Contraceptive Pills

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you all for your responses. I’ve thought of getting a coil but so squeamish about it hurting. Tbh I’d love to just go 6 months without any form of contraception that *I* have to be responsible for, condoms just put me off and obviously still prone to failure. Just holding on til we’re old enough that my fella can have the snip. 😂

Reactions: 1
I took microgynon for about 6 months before I changed - I was constantly in a bad mood, irritable and could snap at the drop of a hat. After that I was on Cerazette for about 8 years (had a break of about 6 months in the middle) and that was fine. Then last year when I mentioned migraines to the GP they took me straight off Cerazette and onto the mini pill instead. No real side effects other than the dirtiest spots around my chin, which are annoying but at least they can be covered up!
Cerazette is a mini pill too

I'm on Cerazette and have been for years. No issues.
I’m on that at the moment as they aren’t giving the depo injection due to covid.

I was on microgynon for years before asking to go on the depo (don’t want kids and haven’t had a period in 10 years) which is amaaazing.

I hate having to remember to take the pill everyday but my doctor said Cerazette is basically the same as the depo so it hasn’t messed me with me too much.

Has anyone come off the combined contraceptive pill recently? I stopped in Jan and had withdrawal bleed but nothing since. Pregnancy test negative and been using condoms. GP isn't bothered but I looked online and says should be back after a couple of months. Does anyone have any advice?

Have you thought about the copper coil? Dont know your situation. I had about 5/6 different pills. Made me gain weight and I was absolutely foul! Sure going back on the pill after my first contributed to post natal depression.

After my second I went on the copper coil. My period stayed regular but they was HELL. I presumed it was the coil but periods can be bad after giving birth for a few months. I was on pain killers for a week soild everytime! I'm glad I waited it out because now, 10 months in it's the best contraception I've ever been on. With the bonus of no extra hormones. People say it hurts getting it fitted but honestly I didnt feel a thing, not a scratch or a pinch.

Really interesting reading all your experiences. I was on the mini pill Cerazette for about 10 years before coming off it to have my daughter. At one point during the years they did try to switch me to Cerelle as it’s cheaper and they said was exactly the same, it definitely wasn’t! Had all sorts of side effects with it.

I’ve been back on Cerazette for 8 months or so but it’s not the same since I had a baby. When I was on it before I never got periods but this time I’ve had spotting nearly constantly and had headaches, cramps etc. So I’ve just stopped taking it the past week actually, not sure whether to try something else or not!

Has anyone come off the combined contraceptive pill recently? I stopped in Jan and had withdrawal bleed but nothing since. Pregnancy test negative and been using condoms. GP isn't bothered but I looked online and says should be back after a couple of months. Does anyone have any advice?
If I remember correctly, if your period doesn’t return after 6m go to the doctors and they can run some tests so maybe give them a call again?

I was on Yasmin for about 5 years and always had problems with low mood, nausea, no libido, dryness down there when I actually did want to have sex. It wasn’t until coming off it that I realised how significant the side effects had been!

I currently don’t use any hormonal contraception. Tried to mini pill but had constant bleeding. I use the withdrawal method which I know isn’t the most effective but I’ve got a long term partner and we’re late 20s/early 30s so if I did fall pregnant, wouldn’t be the end of the world. I don’t think I’m that fertile anyway! It works for me and I’m so happy I don’t have to suffer the side effects of the pill anymore

Reactions: 2
Really interesting reading all your experiences. I was on the mini pill Cerazette for about 10 years before coming off it to have my daughter. At one point during the years they did try to switch me to Cerelle as it’s cheaper and they said was exactly the same, it definitely wasn’t! Had all sorts of side effects with it.

I’ve been back on Cerazette for 8 months or so but it’s not the same since I had a baby. When I was on it before I never got periods but this time I’ve had spotting nearly constantly and had headaches, cramps etc. So I’ve just stopped taking it the past week actually, not sure whether to try something else or not!
When I first took Cerazette I was the same, no bleeding etc. When I was swapped to the cheaper one and then swapped back it took ages for it to settle down, was so annoyed they’d swapped me. But finally did again so maybe keep persevering or speak to your doc?

Has anyone had an experience of coming off the pill, just because they want to know themselves off it? I’ve been on the pill for about 11 years now (Rigevidon) since I was a teen and I’ve often wondered if it affected my mental / my weight etc. I went on it to control some heavy and painful periods. I have zero period pain now but every month I think about stopping it. There’s no chance of me getting pregnant as I’m not sexually active right now, would love to hear anyone’s thoughts or experiences.

