Constance Marten and Mark Gordon #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm also thinking it's quite plausible a juror could have been 3 or so months pregnant at the start or the trial and is now nearing or at their due date. Even possibly less that that and didn't know, could have had the baby early. There's a whole host of reasons some we couldn't even consider as to why jurors may become unavailable with a trail of this length especially with it having run over by so much. Hopefully not too much longer and we will have some answers, the right ones at that.

Reactions: 10
I'm also thinking it's quite plausible a juror could have been 3 or so months pregnant at the start or the trial and is now nearing or at their due date. Even possibly less that that and didn't know, could have had the baby early. There's a whole host of reasons some we couldn't even consider as to why jurors may become unavailable with a trail of this length especially with it having run over by so much. Hopefully not too much longer and we will have some answers, the right ones at that.
Imagine sitting through this trial while pregnant 💔

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Why don’t they have a couple of “reserve” jurors for when things like this happen, who can step in for emergencies?

Reactions: 2
Why don’t they have a couple of “reserve” jurors for when things like this happen, who can step in for emergencies?
Apparently it’s to do with the fact that the reserve jurors would still have to listen to the whole trial and if they don’t get called, then you have the whole “would the outcome have been different if they had been called up argument”.

I know they do it in other countries. In the US for example they will ask the reserve jurors what their decision would have been and obviously this raises doubts if they answer differently to what the actual outcome was.

Reactions: 7
I think it's at their discretion, but most employers pay people as normal. At least that's what has happened when colleagues have done jury service at a couple of places I've worked. Even when someone was on a fraud trial that lasted a few months.

Not all do this though - when I was called for jury service my ex-employer told me I'd have to show them how much of the daily allowance I'd claimed and they'd deduct it from my wages. Luckily it was cancelled, as I was dreading having to figure it all out.
When I did jury service my boss refused me to pay me but the court will match your wages I believe , but you have to wait until it’s completed and if your boss do not pay then you need to find money for your bills before you get paid. This was the case for me. Also they pay a little money for food and travel. My old boss was a dragon! Most would pay to not leave you out of pocket

Reactions: 13
When I did jury service my boss refused me to pay me but the court will match your wages I believe , but you have to wait until it’s completed and if your boss do not pay then you need to find money for your bills before you get paid. This was the case for me. Also they pay a little money for food and travel. My old boss was a dragon! Most would pay to not leave you out of pocket
You can only claim up to about £65 a day for the first two weeks plus food/drink of about £5. Then it goes up to £130 a day plus the £5 for food. I did jury service 11 years ago and I'm sure it hasn't gone up much since then. My employer paid me as usual less the court allowances so I didn't lose out but I work for a local authority.

If they get a guilty verdict for all charges I wonder if they will appeal based on the jury being in and out like the hokey cokey. I've never known a trial like it for running so much over and such disrupted deliberations.

Reactions: 9
It would be interesting to know if there is any precedent for appeals being submitted in respect of legalities around a trial being disrupted etc.

Presumably if such an appeal was allowed and succeeded, there would then need to be a re-trial so it would be back to square one? Can anyone confirm?

Reactions: 3
I got called as a witness in a murder trial at the Old Bailey years back, I was struggling on a low wage at the time then and my boss refused to pay me and was awful about me needing the time off! A week spent sitting around in the bowels of the courtrooms due to various delays and what not and I had to claim back the £65 a day but it took AGES, I had to borrow money from family to make my rent.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
BIB: apart from very serious things (illness, unexpected bereavement, v important hospital appointment) they don’t have to accommodate that in the actual scheduled trial - that’s why they select jurors based on who’s available etc for that period.

The issue is when it runs over - they can’t dictate to the jurors what they do and don’t book outwith the stated trial period and when it’s as long as this one they can’t really afford to be arsey about it and risk jurors withdrawing rather than cancel their holiday etc. Especially once it’s two+ months outside the trial schedule, if you thought something was finishing in March it’s not unreasonable to have assumed you could book a holiday for the late May half term or in June and you may well have been selected when it was already booked and they just didn’t ask/thought the trial would be over now.
I agree. The courts really need to get better at estimating the length of trials. It's not as though this is a completely new thing, we've had criminal trials for hundreds of years!

Reactions: 10
I agree. The courts really need to get better at estimating the length of trials. It's not as though this is a completely new thing, we've had criminal trials for hundreds of years!
I think for something as important and likely to be complicated as this they should have waited to schedule when the judge was only working on this.

You didn’t have LL’s judge off to sentence other cases etc so it clearly can be done - better to wait longer for the trial but actually get it done in a realistic time with less risk of collapse surely?

Especially as they basically knew with these two some verdicts would be a certain guilty (eg the ones the judge has directed the jury on because everyone knows Victoria existed and the birth was concealed) so it’s not even a particular “they might get off completely and sue for the time they were remanded” risk - which realistically LL was.

Reactions: 5

2pm tomorrow it seems...Believe it when it happens..It's half term.

• Wow
Reactions: 13

2pm tomorrow it seems...Believe it when it happens..It's half term.
Trying to think of a reason why they would be told to come back on Thursday and then randomly be back in a day early. Maybe one of the jurors had something booked and it was cancelled?

Reactions: 8
Can anyone see court rolls, are they back this afternoon?
Maybe it’s more legal arguements rather than the jury though, or something to do with last week potential verdicts ?
let’s hope this week it’s finally done

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.