Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JodieGreen123

VIP Member
Has anyone had an experience of coming off the pill, just because they want to know themselves off it? I’ve been on the pill for about 11 years now (Rigevidon) since I was a teen and I’ve often wondered if it affected my mental / my weight etc. I went on it to control some heavy and painful periods. I have zero period pain now but every month I think about stopping it. There’s no chance of me getting pregnant as I’m not sexually active right now, would love to hear anyone’s thoughts or experiences.
Yes and I’d never go back on the pill again. The downsides of being off it for me are: painful boobs and sometimes PMS, however I feel in control of my emotions now and that massively outweighs those pros. I feel like the pill (I was on three different ones over the course of 11 years) played havoc with my hormones and as a result my emotions and mental health. I wasn’t me, but I didn’t realise quite how not me I was until I stopped taking it.

Reactions: 4

CheshireLove

VIP Member
My doctor told me I can’t expect to be the same as I was when I was 25 😂 I mean he may be right but why not! I eat well, exercise every day, not had kids which obviously changes your body so why do I have to accept putting on weight cos I’m over 30?
I feel you! Honestly the GP’s are so dismissive sometimes. Its nice to hear what other ladies think because my GP is useless (a woman actually).

I rather get the impression that they’re happy to dish it out but don’t care much about what it does! “It stops you getting pregnant and lessens periods, what are you girls complaining about when you get migraines/depression/weight gain?” /s

Reactions: 3

Chipstiz

I'm still having issues with finding a suitable contraception, been struggling with it on and off for 10 years. Reading these comments makes me so cross that the onus is almost always on women to put all this stuff in our bodies to prevent pregnancy 🙄

Boredinstagrammer29

Been on rigevidon one full year. Didn’t feel right and was rushed to a&e a couple of weeks ago. Turns out it gave me blood clots on my lung, chest and leg. (I’m not suggesting it was rigevidon specifically, but cause was Ora Combined Pill).
If you don’t feel ‘right’ go to your doctors as it’ll show up with your blood pressure and breathing

my symptoms (on and off so I didn’t associate them)
Tingling in the chest (thought I had anxiety)
Pain in my chest when jogging (boyfriend told me I wasn’t breathing correctly)
Coughing
Pain in left groin (after jogging so through I pulled something)
Pain in left lower back (Thought I’d been on sofa too much)
Funny taste in mouth
Hands would shake
Headaches
Tiredness (would have to go to seep at 8:30 after a chilled day wfh)

The morning it happened my usual lower back pain suddenly went to my leg, it swelled up, went red and eventually I couldn’t move my body. I couldn’t breath, but we thought I was having a panic attack.

i just want you to be aware ... we often think it’ll never be us when doc/nurse tells us the risks. I’m on blood thinners for 6 months and can’t be on any hormonal contraception ever again (confirms or coil) ... if/when I get pregnant I’ll have to have blood thinners injected through out

I don’t want to scare you but I’d also want women to know the risks x

fishsticks

I had the worst side effects with Microgynon. It turned me into an absolute psycho!! PMS was awful, mood swings were awful, I'm surprised my boyfriend (now husband) stuck by me I was that awful at times and sometimes I didn't even realise how horrible I had been!!! My doctor told me I was having psychotic episodes and it couldn't possibly be the pill... I got referred to a psychologist, etc. who told me I had depressive tendencies, but I wasn't psychotic. She also said that it was possibly the pill, so I decided to just come off it all together and see what happened. I returned to my normal self within a month or so. My depression disappeared and I was my happy self again. It was like the fog lifted. The doctor still claims that it was nothing to do with the pill and me session with the psychologist helped... He is no longer my GP.

I knew there were different types of the pill so it didn't put me off trying a new one bcus lets face it... if you're in a long-term relationship condoms are most definitely a faff. Cerazette turned my back into a map of every single mountain and hill on Earth and my skin was a frying pan. Got put onto Norgeston which I LOVED. I lost a shit load of weight too and I didn't change my eating, etc. Was on that for two years and then got told they no longer manufacture it....... handy. Now I'm on Noriday which I believe is similar to Norgeston. Only thing is I've definitely put on some weight with this pill (and no, my diet hasn't changed), but that's the only side effect so far!

I feel unable to lose weight on Rigevidon and also agree with the low libido on it too.
My doctor told me I can’t expect to be the same as I was when I was 25 😂 I mean he may be right but why not! I eat well, exercise every day, not had kids which obviously changes your body so why do I have to accept putting on weight cos I’m over 30?

CheshireLove

VIP Member
Has anyone had an experience of coming off the pill, just because they want to know themselves off it? I’ve been on the pill for about 11 years now (Rigevidon) since I was a teen and I’ve often wondered if it affected my mental / my weight etc. I went on it to control some heavy and painful periods. I have zero period pain now but every month I think about stopping it. There’s no chance of me getting pregnant as I’m not sexually active right now, would love to hear anyone’s thoughts or experiences.

Reactions: 2

Melian

VIP Member
I’ve been on the pill cerelle for about 3 years now, apart from the odd missed period ( down to stress) I’ve pretty much been ok. However I started my last period the 30 th of march all fine, lasted about 5/6 days. Then on the 17th of April I started bleeding again, I was abit concerned because I’d obviously only had a period two weeks before that, it started to gradually get lighter after a few days like it was going but then got worse again, everytime i wipe there is blood not loads to the point I need proper pads on but I am having to wear daily liners. I’m currently away so can’t get to the doctors but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it potentially could be?
My periods were all over the place when I was on Cerelle. Had to come off it in the end as I'd ended up with a 3 week period which was quite heavy.

