Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People are now trying to organise a clap for Boris:sick: I could get behind the NHS one but not for Boris.

Possibly dumb question but is it ok for people to drop things off on the door step? My mums getting a shop in a few days and has offered to leave us a few bits on the door step.
Yesterday I dropped off food to my mother in law who is in her 70’s on her doorstep. We didn’t see each other. I rang to tell her I was coming so she knew when it would be there.
Yesterday I also dropped off food for my dad. He is disabled so I got him to open a window, whilst I stood back, then he moved away so that I could drop the bags in. Told him I loved him, then I pushed the window closed for him to lock.

Is either your mum or anyone in your household in the vulnerable group? If so, and she got stopped then that’s fine.
Or if your mum is in the vulnerable group, then you could drive to hers and leave food on her doorstep and theoretically at the same time collect a bag that’s left out. If you’re all fit and healthy, I think it’s a grey area but it’s actually safer for you to get shopping from her doorstep or she leaves it on yours than to go shopping yourself. It’s just if she gets stopped then her journey might be classed as non essential if nobody is in the vulnerable group.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yep my girl is 5 this October and we’re meant to be hearing on April 16th, have the places already been decided so it’s just an email being sent out or are they still doing it? Will the other kids end up being held back a year? I so wish there was more information about schooling
Oh no what a stressful time! It’s stressful enough without this! I hope you hear soon x

Thank you so much I did mean to look into hypnobirthing last time but just didn't get round to it as I was working full time, I'll definitely download that book now xx
the positive birth company do free videos on YouTube and that was better than anything for me! the breathing exercises helped.me get through 34 hours of labour!

Reactions: 1
Yep my girl is 5 this October and we’re meant to be hearing on April 16th, have the places already been decided so it’s just an email being sent out or are they still doing it? Will the other kids end up being held back a year? I so wish there was more information about schooling
I have no idea at all. The timescale on the educations authority just says letters will be received on 29th April confirming places...theres no update on their website to say if it still stands

Reactions: 3
Yesterday I dropped off food to my mother in law who is in her 70’s on her doorstep. We didn’t see each other. I rang to tell her I was coming so she knew when it would be there.
Yesterday I also dropped off food for my dad. He is disabled so I got him to open a window, whilst I stood back, then he moved away so that I could drop the bags in. Told him I loved him, then I pushed the window closed for him to lock.

Is either your mum or anyone in your household in the vulnerable group? If so, and she got stopped then that’s fine.
Or if your mum is in the vulnerable group, then you could drive to hers and leave food on her doorstep and theoretically at the same time collect a bag that’s left out. If you’re all fit and healthy, I think it’s a grey area but it’s actually safer for you to get shopping from her doorstep or she leaves it on yours than to go shopping yourself. It’s just if she gets stopped then her journey might be classed as non essential if nobody is in the vulnerable group.
Thank you no she’s not classed as vulnerable. We have a food shop coming Friday, partners going to pop out today to get bits to see us through till then but if he can’t get milk or something then she said she’ll leave some for us.

People seem so confused over the rules I just wanted to make sure!

I think they'll be looking to open up schools after 2-3 months and have a longer term over summer.

BBC news had someone analysing the first couple of hundred deaths in the UK. 1/2 to 2/3rds were expected to die within a year. There's no good choice but closing everything down and trashing the economy is quite likely to kill far more. It's definitely the right thing to close down for a bit as we know so little about the virus. Then it comes down to choosing the least tit option.
I can't see this happening I think it would cause even more chaos to change the terms going forward as dates are set a couple years in advance so things like holidays, in service days (training booked), maintenance, exams etc for next few years would already be scheduled ? I imagine whenever they go back they will stick to normal schedule which is why I think they will just wait until August (September in England) and restart a fresh in the new acedmic year.

I did wonder if they might get a chance to go in for the last couple of days of term (end of June here) to allow new classes to be assigned and the new starts to have a mini induction but I don't think anyone knows anything at the moment and that is purely me pondering how they could make things easier if they are allowed.

Maybe Scotland and England will do things differently as you guys have longer until the end of your school year.

Reactions: 2
I absolutely cannot see them doing school through the summer. People have plans, it just wouldn’t work.

I absolutely cannot see them doing school through the summer. People have plans, it just wouldn’t work.
Plus schools are staying open over Easter to look after key worker’s children so there is zero chance they will keep running into the summer holiday. The teachers need a break and everything would be out of sync with normal terms and structures.

