Constance Marten case - missing mum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think how emotionally taxing this would have been on her, he wouldn't have felt the same emotions, the only thing he'd have been worried about was losing his control over her.
Thats my reading of this situation anyway, especially since his past has emerged. Men like this have a type. Vulnerable and open to coercion.
I think the authorities know this but because she hasn't accepted help and support to remove him from her life, she's seen as problematic too and she is problematic because she's missing with a newborn with a man who has a history of violence.
But is she afraid and is she in control?
If she really wanted to get away she could.

Sounds like he makes the women in his life feel protective of him.
Sounds like his mother was like that and now he chooses a similar type.

Of course they are married. 😔 Christ.
How do you know this, not that it matters. They are not being called Mr and Mrs Gordon.

Reactions: 1
This is my take too. Assuming this is one of those cases where a mother is told she needs to choose between her relationship or her children.

Alternatively, they could both be negligent, unfit parents who lost custody of their other children because they couldn’t keep them safe.

Reactions: 6
This is my take too. Assuming this is one of those cases where a mother is told she needs to choose between her relationship or her children.

Alternatively, they could both be negligent, unfit parents who lost custody of their other children because they couldn’t keep them safe.
I think she could well still be besotted with him, she’s had enough time for the scales to fall from her eyes and think ‘hell, maybe not’.
Has there been official verification of other children (not fb)? I suppose there might be no mention to protect their identities?

Reactions: 2
Depending on the relationship - and I’m not saying that theirs is this as obviously I don’t know - if you’ve been under emotional abuse and coercive control for some time you don’t realise that you need to leave, let alone want to. You don’t have your own wants any more. Only those of the controlling party.

You don’t think about leaving because it’s simply not a possibility as you know it, but more than that you’re convinced (because you’ve been convinced, over time, very very well) that you can’t possibly manage on your own / you would be completely alienated by your family and friends and then no longer have the only person you currently have / you would be responsible for the person you love and who (you think) loves you being alone and - often - you’re told they wouldn’t be able to go on without you so they may end their life if you leave them.

Sometimes with a child involved they threaten that you’ll never leave with their baby, or that if you do they will find you and take the child back and you’ll never see them again.

It’s rarely as simple as if she really wanted to get away she could.

As I say, I have no idea about their relationship. Just my thoughts on one type of relationship.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Depending on the relationship - and I’m not saying that theirs is this as obviously I don’t know - if you’ve been under emotional abuse and coercive control for some time you don’t realise that you need to leave, let alone want to. You don’t have your own wants any more. Only those of the controlling party.

You don’t think about leaving because it’s simply not a possibility as you know it, but more than that you’re convinced (because you’ve been convinced, over time, very very well) that you can’t possibly manage on your own / you would be completely alienated by your family and friends and then no longer have the only person you currently have / you would be responsible for the person you love and who (you think) loves you being alone and - often - you’re told they wouldn’t be able to go on without you so they may end their life if you leave them.

Sometimes with a child involved they threaten that you’ll never leave with their baby, or that if you do they will find you and take the child back and you’ll never see them again.

It’s rarely as simple as if she really wanted to get away she could.

As I say, I have no idea about their relationship. Just my thoughts on one type of relationship.
Yes, I get that, but it’s not like she’s locked in a flat, they’re out and about so, if she wanted to (or was psychologically able to), she could give him the slip.
She has access to her family’s money and, ok estranged, friends who would have more means than most to help her.
She may have MH problems that we don’t know about too I suppose.

Reactions: 5
I’m surprised she hasn’t put a statement out via one of the women’s coalition who help mothers fleeing SS when they know their newborn will be taken. They are sometimes encouraged to give a statement to say all is well but they will remain on the run because they can’t give up their children. So maybe she’s just completely alone in this which is even more scary for the baby. They’re just making things so much worse for themselves. They look badly guilty to continue running like this & the sad thing is, maybe they truly haven’t done anything wrong. To play devils advocate; maybe they made mistakes with their previous children & are trying to change but know they won’t be given a chance so think let’s just run forever. Although I know this is likely to be a far fetched fairytale at this point because with her family resources, I’m pretty sure they’d get a brilliant legal team & never lose any kids (we know how money talks!) so weighing it all up, they’re just dangerous & need to give the baby up for safety reasons!

Reactions: 14
My best friend was in an abusive relationship and even when he used to barricade the bedroom door in at night time, to stop her going to the toilet incase she was cheating???!! In there 🤦🏽‍♀️. And make her piss in cups or bags or whatever. She still couldn’t understand why she should leave him. She thought he was “protecting” her because he loved her.
It wasn’t until her son was literally hours away from death a few years down the line and he wouldn’t ring for an ambulance, incase she fancied the paramedic that she finally woke up. 10 years he controlled her for. Now she’s fine I’ve got my friend back and she’s found some common sense and made so much progress. But back then when she met this hole. She turned overnight into his shadow. It was like she had, had a whole personality transplant. It was awful.
Really hope they find this lady and her baby and they are okay, I don’t think people realise sometimes how gripping it is being in a DV relationship. You lose so much of yourself, you think all you have left is the partner because every one else is gone, but you can’t see why they’ve gone 😞

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
Probably treading a fine line in appealing to her and not sending him over the edge.
This all hinges on whether or not SS knew she was pregnant and if a pre birth protection conference had been held, if so its not good. If its true that other children have been removed from the home I assume there would have been..