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
I posted on here how I was suffering with chronic back ache after giving birth and going back on rigevidon. I decided to come off the pill last month and I’ve not had any back ache whatsoever with my period this month. Not sure if just a coincidence but I’m hoping it continues!

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I've been on both microgynon and rigevidon in the past . I got told rigevidon is a cheaper version of the same thing. I didn't notice any difference.

Mercedes12

VIP Member
Has anyone come off the combined contraceptive pill recently? I stopped in Jan and had withdrawal bleed but nothing since. Pregnancy test negative and been using condoms. GP isn't bothered but I looked online and says should be back after a couple of months. Does anyone have any advice?
If I remember correctly, if your period doesn’t return after 6m go to the doctors and they can run some tests so maybe give them a call again?

I was on Yasmin for about 5 years and always had problems with low mood, nausea, no libido, dryness down there when I actually did want to have sex. It wasn’t until coming off it that I realised how significant the side effects had been!

I currently don’t use any hormonal contraception. Tried to mini pill but had constant bleeding. I use the withdrawal method which I know isn’t the most effective but I’ve got a long term partner and we’re late 20s/early 30s so if I did fall pregnant, wouldn’t be the end of the world. I don’t think I’m that fertile anyway! It works for me and I’m so happy I don’t have to suffer the side effects of the pill anymore

openbook1

VIP Member
They prescribe microgynon because it’s the cheapest, not because it’s what will suit you best. Never be afraid to ask to change. I used to take Cerazette and it was a battle because it cost them so much to prescribe. Kept trying to give me a different brand telling me it was the same. It really wasn’t. I ended up having to get a private prescription in the end as my GP wasn’t allowed to prescribe it due to cost.
See, and that is one of my least favourite things about the NHS, my experience with them they never had me as the patient's best interests at heart and try to cut costs any way they could, even if it meant not doing tests. I now live in North America and we have to pay for prescriptions (insurance covers most of it) so that would never happen here.

LLJ

I took Rigevidon from the age of 15 until this year when I stopped. Me and my boyfriend now use condoms which may seem weird to some as we’ve been together 6 years! However, my libido was so low on the pill, I found it difficult to lose weight, my skin wasn’t great, all of which have now changed since being on no contraception. We use the skyn condoms and they actually feel good!

Reactions: 1

Maxine1974

Me too. I was really nervous having been on the yasmin pill for 10+ years but it’s been amazing. No side effects, no bleeding, and my mood feels a little better too. Just a bit uncomfortable being fitted but it only takes a few minutes
I have the mirena coil which is just for 5 years. The best thing I ever did. I've had no side effects

cosmo girl

VIP Member
Move to a coil if you can and it suits your needs.
Now lasts up to 20 years. And never have it removed when you get to menopause! You will just glide straight through it
I have the mirena coil which is just for 5 years. The best thing I ever did. I've had no side effects

JSquared

VIP Member
Is anyone else on Yasmin? How do you guys find it? 🙃
I was on this a few years ago to stop spots, but found it weaker than microgynon and kept spotting. Wasn’t for me but I know someone who swears by it. All depends on your body and how it reacts to it. If you find one right for you, stick to it - my doctor tried to change mine a few times but I stuck to microgynon/leveste (same ingredients, different name).

Kittylover2019

Chatty Member
I’ve been on the pill cerelle for about 3 years now, apart from the odd missed period ( down to stress) I’ve pretty much been ok. However I started my last period the 30 th of march all fine, lasted about 5/6 days. Then on the 17th of April I started bleeding again, I was abit concerned because I’d obviously only had a period two weeks before that, it started to gradually get lighter after a few days like it was going but then got worse again, everytime i wipe there is blood not loads to the point I need proper pads on but I am having to wear daily liners. I’m currently away so can’t get to the doctors but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it potentially could be?
I has this once and it was a grazed cervix... must have been a bit vigorous one time then it kept getting aggravated so wouldn't heal 😂

To be honest it could be lots of things, mostly innocent, I wouldn't worry too much and get checked out when you can.

• Heart

VomitCulture

Hi all,

I’ve been on the pill for 12 years. Most of it I was on microgynon but 2 years ago I switched to Rigevidon. I’m curious to see what others think of it? Since being on it I find it very hard to lose weight, I’ve definitely had more “blue” episodes and I’m convinced it’s played havoc with my libido. I want to go see my doctor as soon as we’re able to. Always been so shy about it, whenever I’ve had my checkups I say “yeah I’m fine” and no one pushes it.

has anyone else had the same? If so, did you change to a different pill and which ones?
I was on the implant for 9 years since I was 16 & decided to have a break from it in the hopes that my weight, libido & mood would change. Turns out without it if still fat & depressed with no sex drive :LOL:

Honestly though I think it's good to take a break for 6-12 months just to see what your body is like especially if you've been on it from such a young age. If you're not sexually active right now & don't feel like you will be for a while what harm can it do?

Since I feel no different I might go back to the implant although i'm tempted to go for the coil/IUD but i'm terrified of bad side effects!

Really random but does anyone know how to bring on your period?
I’m a few days late and we are due to go to A holiday let ( with a pool) on Thursday. My periods don’t last long 3-4 days but I was hoping to be on and finished by Thursday as it’s one less thing to worry about 😭 I read to have vitamin C and pineapple but not sure if this is true or if it’s even possible but worth asking! I had a UTI yesterday (thankfully clearing up) so maybe that can make me late?
You can get pill from the GP/pharmacist to stop your period if it starts whilst you're on holiday.

JSquared

VIP Member
Yeah I’m going to just still hard to get an appointment at the minute.
They should do phone appointments - that’s a good start to discuss at least. If they think you need a face to face appointment, they should book one 🙂

• Heart