They prescribe microgynon because it’s the cheapest, not because it’s what will suit you best. Never be afraid to ask to change. I used to take Cerazette and it was a battle because it cost them so much to prescribe. Kept trying to give me a different brand telling me it was the same. It really wasn’t. I ended up having to get a private prescription in the end as my GP wasn’t allowed to prescribe it due to cost.
See, and that is one of my least favourite things about the NHS, my experience with them they never had me as the patient's best interests at heart and try to cut costs any way they could, even if it meant not doing tests. I now live in North America and we have to pay for prescriptions (insurance covers most of it) so that would never happen here.

I took Cerazette before I had my kids & it stopped my periods & changed my life. Unfortunately the magic stopped after I’d had them & started retaking it. I bled constantly. I took Loestrin 30 & didn’t have a period for 6 years until it was discontinued recently 😭 I’ve tried various other pills but they make my periods so bad I’m better off not taking anything. Bring on the menopause!

I took Rigevidon from the age of 15 until this year when I stopped. Me and my boyfriend now use condoms which may seem weird to some as we’ve been together 6 years! However, my libido was so low on the pill, I found it difficult to lose weight, my skin wasn’t great, all of which have now changed since being on no contraception. We use the skyn condoms and they actually feel good!

I’ve just seen this thread - I was on microgynon from the age of about 19, and then when I was about 26 they just changed it to Rigevidon... no explanation, it’s just what appeared when I picked up my perscription. I asked the pharmacist and they said it was the same but just a cheaper version of microgynon. Anyway, I carried on with it for about another year and in that year I gained about a stone in weight (this may have been due to other factors but my weight until that point had always been very stable). I also started getting awful headaches from it.

I went back to my GP who told me I couldn’t be on the combined pill anymore and prescribed me something else I forget the name of... which just didn’t agree with me at all and I came off it after a couple of months. Then after a year of being on nothing I asked to go back on microgynon but they said that I couldn’t based on the fact I had been getting headaches ....which funnily enough only started after I was put onto rigevidon:unsure: - then they try and flog me the copper coil (Erm no thanks). So yeah I don’t bother with getting contraception through the GP anymore and I haven’t even tried in years, too much hassle and no control over what you’re given.

I was on microgynon since I was 16 until I was about 22 when I decided to try an implant for 2 years. Hated the implant as it made my boobs really sore and my periods were all over the place and had bad headaches but they wouldn’t take it out sooner ‘cos they are expensive’ 🙄 went back on microgynon and then one day it was just changed to rigevidon and was told it was the same just another branding. I’m almost 32 now and sticking with rigevidon even though I feel like it might have caused me to put on weight and struggle to lose any at all now.not sure if this is maybe age related too but I’ve always been very petite and although kept active and ate well my weight was never a concern but over the last 2/3 years it just keeps creeping up no matter what I do. I think it also gives me a low libido (and tmi sorry dryness) but I hate using condoms and not in a position where me and my partner want kids yet so feel stuck with it

I was on microgynon since I was 16 until I was about 22 when I decided to try an implant for 2 years. Hated the implant as it made my boobs really sore and my periods were all over the place and had bad headaches but they wouldn’t take it out sooner ‘cos they are expensive’ 🙄 went back on microgynon and then one day it was just changed to rigevidon and was told it was the same just another branding. I’m almost 32 now and sticking with rigevidon even though I feel like it might have caused me to put on weight and struggle to lose any at all now.not sure if this is maybe age related too but I’ve always been very petite and although kept active and ate well my weight was never a concern but over the last 2/3 years it just keeps creeping up no matter what I do. I think it also gives me a low libido (and tmi sorry dryness) but I hate using condoms and not in a position where me and my partner want kids yet so feel stuck with it
I feel unable to lose weight on Rigevidon and also agree with the low libido on it too.

I feel unable to lose weight on Rigevidon and also agree with the low libido on it too.
My doctor told me I can’t expect to be the same as I was when I was 25 😂 I mean he may be right but why not! I eat well, exercise every day, not had kids which obviously changes your body so why do I have to accept putting on weight cos I’m over 30?

Reactions: 3
My doctor told me I can’t expect to be the same as I was when I was 25 😂 I mean he may be right but why not! I eat well, exercise every day, not had kids which obviously changes your body so why do I have to accept putting on weight cos I’m over 30?
I feel you! Honestly the GP’s are so dismissive sometimes. Its nice to hear what other ladies think because my GP is useless (a woman actually).

I rather get the impression that they’re happy to dish it out but don’t care much about what it does! “It stops you getting pregnant and lessens periods, what are you girls complaining about when you get migraines/depression/weight gain?” /s

Reactions: 3
Really random but does anyone know how to bring on your period?
I’m a few days late and we are due to go to A holiday let ( with a pool) on Thursday. My periods don’t last long 3-4 days but I was hoping to be on and finished by Thursday as it’s one less thing to worry about 😭 I read to have vitamin C and pineapple but not sure if this is true or if it’s even possible but worth asking! I had a UTI yesterday (thankfully clearing up) so maybe that can make me late?