Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 44, I’ve told my 21 yr old daughter that I have life insurance policy that will pay full mortgage if she needs it where it is. I’m scared as hell atm. Hubby is in the vulnerable category with a small life plan and a death in service cover, it def weighs heavy on my mind, and I need my loved ones to know what I have if things happen
I’m also hoping I’m here for many many yrs yet to see my grandson grown up and my other kids leave school, I’ve had pneumonia before and since then I get bad colds and often panic and think I’m not long for the world. Born worrier. My hubby is on immunosuppressants and he’s more worried about me getting this more than he is of himself getting it.
I’ve been over-thinking about this “extremely” vulnerable list who will be receiving NHS letters to self isolate this week.
A lot of us are surprised that previous conditions that were “just” classed as vulnerable are not on the “extremely“ list.

Could it be because the government are putting in place food parcels and medication deliveries to some of the “extremely” vulnerable and they don’t want to have to do it for the vulnerable too?
Or am I just being cynical?
It just seems strange that we had a long list of who was vulnerable and how they must self isolate but today they’re no longer classed this way.
My husband is classed as the extremely vulnerable on immunosuppressants. I think again it’s just a suggestion anyway. I know my husband would rather be at work than having to isolate for 12 weeks he’s well atm, and looks like he will only be paid ssp. Don’t think this 80% pay relates to him as his company hasn’t closed

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I’ve been over-thinking about this “extremely” vulnerable list who will be receiving NHS letters to self isolate this week.
A lot of us are surprised that previous conditions that were “just” classed as vulnerable are not on the “extremely“ list.

Could it be because the government are putting in place food parcels and medication deliveries to some of the “extremely” vulnerable and they don’t want to have to do it for the vulnerable too?
It just seems strange that we had a long list of who was vulnerable and how they must self isolate but today they’re no longer classed this way.
I’m worried that this letter is something we will have to prove to employers. I can already hear my matron saying that will have to come in.

I am worried sick tonight. My mum rang me to say her, my dad and grandpa are self isolating and won’t see me or my son for 12 weeks. I just sobbed down the phone. She is begging me to stay off work, as she is so worried. My heart and soul is the NHS; all I have ever known and all I ever will be is a nurse. I can’t imagine being there on the front line, but at the same time I can’t afford to make me or my family sick.

i never ever get scared. It’s not my personality. I’m totally scared tonight.

• Sad
Reactions: 11

Yes this is what ive been thinking, are they now telling ones not on the new list they dont have to self isolate just practice social distancing?

Reactions: 3
How awful for both of you, I wish we could all wake up tomorrow and it were a bad dream. I think there will be many conversations like this happening. You sound like a wonderful daughter and you will go on doing as best you can to protect him. We will look back on this in disbelief that it ever happened.
I’m only doing what the majority of us would do for our parents - no more, no less.
My dad brought me up (mum left) so we are very close.

I just hate not being able to hug him and reassure him.
The elderly who live alone must be so frightened by all this.
At least we have an outlet here which I’m so thankful for.
99% of people who post on this thread “get it”. On FB I’m astounded at how many don’t.
The amount that have the “I’m all right Jack” mentality beggars belief. A crisis certainly shows people’s true colours and shows who you can count on. I feel a culling of my ”friends” list is in order once this is over - a few are on yellow cards now! :LOL:

Reactions: 20
@Nicnac apologies if already been posted, I've not fully caught up, but it's only the vulnerable who need to SI according to the government website Screenshot_20200322_193258_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200322_193329_com.android.chrome.jpg

Reactions: 2
I’m astounded by the groups of cyclists gathering at a cafe in richmond park pre-peddle, do they have a different set of social-distancing rules than everyone else? When asked, one replied “don’t care” 😳

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Totally off thread ..a 7yr old girl was stabbed to death in a park in Bolton by a random stranger...30yr old woman arrested :( as if this virus isn't having a bad enough effect on people her poor family have this to deal with aswell...
How awful.
These events are shocking regardless but, I don’t know why, they seem even more shocking in the current climate. I know that probably doesn’t make any sense but I know what I mean.

My emotions are all over the place right now. One minute I’m sobbing and the next I read something on here that makes me smile. It’s such an emotional rollercoaster and it really messes with your head.

Reactions: 15
This helps clarify why gathering in large groups is bad, as understanding seems to be a bit vague

Message from a consultant in ICU:
===============
Why do we need to shut places where people group?

Remember this: VIRAL LOAD

There will be a lot about this. Why is it important?

With this virus, the amount of virus in your blood at first infection directly relates to the severity of the illness you will suffer. This isn’t unusual - HIV management is all about reducing viral load to keep people alive longer. BUT it’s very important in COVID-19.

So if you are in, say, a pub or religious building or entertainment venue with 200 people and a large number don’t have symptoms but are shedding, you are breathing in lots of droplets per minute and absorbing a high load of the virus. In a crowded space. They become ill over the next 48 hours. You then three days later wonder why you can’t breathe and end up in hospital. You’d decided because you were young and healthy it wasn’t going to be a problem. Wrong.

Fortunately but unfortunately because the elderly are isolating quite well, the initial UK data suggests that all age groups above 20 are almost equally represented in ITUs in England. Most of the cases are in London but the wave is moving outwards.

