Contraceptive Pills

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all,

I’ve been on the pill for 12 years. Most of it I was on microgynon but 2 years ago I switched to Rigevidon. I’m curious to see what others think of it? Since being on it I find it very hard to lose weight, I’ve definitely had more “blue” episodes and I’m convinced it’s played havoc with my libido. I want to go see my doctor as soon as we’re able to. Always been so shy about it, whenever I’ve had my checkups I say “yeah I’m fine” and no one pushes it.

has anyone else had the same? If so, did you change to a different pill and which ones?

I was on Rigevidon for 2 years, having previously started on Microgynon where I had no side effects. Rigevidon made me really sick - I would often vomit it back up a few hours after taking it or feel sick until I ate something. It gave me horrible mood swings too. I’m back on Microgynon now after begging my doctor because I was so miserable, and I think the Rigevidon has had a longer-lasting effect as I still feel ill from time to time, though no where near as bad.

I was on Microgynon for about 6 years (only having a break to have my daughter). After that, I got put on Rigevidon as well, I didn’t get on with it either. There were no terrible side effects but it just didn’t seem quite right for me. I spoke to my nurse about it & she put me back on Microgynon, so it is still available despite what they might tell you. I never had any trouble getting it from my local pharmacies!

Since having my second baby though, I’ve ditched the pill altogether & have the depo injection. I honestly couldn’t recommend it enough!

Reactions: 1
Thank you both for your advice! I genuinely thought microgynon had been taken off the market as I didn’t ask to be changed I just got my prescription one year and there it was with the new one. I’m glad you both say it’s available and you were able to go back on it.
My current dr surgery is really good so hopefully they’ll have no issue with it.

Thank you both for your advice! I genuinely thought microgynon had been taken off the market as I didn’t ask to be changed I just got my prescription one year and there it was with the new one. I’m glad you both say it’s available and you were able to go back on it.
My current dr surgery is really good so hopefully they’ll have no issue with it.
I always thought the same! It was only when I went for a pill check & asked if I could possibly try a different pill, the nurse told me I could go back to Microgynon if I wanted to. I’m not sure if some surgeries are more reluctant to prescribe it but if it’s available then I don’t really see why not. It’s definitely worth asking anyway!

I’ve not been on the pill for years. I was on microgynon then Dianette to treat for excess hair (yey 🙄) I found Dianette horrid, really blergh. Ended up coming off and got laser hair removal instead ❤

I've been on both microgynon and rigevidon in the past . I got told rigevidon is a cheaper version of the same thing. I didn't notice any difference.

Reactions: 2
Been on rigevidon one full year. Didn’t feel right and was rushed to a&e a couple of weeks ago. Turns out it gave me blood clots on my lung, chest and leg. (I’m not suggesting it was rigevidon specifically, but cause was Ora Combined Pill).
If you don’t feel ‘right’ go to your doctors as it’ll show up with your blood pressure and breathing

my symptoms (on and off so I didn’t associate them)
Tingling in the chest (thought I had anxiety)
Pain in my chest when jogging (boyfriend told me I wasn’t breathing correctly)
Coughing
Pain in left groin (after jogging so through I pulled something)
Pain in left lower back (Thought I’d been on sofa too much)
Funny taste in mouth
Hands would shake
Headaches
Tiredness (would have to go to seep at 8:30 after a chilled day wfh)

The morning it happened my usual lower back pain suddenly went to my leg, it swelled up, went red and eventually I couldn’t move my body. I couldn’t breath, but we thought I was having a panic attack.

i just want you to be aware ... we often think it’ll never be us when doc/nurse tells us the risks. I’m on blood thinners for 6 months and can’t be on any hormonal contraception ever again (confirms or coil) ... if/when I get pregnant I’ll have to have blood thinners injected through out

I don’t want to scare you but I’d also want women to know the risks x

Reactions: 3
They prescribe microgynon because it’s the cheapest, not because it’s what will suit you best. Never be afraid to ask to change. I used to take Cerazette and it was a battle because it cost them so much to prescribe. Kept trying to give me a different brand telling me it was the same. It really wasn’t. I ended up having to get a private prescription in the end as my GP wasn’t allowed to prescribe it due to cost.