Reactions: 8
My best friend was in an abusive relationship and even when he used to barricade the bedroom door in at night time, to stop her going to the toilet incase she was cheating???!! In there 🤦🏽‍♀️. And make her piss in cups or bags or whatever. She still couldn’t understand why she should leave him. She thought he was “protecting” her because he loved her.
It wasn’t until her son was literally hours away from death a few years down the line and he wouldn’t ring for an ambulance, incase she fancied the paramedic that she finally woke up. 10 years he controlled her for. Now she’s fine I’ve got my friend back and she’s found some common sense and made so much progress. But back then when she met this hole. She turned overnight into his shadow. It was like she had, had a whole personality transplant. It was awful.
Really hope they find this lady and her baby and they are okay, I don’t think people realise sometimes how gripping it is being in a DV relationship. You lose so much of yourself, you think all you have left is the partner because every one else is gone, but you can’t see why they’ve gone 😞
So glad your friend has escaped this terrible relationship.
She did eventually have a trigger though, her child. C, apparently has other children who have been taken away and now this. Giving birth in the back of a car without medical help. It’s beyond desperate.
There must be some real concerns for the authorities to be prompted to embark on a nationwide search for them.

Reactions: 7
I'm sicked beyond belief to see so many online defending Gordon. Not here but certainly elsewhere, especially the Daily Mail comments. I never expect much from there but Jesus Christ. Lots of people saying "leave him alone!" and that he's "done his time" on social media too. A few predictably are playing the race card over the fact that the media dare report on him at all even though they took several days before revealing anything about the bloke despite what he did.

Stuff like this makes me feel collective humanity is truly lost.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
I'm sicked beyond belief to see so many online defending Gordon. Not here but certainly elsewhere, especially the Daily Mail comments. I never expect much from there but Jesus Christ. Lots of people saying "leave him alone!" and that he's "done his time" on social media too. A few predictably are playing the race card over the fact that the media dare report on him at all even though they took several days before revealing anything about the bloke despite what he did.

Stuff like this makes me feel collective humanity is truly lost.
I'm surprised people are defending him, normally when someone is revealed as a sex offender people talk about them like scum of the earth (which they are). Also, people like him don't change.

I'm surprised people are defending him, normally when someone is revealed as a sex offender people talk about them like scum of the earth (which they are). Also, people like him don't change.
Yes at first I reserved judgement, because back then america was worse than now, and I watched a Netflix show where 14 year old black boys were wrongly accused and imprisoned for a rape, until further details came out and I read about his crimes 🤢 I don’t see how anyone can defend or justify what he did.

Reactions: 11
Probably the same people who have had experience with social services and think they take children away for no reason. Some of them will defend anyone in order to make out that social services are in the wrong rather than admit that they were not good parents.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
It's the brutality of the crime that has me so shocked people want to fight in his corner. What he did sounds horrendous and I don't care how young he was. That he's chosen to go on the run rather than follow any rules potentially put in place is telling that he is not someone to trust or feel sorry for.

Probably the same people who have had experience with social services and think they take children away for no reason. Some of them will defend anyone in order to make out that social services are in the wrong rather than admit that they were not good parents.
There is so much SS are evil bogeymen in the commentary surrounding this case and while I certainly have no love for them, I can also see that they have for decades been severely underfunded and understaffed and that they often can't win no matter what they do. People are being so irrational over this case they seem to forget there is an innocent baby who might be harmed, even if the parents are not intending the harm. It's blowing my mind.

Reactions: 18
He wouldn't have come out of prison a reformed character either, not after 20 years.
Would love to know her background, clearly well educated and social, something went badly wrong.

Reactions: 11
Yes at first I reserved judgement, because back then america was worse than now, and I watched a Netflix show where 14 year old black boys were wrongly accused and imprisoned for a rape, until further details came out and I read about his crimes 🤢 I don’t see how anyone can defend or justify what he did.
It’s indefensible, it’s not ‘just’ rape, it’s aggregated rape and kidnapping, by a 14 year old. God knows what 20 years in the American penal system has done to him also.
Maybe he can be/has been rehabilitated but the fact there is this latest escapade doesn’t seem to support that. The response, from authorities, that’s happening now is not because of what he done decades ago, there have to be more recent issues.
I can not understand the response from some of the public, crazy.

Last edited:
He wouldn't have come out of prison a reformed character either, not after 20 years.
Would love to know her background, clearly well educated and social, something went badly wrong.
I suspect mental illness runs in her family, upon reading about her father. Maybe that also explains SS presence in her life, if it is them behind this investigation?

Reactions: 8
I'm beginning to think the big police involvement is because SS may have dropped the ball. They must have known she was expecting, the car was completely burnt out the pics released don't show a baby.

Reactions: 7
Maybe its just me not seen anything , but has it gone a bit quiet in the press, no more sightings?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.