Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JSquared

VIP Member
Yeah I’m going to just still hard to get an appointment at the minute.
They should do phone appointments - that’s a good start to discuss at least. If they think you need a face to face appointment, they should book one 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Titntat

VIP Member
Honestly, having a coil fitted does not hurt.
I dont know where that comes from. I was bricking my self and didn't feel a thing. Maybe tmi but I'd just come off my period so the nurse said your cervix is alot softer so easier to fit.

WilmaHun

VIP Member
I was on Rigevidon for years with no issues at all, other than terrible moodswings but like any medication, I guess people react differently. I'm really sorry to hear your niece is going through this though! I hope she recovers soon x

Fairypop

VIP Member
I was on Microgynon for about 6 years (only having a break to have my daughter). After that, I got put on Rigevidon as well, I didn’t get on with it either. There were no terrible side effects but it just didn’t seem quite right for me. I spoke to my nurse about it & she put me back on Microgynon, so it is still available despite what they might tell you. I never had any trouble getting it from my local pharmacies!

Since having my second baby though, I’ve ditched the pill altogether & have the depo injection. I honestly couldn’t recommend it enough!

Minipizza

VIP Member
I’ve been on the pill cerelle for about 3 years now, apart from the odd missed period ( down to stress) I’ve pretty much been ok. However I started my last period the 30 th of march all fine, lasted about 5/6 days. Then on the 17th of April I started bleeding again, I was abit concerned because I’d obviously only had a period two weeks before that, it started to gradually get lighter after a few days like it was going but then got worse again, everytime i wipe there is blood not loads to the point I need proper pads on but I am having to wear daily liners. I’m currently away so can’t get to the doctors but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it potentially could be?

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
I dont know where that comes from. I was bricking my self and didn't feel a thing. Maybe tmi but I'd just come off my period so the nurse said your cervix is alot softer so easier to fit.
The two girls I know who had it said it only hurt a bit to get put in but they both had horrendous cramps and issues with it afterwards. The thought of a poky piece of plastic or metal being stuck in my uterus makes me feel a bit sick. I know everyone is different and has different pain tolerances though so probably just varies. It’s not something I’d personally ever bother with.

TheScarletgirl

VIP Member
Has anyone had any serious complication whilst taking Rigevidon?

My neice (16) went for an eye test a couple of weeks ago, she had been having migraines which were making her vomit and vision issues. The optician sent her for an urgent review at our local hospital as they could see her optic nerves were swollen.

The appointment came through this week and they discovered a build up of pressure in her brain. After a CT scan and a lumber puncture to drain fluid and release the pressure they have diagnosed IIH - Idiopathic intracranial hypertension. This is where fluid builds up around the brain it causes swelling of the optic nerve and can cause you to go blind as well as other serious issues ie death. It can be caused by the combined pill.

Fortunately they won't have to operate at this moment but she has been sent home now with medication and is awaiting an appointment with a Neurologist.

After reading up and googling (as you do) I am absolutely shocked to find similar stories or worse about this brand of pill and some are wanting it banned altogether.

She was prescribed it for heavy prolonged periods around 9 months ago.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

I have been on it since 2018 and have had no issues so far. I had a lot of issue with yasmin though .

TruffleTrifle

Thank you all for your responses. I’ve thought of getting a coil but so squeamish about it hurting. Tbh I’d love to just go 6 months without any form of contraception that *I* have to be responsible for, condoms just put me off and obviously still prone to failure. Just holding on til we’re old enough that my fella can have the snip. 😂

CheshireLove

VIP Member
Really random but does anyone know how to bring on your period?
I’m a few days late and we are due to go to A holiday let ( with a pool) on Thursday. My periods don’t last long 3-4 days but I was hoping to be on and finished by Thursday as it’s one less thing to worry about 😭 I read to have vitamin C and pineapple but not sure if this is true or if it’s even possible but worth asking! I had a UTI yesterday (thankfully clearing up) so maybe that can make me late?
Is this a joke question?

No, of course not. Pineapple? What a load of rubbish.

Perhaps a pregnancy test?

They prescribe microgynon because it’s the cheapest, not because it’s what will suit you best. Never be afraid to ask to change. I used to take Cerazette and it was a battle because it cost them so much to prescribe. Kept trying to give me a different brand telling me it was the same. It really wasn’t. I ended up having to get a private prescription in the end as my GP wasn’t allowed to prescribe it due to cost.

footylass2021

Has anyone had any serious complication whilst taking Rigevidon?

My neice (16) went for an eye test a couple of weeks ago, she had been having migraines which were making her vomit and vision issues. The optician sent her for an urgent review at our local hospital as they could see her optic nerves were swollen.

The appointment came through this week and they discovered a build up of pressure in her brain. After a CT scan and a lumber puncture to drain fluid and release the pressure they have diagnosed IIH - Idiopathic intracranial hypertension. This is where fluid builds up around the brain it causes swelling of the optic nerve and can cause you to go blind as well as other serious issues ie death. It can be caused by the combined pill.

Fortunately they won't have to operate at this moment but she has been sent home now with medication and is awaiting an appointment with a Neurologist.

