Coronation Street #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not victim blaming here but I think this situation is easy for us to say Aaron is wrong because we know what happened whereas in real life where only the 2 people know the truth so it literally is one word against the other and because Amy didn't actually say "no" it's even harder to prove she didn't/couldn't consent

So it might have been an idea to watch it without knowing the full truth and see who we "believed" then maybe see a flash back later after a trial (if it gets that far)

Reactions: 7
Not victim blaming here but I think this situation is easy for us to say Aaron is wrong because we know what happened whereas in real life where only the 2 people know the truth so it literally is one word against the other and because Amy didn't actually say "no" it's even harder to prove she didn't/couldn't consent

So it might have been an idea to watch it without knowing the full truth and see who we "believed" then maybe see a flash back later after a trial (if it gets that far)
Have you watched it? X

Anything other than clear consent is no consent. Why would anyone want to engage in sex with a woman who has passed out?? So yes, having sex with an unresponsive woman is rape. A man in a town close to me went to jail for having sex with women whilst they were asleep, they both woke up to find this happening. Convicted of rape & sent to jail.
I hope that Corrie are going down the route of the issues that we are experiencing IRL with some police forces & there is a better outcome because between Amy & Daisy their experience with the police has been horrific.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

I thought that is what they would have done

Reactions: 1

I think it would have worked better tbh. Show them in bed the next morning. We could be left thinking Amy is being grumpy and feeling guilty because she's slept with her friends boyfriend and then it slowly unravels.

I suppose Aaron feels that they were about to have sex anyway and it's true that Amy probably would have consented if she hadn't passed out. But obviously she didn't because she couldn't. I just dont get why you wuold want to sleep with someone who wasnt into it anyway- like having sex with an inanimate object. I do think it's unfair to paint Aaron as an out and out villain who goes around raping girls. But then I don't think that was really the point- like others have said it's about opening up discussion about consent. Hopefully it will end with Aaron admitting his fault and them all being able to move on.

Reactions: 6
I think Arron genuinely doesn't believe he raped her. He really doesn't think he's done anything wrong. I think that's the angle they're going for.

Reactions: 15
How does it end though? Is Aaron seeing the error of his ways and being truly sorry enough or do we need him to go to jail for rape?

Aaron holding himself accountable and realising that rape isn’t just a violent act in a dark alley etc.
Apologising and leaving.

Reactions: 9
I was dumbfounded when they brought up the 12 month old messages. As if having had sex before means that it can’t be rape. It’s just so wrong.
I think it was more that she was drunk when that happened, they could use it as "we have proof that you have sex while drunk, why is this time different."

Reactions: 3
I think it was more that she was drunk when that happened, they could use it as "we have proof that you have sex while drunk, why is this time different."
What was said about messages please? I didn't catch it until it was half over.

What was said about messages please? I didn't catch it until it was half over.
It was between her and Jacob over having sex drunk in a club. The police woman questioned her as if she was the defence

That’s so ridiculous though. I have sex with my boyfriend when I’m drunk, but my rape after I’d had a few drinks was still rape. The fact I’d been drinking doesn’t make what happened to me not rape. Aaron isn’t her boyfriend like Jacob was (I’m aware a boyfriend/girlfriend can still rape their partner though) and presumably she wasn’t passed out drunk in the club, just really drunk.

The police not taking it seriously doesn’t surprise me though. When I reported what happened to me the police made him shake my hand and apologise. I didn’t know who he was, my friends had met his group of friends on a night out and we were the last 2 awake at the end of the night. They didn’t even collect any evidence from me, no swabs to prove who it was, no formal statements, no actual investigation. They listened to what I told them, decided I was drunk (I had barely had anything to drink all night) and so was he and that was that. It was like I’d told them he bumped in to me in the street.

I hope Amy finds a way to get justice. I don’t think Aaron intended to rape her, but he must have realised she wasn’t participating because she was passed out drunk, you can’t get confused about that because somebody is either joining in or they’re lying there not moving. The storyline has definitely triggered discussions on consent which I guess it’s what it was intended to do. I’ve heard people talking about it at work and the reaction seems quite mixed on whether Aaron is guilty or Amy is “being a drama queen” which is quite disappointing 🙁

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I suppose Aaron feels that they were about to have sex anyway and it's true that Amy probably would have consented if she hadn't passed out.
Aaron was so drunk himself that he might not have even noticed Amy was asleep, and he didn’t know what he was doing either - being so drunk. It’s a very difficult situation and horrible the way the police dealt with it

Reactions: 6
That’s so ridiculous though. I have sex with my boyfriend when I’m drunk, but my rape after I’d had a few drinks was still rape. The fact I’d been drinking doesn’t make what happened to me not rape. Aaron isn’t her boyfriend like Jacob was (I’m aware a boyfriend/girlfriend can still rape their partner though) and presumably she wasn’t passed out drunk in the club, just really drunk.

The police not taking it seriously doesn’t surprise me though. When I reported what happened to me the police made him shake my hand and apologise. I didn’t know who he was, my friends had met his group of friends on a night out and we were the last 2 awake at the end of the night. They didn’t even collect any evidence from me, no swabs to prove who it was, no formal statements, no actual investigation. They listened to what I told them, decided I was drunk (I had barely had anything to drink all night) and so was he and that was that. It was like I’d told them he bumped in to me in the street.

I hope Amy finds a way to get justice. I don’t think Aaron intended to rape her, but he must have realised she wasn’t participating because she was passed out drunk, you can’t get confused about that because somebody is either joining in or they’re lying there not moving. The storyline has definitely triggered discussions on consent which I guess it’s what it was intended to do. I’ve heard people talking about it at work and the reaction seems quite mixed on whether Aaron is guilty or Amy is “being a drama queen” which is quite disappointing 🙁
I’m so sorry you got that treatment from the police. That’s absolutely horrendous. We’re very lucky to have the services we do in Cumbria and the team is excellent and works closely with the police. I can’t believe you were treated this way and I hope you found some therapy. You can always refer to ISVA if you need to and time isn’t a problem. ‘Historic’ rapes can seek help if needed.

Ido think it has us all talking which is excellent. Interesting how people justify the actions. I can 100% believe Aaron doesn’t think he has done anything wrong but this is how these things happen. No amount of alcohol is to blame. Do have sex with someone is a choice and that choice has to come from both people.

Reactions: 5
Aaron knows he did something wrong, he lied and said to Amy that she took her top off and was straddling him which wasn’t true, he took off her underwear while she was asleep, he knew what he was doing

In this case though, other than believing Amy what can the police do they literally have no evidence or proof? He could be innocent for all anyone knows. It doesn't mean the police don't believe her just they don't have the evidence to prosecute.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.