Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Those figures make me sad! I honestly feel like I'm in a living nightmare sometimes. My Daughter has had an off few days with a cough and temp but seems okay in herself. Now hoping my Husband gets better sharpish as hes constantly coughing, got a sore throat, puffy eyes plus aching all over, his chest was wheezy this morning too. It's so hard not to panic with the world being as it is 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Big jump in new Scottish cases today - 430. My family were a bit optimistic in the group chat yesterday after new cases appeared to be slowing but I had a feeling it was just random.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Another 367 have sadly died in England😞 total is now 1651
I heard that today’s number would be inflated though? Apparently previous days had only included deaths at hospital and today’s were going to include the others?

let me try and find where I read it

Reactions: 1
Also there is a Facebook group I have joined called furloughnewstarters and we have emailed the chancellor and local MP’s to try to get this oversight rectified.

It would mean the world to me and I’m sure some others if you wouldn’t mind taking 1 minute to sign and share the petition.

Reactions: 2
I read the Scottish total today includes a backlog from the weekend, could be the same case for England/Wales/N.Ireland

Big jump in new Scottish cases today - 430. My family were a bit optimistic in the group chat yesterday after new cases appeared to be slowing but I had a feeling it was just random.
The scottish ones are high because there was an issue with one of the testing labs submitting positive cases

I read that 40 people died out of hospital up to the 20th of march So if it includes them its still a very high number.

Reactions: 1
2020 was meant to be the year I got back on my feet :( I know we're are lucky to be in our houses but I spent a lot of last year and pretty much all of 2018 in bed recovering from chemo. It's like de ja vu in a weird sort of way. Not to mention I am once again scared shitless that if I haven't already had this (which I think there's a decent chance I have) it's still in the back of my mind that there's something going round that could kill me very easily seeing as I'm one of the 1.5 million "vulnerable". Fear of death changes you in unimaginable ways, if anything good comes from this it should be that everyone gains some empathy, patience and more kindness for others.

On a positive note, the job I applied for got in touch yesterday, and I was successful, however they are postponing recruitment until this is all over to protect people from becoming poorly. So, at least I know I have a new career waiting for me at the end of this, just something that is keeping me going.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
A friend of mine has been furloughed by her employer, but she's going out of her mind bored at home so mentioned that she might apply for one of the temp jobs on offer at our local Aldi. She asked my opinion on whether this is allowed.

I've done some research on the government website about the job retention scheme and can't find anything that expressly says you can't take up secondary employment whilst furloughed. In fact, it just says you can't carry out any work for your employer at that time. It does mention second jobs which you already have, but nothing about new temporary employment. Does anybody have any thoughts/knowledge on this?

A friend of mine has been furloughed by her employer, but she's going out of her mind bored at home so mentioned that she might apply for one of the temp jobs on offer at our local Aldi. She asked my opinion on whether this is allowed.

I've done some research on the government website about the job retention scheme and can't find anything that expressly says you can't take up secondary employment whilst furloughed. In fact, it just says you can't carry out any work for your employer at that time. It does mention second jobs which you already have, but nothing about new temporary employment. Does anybody have any thoughts/knowledge on this?
I wouldn’t have thought you could. We have furloughed staff and made it clear they can’t work elsewhere. if they receive 80% wages from one employer then any income would be taxed at Basic Rate due to the other. I probably wouldn’t risk it and would volunteer if she’s bored.

Reactions: 9

What about the Citizens Advice website?

Speculation only - I have no idea how the UK tax system works but I know its not too different from Ireland

I would imagine if furloughed your existing tax and tax credits would be still active, e.g. your employer pays you as normal while maintaining your PAYE etc. So in theory if thats true you could take up a second job but you would likely push yourself into a higher tax bracket meaning it might not be worth your while financially.

Speculation only - I have no idea how the UK tax system works but I know its not too different from Ireland

I would imagine if furloughed your existing tax and tax credits would be still active, e.g. your employer pays you as normal while maintaining your PAYE etc. So in theory if thats true you could take up a second job but you would likely push yourself into a higher tax bracket meaning it might not be worth your while financially.
this is correct. it’s a tricky situation but I feel like if you’re lucky enough to be having your job held with 80% wages perhaps not look a gift horse in the mouth? 😁
maybe that’s just me, but I am an employer and furloughing people is not an easy task.

Reactions: 4
So how about the volunteer scheme? It's supposedly starting today? I have the app and haven't receiving any notifications or anything yet.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.