After reading up and googling (as you do) I am absolutely shocked to find similar stories or worse about this brand of pill and some are wanting it banned altogether.

She was prescribed it for heavy prolonged periods around 9 months ago.

Anyone had any similar experiences?
Been on it for about 4 years now , no issues whatsoever
Hope you get sorted

Fairypop

VIP Member
Thank you both for your advice! I genuinely thought microgynon had been taken off the market as I didn’t ask to be changed I just got my prescription one year and there it was with the new one. I’m glad you both say it’s available and you were able to go back on it.
My current dr surgery is really good so hopefully they’ll have no issue with it.
I always thought the same! It was only when I went for a pill check & asked if I could possibly try a different pill, the nurse told me I could go back to Microgynon if I wanted to. I’m not sure if some surgeries are more reluctant to prescribe it but if it’s available then I don’t really see why not. It’s definitely worth asking anyway!

CheshireLove

VIP Member
I was on microgynon since I was 16 until I was about 22 when I decided to try an implant for 2 years. Hated the implant as it made my boobs really sore and my periods were all over the place and had bad headaches but they wouldn’t take it out sooner ‘cos they are expensive’ 🙄 went back on microgynon and then one day it was just changed to rigevidon and was told it was the same just another branding. I’m almost 32 now and sticking with rigevidon even though I feel like it might have caused me to put on weight and struggle to lose any at all now.not sure if this is maybe age related too but I’ve always been very petite and although kept active and ate well my weight was never a concern but over the last 2/3 years it just keeps creeping up no matter what I do. I think it also gives me a low libido (and tmi sorry dryness) but I hate using condoms and not in a position where me and my partner want kids yet so feel stuck with it
I feel unable to lose weight on Rigevidon and also agree with the low libido on it too.

KerChing

Chatty Member
Really interesting reading all your experiences. I was on the mini pill Cerazette for about 10 years before coming off it to have my daughter. At one point during the years they did try to switch me to Cerelle as it’s cheaper and they said was exactly the same, it definitely wasn’t! Had all sorts of side effects with it.

I’ve been back on Cerazette for 8 months or so but it’s not the same since I had a baby. When I was on it before I never got periods but this time I’ve had spotting nearly constantly and had headaches, cramps etc. So I’ve just stopped taking it the past week actually, not sure whether to try something else or not!
I took Cerazette before I had my kids & it stopped my periods & changed my life. Unfortunately the magic stopped after I’d had them & started retaking it. I bled constantly. I took Loestrin 30 & didn’t have a period for 6 years until it was discontinued recently 😭 I’ve tried various other pills but they make my periods so bad I’m better off not taking anything. Bring on the menopause!

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
I’ve just seen this thread - I was on microgynon from the age of about 19, and then when I was about 26 they just changed it to Rigevidon... no explanation, it’s just what appeared when I picked up my perscription. I asked the pharmacist and they said it was the same but just a cheaper version of microgynon. Anyway, I carried on with it for about another year and in that year I gained about a stone in weight (this may have been due to other factors but my weight until that point had always been very stable). I also started getting awful headaches from it.

I went back to my GP who told me I couldn’t be on the combined pill anymore and prescribed me something else I forget the name of... which just didn’t agree with me at all and I came off it after a couple of months. Then after a year of being on nothing I asked to go back on microgynon but they said that I couldn’t based on the fact I had been getting headaches ....which funnily enough only started after I was put onto rigevidon:unsure: - then they try and flog me the copper coil (Erm no thanks). So yeah I don’t bother with getting contraception through the GP anymore and I haven’t even tried in years, too much hassle and no control over what you’re given.

101d

VIP Member
They prescribe microgynon because it’s the cheapest, not because it’s what will suit you best. Never be afraid to ask to change. I used to take Cerazette and it was a battle because it cost them so much to prescribe. Kept trying to give me a different brand telling me it was the same. It really wasn’t. I ended up having to get a private prescription in the end as my GP wasn’t allowed to prescribe it due to cost.
I used to be on Microgynon and switched to Cerazette because I had high blood pressure. Now my blood pressure is fine they are PUSHING me to go back to Microgynon. No thanks!

Really interesting reading all your experiences. I was on the mini pill Cerazette for about 10 years before coming off it to have my daughter. At one point during the years they did try to switch me to Cerelle as it’s cheaper and they said was exactly the same, it definitely wasn’t! Had all sorts of side effects with it.

I’ve been back on Cerazette for 8 months or so but it’s not the same since I had a baby. When I was on it before I never got periods but this time I’ve had spotting nearly constantly and had headaches, cramps etc. So I’ve just stopped taking it the past week actually, not sure whether to try something else or not!
When I first took Cerazette I was the same, no bleeding etc. When I was swapped to the cheaper one and then swapped back it took ages for it to settle down, was so annoyed they’d swapped me. But finally did again so maybe keep persevering or speak to your doc?

Lollypad

VIP Member
Is this a joke question?

No, of course not. Pineapple? What a load of rubbish.

Perhaps a pregnancy test?
I did think that - always used to work for me because I was usually late because I was stressing I might be pregnant :ROFLMAO: OP, can you get a pill from the GP to delay it over your holiday?