Move to a coil if you can and it suits your needs.
Now lasts up to 20 years. And never have it removed when you get to menopause! You will just glide straight through it

They prescribe microgynon because it’s the cheapest, not because it’s what will suit you best. Never be afraid to ask to change. I used to take Cerazette and it was a battle because it cost them so much to prescribe. Kept trying to give me a different brand telling me it was the same. It really wasn’t. I ended up having to get a private prescription in the end as my GP wasn’t allowed to prescribe it due to cost.
I used to be on Microgynon and switched to Cerazette because I had high blood pressure. Now my blood pressure is fine they are PUSHING me to go back to Microgynon. No thanks!

Move to a coil if you can and it suits your needs.
Now lasts up to 20 years. And never have it removed when you get to menopause! You will just glide straight through it
I have the mirena coil which is just for 5 years. The best thing I ever did. I've had no side effects

I have the mirena coil which is just for 5 years. The best thing I ever did. I've had no side effects

Same here. I had mine fitted 5 years ago due to horrible bleeding. Mine is due to be changed this year but the new ones now last 10 years ( as opposed to 5 five years) and I will not need HRT and wont suffer menopause symptoms

Same here. I had mine fitted 5 years ago due to horrible bleeding. Mine is due to be changed this year but the new ones now last 10 years ( as opposed to 5 five years) and I will not need HRT and wont suffer menopause symptoms
I would be worried about having one that lasts that long though. I am really happy with the Mirena for 5 years. Mine is due out next year. The coil really suits me. Can you still have the 5 year one? The worse contraception I had was the implant in the arm. I gained weight and had really bad mood swings. Also the dianette pill was very bad for me.

I’m on cerelle and have been now for just over a year. At first it caused me so many problems, but the main one was the constant bleeding and lasted for at least 8 months! It’s all now died down but I definitely feel that the lockdown hasn’t helped with my mood, but I think it may be the pill effecting this too as it has done previously but just enchanced it all! I’ve also been getting pains around my ovaries, it feels like that pre period/ovulating pain but I’m beginning to become concerned that I may have something like PCOS or endometriosis as I suffered with really bad periods and pain, but since the pill has settled well I haven’t had a period in months and I’m terrified of swapping/coming off the pill and it going back to how it was 😩 the joys of being a woman huh?

I had gederal for most of my adult life it was because of high blood pressure I was prescribed it. Recently I went onto rigevidon probably been on it for 9 months now. I prefer it over gederal to be honest and don’t get headaches and tiredness has improved, but also so has my diet which could have had an influence.

I took Microcynon for about 4 years but started to have some spotting so switched to the depo injection... And subsequently gained about 4 stone in 2 years.

I hated the depo it made me gain so much weight and I had to have it done more regularly than normal as I was bleeding a lot on it. I eventually switched to Cerazette/Cerelle and it stopped my periods all together.

Then I lost a lot of weight and changed my lifestyle completly and started having random irregular periods so I went to see a gyno and they told me to take two pills a day. Since then it's all been good, but I don't trust it to last too long 😂

I took microgynon for about 6 months before I changed - I was constantly in a bad mood, irritable and could snap at the drop of a hat. After that I was on Cerazette for about 8 years (had a break of about 6 months in the middle) and that was fine. Then last year when I mentioned migraines to the GP they took me straight off Cerazette and onto the mini pill instead. No real side effects other than the dirtiest spots around my chin, which are annoying but at least they can be covered up!

If you’re over 45 the mirena is licensed to stay in for 10 years, if you’re under it’s 5 years only. Although current faculty of reproductive sexual health guidelines (during COVID)means the coil can stay in for 6 years.