least I know I have a new career waiting for me at the end of this, just something that is keeping me going.
It still can be. Congratulations on your job and congratulations on finishing chemo... you’ve gone through that you’re tough. Look after yourself and get ready because you’re totally going to be in for your amazing year.... maybe from September onwards but it’s coming!!!! Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I think the employer claims back for the contracted hours you would have normally worked, be that full time or part time ..I think they can also call you back to work at any time ?

Reactions: 1
I know with my job it's actually states on the letter while in the state of furlough we are not allowed to take on any work

Reactions: 7
As far as I know your still contracted to your employer so can't take on any other work ..
This is what I don't think is clear, see below screenshot from the government website (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme). You are allowed to continue in secondary employment which you already had, but it says nothing about seeking new employment.

I think because the government website doesn't mention taking on new employment, my assumption would be you're not allowed (even if it's temporary). If you already had a second job, then fine to continue, but you mustn't seek a new second job if already on furlough? Does that sound right?

So if you know the facts why are you asking people’s opinions?
I'm not saying I know the facts - hence why I'm asking people's thoughts. I'm saying how I've read it on the website, and asking if that's how people are also reading it.

Attachments

The letter i got off my company says you can be paid furloughed off one company whilst working a second job for another company. If that helps anybody.

This is what I don't think is clear, see below screenshot from the government website (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme). You are allowed to continue in secondary employment which you already had, but it says nothing about seeking new employment.

I think because the government website doesn't mention taking on new employment, my assumption would be you're not allowed (even if it's temporary). If you already had a second job, then fine to continue, but you mustn't seek a new second job if already on furlough? Does that sound right?

I'm not saying I know the facts - hence why I'm asking people's thoughts. I'm saying how I've read it on the website, and asking if that's how people are also reading it.
I guess it would depend what’s in your work contract

if you are employed by company a to work from them for xx hours a week between 9-5 Monday to Friday for example your technically breaking your contract if you take on work in those hours, if that makes sense?

Your still employed and in contract with company a currently

Also there is a Facebook group I have joined called furloughnewstarters and we have emailed the chancellor and local MP’s to try to get this oversight rectified.

It would mean the world to me and I’m sure some others if you wouldn’t mind taking 1 minute to sign and share the petition.
Sorry I didn’t realise petitions weren’t allowed! Should have read the rules! *slap on the wrist to me* *frantically runs to wash my hands*

Just to give context to the above though it seems that progress is being made for those of us not covered by the current furlough scheme - MPs including the shadow chancellor involved in order to try to rectify and it seems the media is becoming interested too!

Me Too. My dad is 86 my mum is 82, just tried to do the same, wont let me register. I have been arranging for someone to get shopping for them but can’t keep asking them long term. My dad attempted to visit Sainsbury’s during ‘elderly‘ hour 7 till 8am and he couldn’t even get in the car park it was so busy. He has a walking stick and arthritis in his legs, it wouldnt take much to knock him over and I worry that in all the madness he will have an accident. I understand that there are so many people needing help, Im happy to pay for the assistance but getting it is a nightmare. No delivery slots, not vulnerable enough for a food parcel. I will try the Morrison’s box delivery.
You could try something like a hello fresh box maybe? Just so you know they're definitely getting enough fresh food for decent meals. Good luck sorting something x

Reactions: 3
I know with my job it's actually states on the letter while in the state of furlough we are not allowed to take on any work
Yes your still legally contracted to your employer, otherwise they would just pay people off ..It wouldn't make sense for them to furlough people if they were working elsewhere..

Me Too. My dad is 86 my mum is 82, just tried to do the same, wont let me register. I have been arranging for someone to get shopping for them but can’t keep asking them long term. My dad attempted to visit Sainsbury’s during ‘elderly‘ hour 7 till 8am and he couldn’t even get in the car park it was so busy. He has a walking stick and arthritis in his legs, it wouldnt take much to knock him over and I worry that in all the madness he will have an accident. I understand that there are so many people needing help, Im happy to pay for the assistance but getting it is a nightmare. No delivery slots, not vulnerable enough for a food parcel. I will try the Morrison’s box delivery.
If not try local farm shops. Lots near us doing boxes with bread milk eggs bread fruit veg meat etc and delivering.

also check local Facebook groups. There’s one where we live that has put a phone number out and leaflets and you can call it and a volunteer will help

That's stating if you've more than one employer to begin with

If you were seeking new employment your present employer would have to pay you off

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.