Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Schools haven’t even shut and kids and teenagers are already pissing me off, last night I witnessed a group of girls around aged 12 - 13 playing chap the door run away - normally fine especially if they would do it to healthy people but instead they‘re doing it to the elderly and a younger lady who has terminal cancer which is common knowledge in our town. Parents are part of the “my child is perfect“ brigade so will do nothing to stop them or keep them in. Today it was two boys around 17 chucking glass bottles into an elderly neighbours garden 😤 . On the flip side a neighbours 16 year old son has been going round our elderly neighbours asking if they need anything and has spent the past 2 hours cleaning my neighbours car, neighbour offered him money and he refused

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
I still don’t understand why there is no lockdown and why today’s press conference is filling me with dread. I feel more worried than I did 24hrs ago. Is it just the case of a ‘good news’ today, ‘bad news’ tomorrow situation? Are they talking about the advancements in tests today just to give us hope before a big announcement tmw? We need to stop people flouting the advice. You know there will be idiots out drinking all weekend because they DNGAF!

Reactions: 11
The way he was flapping his arms about I thought he was going to whip out a wand and charm book 😂
He said that the tests to see if we've had the virus already will be like a pregnancy test 🤷🏻‍♀️
I thought the tests were like the finger prick test for diabetics, are they just the self testing kits? I did not imagine it, I am sure I saw this on the C4 news.

Reactions: 5
I thought the tests were like the finger prick test for diabetics, are they just the self testing kits? I did not imagine it, I am sure I saw this on the C4 news.
Yeah they had a report on those literally a week ago, Friday night it was. But I’m not sure if those are what the PM was referring to or not.

Reactions: 1
Yeah I think you're right, the pregnancy part was based on how quickly the results are presented are as prompt as a pregnancy test. ☺

Reactions: 2
For anyone needing the criteria and links to apply for payments whilst either:
Isolating
Without work
Sick

A friend just sent the link in a WhatsApp group.. She works for the jobcentre.
im so confused about what I’m entitled to.😔 I need to make some calls I think

Reactions: 1
yes! I think the “like pregnancy test” bit comes from the fact there are lines to say whether or not you have it! So a good drop or two of blood from a pin prick, on a little plastic stick, which will then mix with a solution to give you a positive/negative line! They had demonstrations on a news report showing them earlier today!

Reactions: 4
I am not convinced we are following Italy's model.

People compare the date of first death in Italy and the first death in the UK and project forward from there.

However, both Italy and the UK reported their first infection on the same date, 31st January and of you work forward from that date then Italy has recorded 35,793 cases in 48 days and the UK 2696 in the same period. This would suggest the UK has done a much better job of containing the virus.

The clustering of cases is very different in Italy and the UK which may have also had an effect. 60% of infections in Italy have occurred in the Lombardy region which only 9200 square miles, Italy is 187,000 miles in total.

It has been said that we are 2 weeks behind Italy but we are better prepared. The Lombardy region was swamped before the Italian authorities were able to mobilise effective measures.

I am hopeful we will not suffer the agony Italy has.
We haven't been testing.

Yeah they had a report on those literally a week ago, Friday night it was. But I’m not sure if those are what the PM was referring to or not.
Thank you for confirming, I was starting to think I had mixed up my day and night cold medication 😂
Boris often leaves me confused, I don't doubt I am alone in that!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My husband (a type 2 diabetic) has been sent home from work on full pay for 12 weeks, and if this isn't sorted by then he's off for a further 14 weeks on full pay, bloody stupid he's not ill !! Government guidelines
Isn't that the point? He stays home so he doesn't get ill as if he did he is high risk of becoming very very ill! Full pay is such a rarity. Most people would be thankful and grateful... I'm on ssp for 2 weeks then I'm back in and out of pharmacies day in day out, not sure if had CV so if not highly likely to get it eventually. Would love the luxury of full pay at home with less chance of becoming infected if I'm honest.

Reactions: 19
Probably already been mentioned but I'm sick of the Worldometer thingy updating at 2pm or after, and then you go back an hour or so later and it's changed again! Don't update it until you have the official number 🙄

Reactions: 3
So after my husbands last job cancelled on him today due to the 🦠 he’s currently out of work. He’s let everyone know he is around for emergency’s and will help but only if they aren’t isolating due to symptoms. Beyond stressed about money. Rent is a major issue. I’m sure it will all work out but gosh it’s stressful!

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Probably already been mentioned but I'm sick of the Worldometer thingy updating at 2pm or after, and then you go back an hour or so later and it's changed again! Don't update it until you have the official number 🙄
Think it would also be due to the different time zones too.

Anymore news on the schools being open for key workers? Anyone heard anything from thier schools? I'm really interested in how it will work.
Our secondary school is remaining open for front line workers children. My son is thrilled as he gets to go (he isn't really!) as we both have front line jobs.

Although I'm now out of work, I. Am back in as our setting is open for front line workers children. Less hours but still money coming in. Even in a full lockdown, I can still work as the children still need the care.

I will send him to school till Easter holidays or lockdown, whichever comes first.

I am not convinced we are following Italy's model.

People compare the date of first death in Italy and the first death in the UK and project forward from there.

However, both Italy and the UK reported their first infection on the same date, 31st January and of you work forward from that date then Italy has recorded 35,793 cases in 48 days and the UK 2696 in the same period. This would suggest the UK has done a much better job of containing the virus.

The clustering of cases is very different in Italy and the UK which may have also had an effect. 60% of infections in Italy have occurred in the Lombardy region which only 9200 square miles, Italy is 187,000 miles in total.

It has been said that we are 2 weeks behind Italy but we are better prepared. The Lombardy region was swamped before the Italian authorities were able to mobilise effective measures.

I am hopeful we will not suffer the agony Italy has.
In italy the first case was reported on february 21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.