Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Still can’t buy any paracetamol or calpol (or toilet roll!). I’m kind of wondering if the hoarding character who everyone talks about is actually as widespread as I thought. Surely every person (reasonably) buying just one or two extra of each item would cause the same level of chaos?

Feeling frustrated but reluctant to judge anyone with a huge shopping trolley as they may well be shopping for elderly relatives, vulnerable friends, neighbours etc

I just wish we knew how long this would go on for. If I could see an end in sight I’d feel better
My husband went to the pharmacy earlier and they prescribed paracetamol

Reactions: 1
Boris Johnson and the other two usuals are live now

Reactions: 2
They have stated the current regulations and restrictions are likely to be 12 weeks!! 😭😭

• Wow
Reactions: 5
In Ireland funerals are still going ahead, but wake and service confined to close family and friends only
Same here at the moment, restricted numbers, only close family and friends and extra hygiene measures in place.
I think going forward things might change 🙁

Italy went on lock down on the 9th March.

In Italy on the 9th March there was:

- 9172 total confirmed cases in the country of coronavirus
- 1797 new case announced in that day alone
- 463 total deaths in the country from coronavirus
- 97 deaths in that day

On March 4th Italy has:
-just over 3000 confirmed cases in total of coronavirus
-587 of these are reported on March 4th
-a total 107 deaths in total from the virus at this time.

The UKs figures as of March 18th:
-2626 total confirmed cases of coronavirus
-676 of those reported on March 18th
-a total of 104 deaths.

If we are following Italy’s model we will lock down from Tuesday.
I am not convinced we are following Italy's model.

People compare the date of first death in Italy and the first death in the UK and project forward from there.

However, both Italy and the UK reported their first infection on the same date, 31st January and of you work forward from that date then Italy has recorded 35,793 cases in 48 days and the UK 2696 in the same period. This would suggest the UK has done a much better job of containing the virus.

The clustering of cases is very different in Italy and the UK which may have also had an effect. 60% of infections in Italy have occurred in the Lombardy region which only 9200 square miles, Italy is 187,000 miles in total.

It has been said that we are 2 weeks behind Italy but we are better prepared. The Lombardy region was swamped before the Italian authorities were able to mobilise effective measures.

I am hopeful we will not suffer the agony Italy has.

Reactions: 6
So nothing really to add today, just talking about new kits.

Still glad he's commited to doing these, notice how he was trying to suggest ending the daily updates and the press teams replied yes they were useful.

Reactions: 14
Boris didn’t really stay much today has he?

he’s all over the place today. He seems pretty erratic.

Positive for the randomised drug trials BUT those will take time. Also interesting about the possible anti body testing kits but again, not a short term solution.

Reactions: 8
Italy has recorded 35,793 cases in 48 days and the UK 2696 in the same period. This would suggest the UK has done a much better job of containing the virus.
Not sure you can draw any conclusions, they are testing a lot less people in the UK so the case numbers will be smaller.

Reactions: 2
At least he turned up, is he taking the weekend off again?
so many “insiders” with egg on their face...for now. 🤷‍♀️
People need to stop with their bullshit insider information, even if it does end up being true, zip it Brenda, you’re just making people anxious for no reason.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
The fact non-essential businesses haven't been closed down yet as in Italy is disgraceful in my opinion. Our death toll could very well overtake theirs at this rate. I know its awful, but if it saves lives, it needs doing.

Reactions: 7
So nothing really to add today, just talking about new kits.

Still glad he's commited to doing these, notice how he was trying to suggest ending the daily updates and the press teams replied yes they were useful.
Yes!!

It was like that awkward moment when someone on a conference call tries to wind down or cancel a really boring regular meeting but gets told NO. 😂😂

• Haha
I’m sorry I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but this is what I’m going through with my 11 year old right now, and it’s heartbreaking to see her so upset. Of course I keep reiterating that it’s all for the greater good and people will hopefully be saved for all our sacrifices, but it just feels so empty. I can’t ever get her these moments back, and I feel so crappy as a mum. Just needed to offload this somewhere as it’s pushed me to tears today, the realisation of it all I think. I’m going to be trying my best to home school my four children from next week whilst being down to one wage, it’s scary and it’s set my anxiety right off. I just have to keep focused that we all have our health right now and that’s all that matters x Thankyou to everyone trying to keep the country running right now, worrying times for sure, thoughts with everyone who has lost a loved one or is ill or self isolating x

Attachments

• Sad
  • Heart
Korea are doing so well, it’s because there testing everyone isn’t it?? We need to be more like them- that’s a sentence I never thought I’d say 🤦‍♀️
South Korea is good....they are the one doing all the testing.
North Korea is not who we should be like, where they are executing people who break the quarantine law.

Reactions: 4
The grandparents of a close friend of mine make up 2 in the latest UK death toll. They passed away not much more than 24 hours after being hospitalised, aged around 89.

Certainly brings things closer to home. My friend says they didn’t cut down on just small social activities soon enough which really underlines how important ‘social distancing’ is.
My gran was still going for coffee up until yesterday, even though my mum tried to explain how she shouldn't be. She is in her 60s but has underlying conditions. It is hard as my grandad is no longer around. She doesn't want to download any video apps either, I am not sure why.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.