Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

grumpy-nosy-cow

VIP Member
Are you in a university town? I think it was the time of year just before it all really kicked off that there was a new influx of foreign students, not just from China but everywhere. My friend deals with the foreign students who come to our local university and all the Chinese students had to self isolate for 14 days so if maybe that there genuinely has been an increase in foreign students in your town. I felt very bad for them, I did a year abroad as part of my degree and it’s scary anyway at the best of times and they came over just as it was kicking off so they had to isolate in a foreign country and not know if their families were ok.
no but we are close to London so perhaps some chose to live there to save on rent etc. I work in the City and its the trains and city in general where ive seen the increase. perhaps its because most of them had masks on !

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Local boots has staff at the door asking if you are buying essentials or browsing. You cannot browse or look at anything make up etc. Only to buy what you need.
I was in my local Boots yesterday and it was just the same as normal with everyone browsing.

lexle

I wish I had bulk bought and stock piled. Cant get anything now and need to do a shop for my family and my dad whilst items are limited per customer and there probably won't be much in either.
Same here 😩 I didn’t think it would end up like this, probably me being a bit naive there. Checking the shops everyday now for the things I need

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Listening to him he sounds like he has tonsillitis (I was plagued as kid to the point I had it monthly and they removed them) and they’re certainly larger than normal having just checked but no spots. He’s eating and drinking and absolutely no issues with breathing or cough. He’s very rarely ill, only ever had 1 sickness bug and even then didn’t vomit. Usually I don’t worry but now I am 😫
My son had repeated tonsillitis all through his childhood and it always started with a very high temp that lasted 2-3 days. He could always still eat and drink which is why the hospital wouldn't remove them as they said he wasn't getting it badly enough or missing enough school but he used to get it every 3 week at one point. It did used to give him very smelly breath..have you noticed that?

Jane565

Chatty Member
Could i ask advice please. Ive had a dry cough and headache ive been self isolating. I dont know if what ive had is corona. But im also on the vulnerable list (not the severity of the letter thankfully). But my question is would you return to work as normal or ask to work from home (boss is a cow and doesnt like that idea). Im just concerned because theres nothing to say if anyone has had it that they are immune. Just can imagine my boss saying youre ok uve had it u shuld just work as normal now. I do office work btw. Sorry for waffle. Tia. 😊

Walshanator

I popped out to the supermarket, and it was full of people everywhere. A shop next-door that sells fitness equipment had a massive queue. I'm honestly baffled. Nobody was keeping any distance. People just don't seem to understand that we should only really go out to get essentials! Such as food. Queuing in front of a fitness shop, I just don't understand. There were also various people that were coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth! I'm just so upset. :confused::cry:
My son in law has brought all of his gym bits to my garage, he has a key so can just let himself in and out of it. He’s one of those who needs to go to the gym 5 times a week at least (I know 🙄🙄) so would affect his mental health I’m sure if he can’t exercise, he mentioned that he’s looked online for more equipment and it’s all sold out. The gym closures are forcing people like him to work out at home which in my opinion is for the best atm, but there’s no way he would be going out shopping for it.

Argento

The person I was referring to works in a restaurant. She absolutely cannot work from home. Therefore she can only claim the 80% salary if everyone is temporarily laid off. In the end, she didn't give enough info as they are fully closed and paying people anyway.

Those who work from home will be receiving their salary as normal so the 80% doesn't apply unless the business has to close and stop all homeworking.

The whole conversation was about the hospitality sector which is work that cannot be done from home, the early years which can't be done from home and non essential shops (everything but food and pharmacy)

If all these close then the Gov will cover 80% of all salaries as long as those people are taken back on after.

If they stay open (without forced closure) then employees can either work, self isolate and claim sick pay, not work and claim universal credit. The 80% will then come into play once the entire business closes.
Hi Emily

That's very interesting and if correct happy to concede my logic was flawed.

If it is correct it could present a challenging conundrum for businesses. For example:

A company might have 200 employees who work in the production facility which has to be closed down due to coronavirus. They may also have a team of 50 people who are engaged in product development, IT development, marketing, finance etc etc who could work from home completing tasks that would prepare the business to be up and running efficiently when the time is right.

If I am understanding the 80% correctly the company have 2 options:

1. Continue to operate which means that 50 people will receive full salary and the business will be well prepared for re-start whilst the 200 are forced to apply for SSP or Universal Credit, both of which will be (I assume) less than 80% of salary.

2. Close down the business so that all employees receive 80% of salary but the business will not be prepared for restart thus slowing the return to profitability and possibly leading to further job loss.

In option 1 the 200 will be resentful of the business owners and perhaps the 50 because they have been driven into poverty and have no promise of a job to return to.

In option 2, the business and perhaps the 50 will be resentful of the 200 because the 50 will only be receiving 80% of salary and the business will not be as well prepared for restart.

Is my understanding correct? If so what a choice. Which one do you think businesses will make?

Lovelylavenderface

I’m on my way to the vets by bus so scared but it’s essential so having to do it despite the coronavirus warning to stay in and not travel :( is this ok?

Adios

Does anyone know if there still is/was a postal service in Spain or Italy, I'm presuming there won't be in Italy going forward after this evening's announcement.
Someone has just pointed out to me that the next conference is at 4.10 and shops shut at 4pm today maybe a coincidence but perhaps he is going the next step today and saying they will not be reopening.
Its been moved to 5pm

monga

VIP Member
Don't do it. I'd you get I'll the ONE hospital that Cornwall cannot cope with the influx of people who will be thinking along the same lines as you.

Wow really. Do you know if she has a temp though?
She has a headache and temp

MrsGarcia

Chatty Member
When I go to the supermarket I'll be wearing a mask I got from the £1 shop in the DIY section (probably no good but still) under a scarf. 😊
I wore gloves in Wilko yesterday. I was buying compost so it didn't look too wierd. Surprisingly tricky to count pounds notes out in plastic gloves though. I'm seeing more people in masks. If we all did it people might start being more careful. Still so many people seem so blasé.

Dear Reader

Warning: potentially dumb question...

If/when the UK goes on lockdown, does this mean we will be unable to go to the shops to get food? I understand everything else will be shut, but what about supermarkets and pharmacies?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I took a break from this thread for my mh lol