Reactions: 11
Thank you I'll have a look at that today, if home births are allowed and I can get on with hypnobirthing I think I'll aim for that, my first resulted in me needing help due to mistakes made by the hospital there was no medical reason which they decided to tell me once I was already in theatre so I already don't trust them without the treat of this virus! I'll try and talk to my midwife about everything thoroughly to way things up xx
I think rather (not sure if its in every hospital but wouldn't surprise me if it was) they're treating people in exact locations like units specifically for the virus rather, like those like when I had a loop ileostomy due to me being underweight at the time (all the time during it) for a J Pouch operation (in the US they call it the take down) was in hospital about every three months due to a bowel infection my immune system was pretty poor and due to not having a large bowel anymore would get critically dehydrated and not well at all they'd effectively have me in isolation to a side room in a hospital ward where I couldn'tleave the room due to the risks of being contagious especially to older people and just give me IV fluids (therapy treatment in the same way with this due to not having a vaccine yet)

Like a Junior Doctor in an A&E of a hospital Dr Hope's Sick Notes (Dr Ed Hope) said they were treating people in these sort of pods when no one was allowed in there who wasn't authorised/trained to deal with it even and keeping it strictly monitored

Thank you I'll have a look at that today, if home births are allowed and I can get on with hypnobirthing I think I'll aim for that, my first resulted in me needing help due to mistakes made by the hospital there was no medical reason which they decided to tell me once I was already in theatre so I already don't trust them without the treat of this virus! I'll try and talk to my midwife about everything thoroughly to way things up xx
Sorry if I've missed on previous posts but I drank raspberry leaf tea with my second and had a completely different experience. Not sure if it was the tea or not. X

Schools will definitely not be opening after the Easter holidays, teachers have not received info on that.
I think they will reopen in September. You don’t go and cancel all GCSEs and Alevels if schools are only closed for 2 or 3 weeks. This is obviously a longer term measure.
Our head teacher was saying he doesn't expect us to be open until September

I think it’s basically if you live together you can go for a walk together ie if you’re a family of four you can go for a walk as a family of four but you can’t go out with your neighbours for example as a 4.
I think that’s clear but the advice is no gatherings of more than 2 people except if you’re all members of the same household. That implies you could meet one other person from a different household as long as it’s just you two. Which contradicts the advice that we shouldn’t be meeting anyone from outside our household

I just think the government needs to change this advice as I can see why people might (wilfully) misinterpret it as being able to meet with one friend from another household

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I can't see this happening I think it would cause even more chaos to change the terms going forward as dates are set a couple years in advance so things like holidays, in service days (training booked), maintenance, exams etc for next few years would already be scheduled ? I imagine whenever they go back they will stick to normal schedule which is why I think they will just wait until August (September in England) and restart a fresh in the new acedmic year.
I think in the grand scheme of things training and holidays booked are the very thin end of the wedge.

Schools are being kept open with a skeleton staff on rotation for childcare.

I think it's possible they'll be open for a few more weeks in the summer. But like everything with the virus so little is known.

Reactions: 5
It’s going to be so hard for children to readjust to being back at school, they will have to do a slow start and reintroduce work over a period of time. My daughter is off to secondary school so no idea what will happen, I’m hoping they can go back to primary for a few weeks to end properly.

It will be a long time before people are jetting off abroad on holiday, I certainly can’t see it being anytime this year. Just being able to see friends and family is enough.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
So what powers are you asking for our beloved leaders to unleash on us next?

A WIFi lockdown to stop people ordering online, the Post Office to be given powers to open our post?

Interesting that during a international crisis I'm seeing jobs being advertised for delivery firms....seems like social distancing is only working one way.

Be very careful what you wish for.
Just a bit of common sense from the general public really.
If you seriously can’t go 3 weeks without ordering anything but essentials theres something wrong......people are dying, people are risking their lives to save others and keep the country running.
Pretty sure we can sit at home without Rebecca Meldrums aff link lounge wear.
It’s about having power over people, it’s protecting our health and NHS.

Reactions: 17
It’s going to be so hard for children to readjust to being back at school, they will have to do a slow start and reintroduce work over a period of time. My daughter is off to secondary school so no idea what will happen, I’m hoping they can go back to primary for a few weeks to end properly.

It will be a long time before people are jetting off abroad on holiday, I certainly can’t see it being anytime this year. Just being able to see friends and family is enough.
No I don’t see it being this year either. They have just passed a bill mandating employers allow employees to roll over this years paid holidays into the next two years if they don’t get to use them all this year. That will royally piss my boss off as they don’t let us roll anything over!

Just a bit of common sense from the general public really.
If you seriously can’t go 3 weeks without ordering anything but essentials theres something wrong......people are dying, people are risking their lives to save others and keep the country running.
Pretty sure we can sit at home without Rebecca Meldrums aff link lounge wear.
It’s about having power over people, it’s protecting our health and NHS.
Just 3 weeks? I think people are in for a huge shock this week and the next when the time is apparently up.

It's very easy to spout the mantra "just stay home".

How about those for whom home is a prison? . Those in abusive relationships, addictions, mental health, child abuse. I don't see any reference to that in the media. The overstretched mental health teams, social workers and care workers? Why isn't everyone clapping for them? The human cost to this is going to far outweigh any casualties from the "virus" itself.

• Sad
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.