This means that being under 60 and fit and well doesn’t seem to be as protective as we thought. Why? Viral load.

This may be skewed simply by the fact that too many Londoners didn’t do as asked and congregated in large groups in confined spaces and got a large initial viral load. They then went home and infected their wider families. Which is why, as London is overwhelmed, we need to shut everything down to save the rest of the UK. We are a week at most behind London.

Our sympathies go out to the families affected in London and the critical care teams battling right now to save as many as they can.

If I sit with one person and catch this virus, I get a small viral load. My immune system will start to fight it and by the time the virus starts replicating, I’m ready to kill it.

No medicines will help this process meaningfully hence there is no “cure” for this virus. All we can do is support you with a ventilator and hope your immune system can catch up fast enough.

If I sit in the same room with six people, all shedding I get six times the initial dose. The rise in viral load is faster than my immune system can cope with and it is overrun. I then become critically ill and need me (or someone of my specialty) to fix it instead of just being at home and being ok in the end.

THIS BIT IS IMPORTANT:

If you are a large family group, remember that by being ill and in the same room, you will make each other ill or “more ill”. If you get sick, isolate just yourself to one room and stay there. Don’t all sit in one room coughing. You will increase the viral load for all of you, reducing your survival rate.

A family of six people may produce double the droplets of a family of three in the same space. Maths is important.

If one of you is symptomatic, assume you are all shedding and make sure you keep some space.

Parents are getting it from their kids because no one is going to stop comforting their child (nor should they) so the parent gets a big hit as well as the child. I don’t think that can be helped.

REMEMBER: THINK ABOUT VIRAL LOAD

This information is supported by a peer-reviewed paper recently published in The Lancet. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30232-2/fulltext

Reactions: 30
This may of already been said on earlier threads but if you want daily,informative and factual updates please search Dr John Campbell on YouTube he delivers his updates in a very calm and somewhat reassuring manner too xx

Reactions: 6
Just back from work and although it was heaving first thing it was very quiet this afternoon. Shelves are gradually being stocked though theres still no toilet roll.
People must be social distancing and keeping away from mums as the amount of flowers we had left was shocking.
Supermarkets may be raking it in food sales wise but the clothing arms and non essential stuff, awful.

Reactions: 5
My emotions are also haywire. This whole situation is making me feel all kind of ways.
Put my son to bed tonight and saw my oldest in him (he died a few years ago) and usually this makes me smile because he’s so much like his big brother but today I just bawled. It’s making me miss him loads. 😔 I think hard times just effect us in all kinds of ways..

• Sad
Reactions: 41
Why are people still saying don’t go out under any circumstances unless it’s a medical emergency.
When The bleeping prime minister said earlier on that’s only for 1.5mil high risk people. Everyone else can go for a walk, get fresh air, go to the park

Reactions: 5
How awful.
These events are shocking regardless but, I don’t know why, they seem even more shocking in the current climate. I know that probably doesn’t make any sense but I know what I mean.

My emotions are all over the place right now. One minute I’m sobbing and the next I read something on here that makes me smile. It’s such an emotional rollercoaster and it really messes with your head.
keep smiling and laughing whenever you can and cry, eleven year old daughter tells me crying helps to lose weight (I’m not suggesting you need to, let me make that clear) . Although lots of things she says are a bit wayward!

Last edited:
  • Haha
I’m 44, I’ve told my 21 yr old daughter that I have life insurance policy that will pay full mortgage if she needs it where it is. I’m scared as hell atm. Hubby is in the vulnerable category on immunosuppressants with a small life plan and a death in service cover, it def weighs heavy on my mind, and I need my loved ones to know what I have if things happen
Its such a weight on a lot of people's minds but at least you know you have everything in place should they need it.

I'm only 30 and last week made sure my Will was up to date and with the correct people. Checked my life insurance paperwork was in the right places etc.
I have 2 young children so making sure they're covered in all eventualities is always top of my list.
It still amazes me that people don't have life insurance... Especially parents.

• Sad
I’m worried that this letter is something we will have to prove to employers. I can already hear my matron saying that will have to come in.

I am worried sick tonight. My mum rang me to say her, my dad and grandpa are self isolating and won’t see me or my son for 12 weeks. I just sobbed down the phone. She is begging me to stay off work, as she is so worried. My heart and soul is the NHS; all I have ever known and all I ever will be is a nurse. I can’t imagine being there on the front line, but at the same time I can’t afford to make me or my family sick.

i never ever get scared. It’s not my personality. I’m totally scared tonight.
Public health guidelines are still advised to work from home. https://phw.nhs.wales/topics/latest...rotecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults/

Reactions: 4
My daughter lives in a cul de sac and she's just sent me a photo of 3 lots of neighbours all sitting outside on the street with their kids this afternoon, not social distancing, grandparents and other people coming and going and all having a picnic🙄😳

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
On a lighter note

Tescos, good, occasionally busy later.

Sainsburys, moderate to good, sale on Corn Flakes.

Asda, slight to moderate, heavy crowds by evening.

Marks and Spencers and Co-Op, fair.

Waitrose fair to moderate, spillage in aisle 7.

Lidl, rough at first, moderate later.

And that's the end of the Shopping Forecast.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Harvey Weinstein has tested positive for Corona... If this needs to kill anyone off.. Its him.
Sick bastard.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.