Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #12

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Will Ocado still deliver if there is a lockdown? I have a delivery booked for Friday that I booked 2 weeks ago, I’m relying on that to get us through 😫 #firstworldproblems

Just went to Lidl 10 mins before they closed. It was pretty empty and shelves pretty well stocked. Only thing they didn't have is the only thing I wanted - bleach. Ended up getting toilet cleaner but I'm going to have to scrub with that aren't I 😬. I think stock shortages will be all over by next week.
My local Lidl has lots of everything, was very impressed! No Loo and Kitchen Roll, Bread and the Wine and Beer section was bare but managed to get 2 bottles of their £2.99 special offer Merlot 👍🏻🍷 There were restrictions on fresh products like meat and even managed to pick up some tinned goods. Should we have to self isolate for 14 days we’ll be ok now. Nothings stockpiled, just sufficient for that period.

Reactions: 3
I didn't bulk buy. I started adding extra to my shopping weeks ago because we knew this was coming 🤷‍♀️ I don't agree with panic buying stacks of supplies and clearing shelves like we're seeing now. We could all see what was happening across the globe and nobody wanted to prepare.
I didn’t defend bulk buying but I started buying extra in February before it became fashionable.... I’ve been to the shop once (spent £10!) since then, so although I bought more in the beginning I haven’t needed to go to the shop.

Reactions: 7
Also in my online Asda shop they have a deal on Peroni (for my husband... the one who had a six hour fever and put us in social isolation for two weeks 😂) it’s 4 for £6 .... except you can only order 3 as a maximum 😂 maybe need to change their offer!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I think there’s a huge difference to adding a bit extra to your shop as opposed to buying it in one hit?

wasn’t there the example of buying 6 packets of pasta.
If you did one extra per week over 6 weeks, compared to 6 packs in one go 🤷🏻‍♀️ The difference is huge

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I didn’t defend bulk buying but I started buying extra in February before it became fashionable.... I’ve been to the shop once (spent £10!) since then, so although I bought more in the beginning I haven’t needed to go to the shop.
No I agree. I did the same. And as of this morning we are in for 14 days straight thanks to my youngest coughing and sniffing like a trooper 😷 We have enough food for longer than that and spent the day planting vegetables. We are living The Good Life*. We all know the slugs will get the veg before we do* 😭

• Haha
Also in my online Asda shop they have a deal on Peroni (for my husband... the one who had a six hour fever and put us in social isolation for two weeks 😂) it’s 4 for £6 .... except you can only order 3 as a maximum 😂 maybe need to change their offer!
Our local Tesco cancelled all offers the other week when they limited stock. Maybe ASDA haven't noticed that yet

Reactions: 4
Just wondering if all the posters from the early threads who were defending hoarding and bulk buying still feel the same?
100% I tripled my usual ‘order’ of tinned and long-life stuff on each of my weekly online shops for about 3 weeks and ordered a pack of 60 loo roll off Amazon etc. I also bought more frozen stuff (our freezer is usually only half full tbh) so that is now well stocked as well. As a result of this we have been able to be self-sufficient and implement social distancing without going to shops unnecessarily, and will be able to do so for another week or so.

I didn’t ‘hoard’ and it’s not excessive (not in my opinion). We’re a family of five so buying 3 packs of pasta as opposed to 1 isn’t excessive in my view, but it has meant that we have avoided this supermarket madness because in my opinion lots of the secondary wave of infections will be from exactly these places.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Judging by the lack of adhering to the rules, I wouldn’t be surprised if he chooses to lock down tonight. It makes sense as people would just return home and it’s before the start of the week tomorrow.

Reactions: 6
My daughter is self isolating. I’ve not been out since Wednesday and I’m calling work tomorrow and saying I’m not coming in to self isolate. Sod em, my family & health come first. My manager wasn’t understanding at all. I’m a mental health practitioner/counsellor and we help people with other issues like debt and financial which is in dire need right now - really hope they fast track home working. I want to be able to help others and carrying on with my role just safely. X
let me know how it goes. I’m speaking with my manager tomorrow but I doubt she’s going to shift.

I did the same re: bulk buying.
when I saw it started to spread I had a feeling so bought a few extra whenever I went shopping. Which I do anyway occasionally so my behaviour really wasn’t out of the norm for me. It wasn’t enough to take from anyone else but enough that I was covered for a few weeks at least.
I hate shopping so I pretty much always buy more so I don’t have to go as often. 😂

Reactions: 5
I did the same re: bulk buying.
when I saw it started to spread I had a feeling so bought a few extra whenever I went shopping. Which I do anyway occasionally so my behaviour really wasn’t out of the norm for me. It wasn’t enough to take from anyone else but enough that I was covered for a few weeks at least.
I hate shopping so I pretty much always buy more so I don’t have to go as often. 😂
I think there’s a difference to putting an extra four pack of beans in to buying six packs of pasta for example. We are the same do a bigger shop sometimes when I notice things are getting low so my behaviour didn’t change in that respect.

Oh that’s interesting wonder why the number doesn’t follow the trend of 20-30 a day. Worried they’re covering something up now.
But that’s positive in a way if it is correct

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.