Collin the Caterpillar Vs Cuthbert the Caterpillar - M&S Vs Aldi Caterpillar Cakes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why are they so out of touch though? Do they employ unimaginative social media people or is that team being kept on a tight leash. I think the word I'm looking for is naff. Sometimes the least said is easiest mended and it might be true in this case as Aldi have somewhat run away with themselves here.
Unrelated but do Aldi have a queue on Christmas eve from 8am, cos marksies do.

They'd need to improve the quality of their food first for that to ever happen.

Reactions: 2
I keep seeing memes about this, I'm not in the UK I have no idea what's going on...anyone want to elaborate....
TL;DR -
Marks and Spencer sells a popular caterpillar-shaped cake called "Colin" which is commonly bought for birthdays, etc.
All the other supermarkets in the UK sell their own version.
M&S decided to sue Aldi over its knock-off "Cuthbert Caterpillar", which pretty much looks exactly the same as theirs (all the others have some kind of variation)
People debated over which is better, memes etc.
Aldi's PR team proved themselves far superior and now seem to have won the battle by asking that M&S, and all other supermarkets that sell the cake, join them in donating the proceeds to charity. M&S will look very bad if they say no, especially since their brand has taken a huge hit in recent years
But this doesn't change the fact that involving charity is pretty cynical / morally dubious on Aldi's part. Also, Colin is generally agreed to taste better

• Heart
Reactions: 6
One step away from making culbert gender neutral so as not to offend by the looks of that charity tweet.
Aldiwoke

Reactions: 5
They'd need to improve the quality of their food first for that to ever happen.
I can't comment on Aldis food, never had it. But I've never not enjoyed M&S produce, its top notch and quality is excellent, expensive yes, but maybe the other supermarkets would be too if they had the same quality.

Reactions: 1
Why are they so out of touch though?
Old school way of thinking is my guess. They research and test things a lot before as @Bellaboo83 put quite well and would rather say nothing than offend anyone.

It's been an hour and none of the tagged supermarkets have replied yet. It is funny thinking that they'll all in their HQs discussing what to do 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 8
TL;DR -
Marks and Spencer sells a popular caterpillar-shaped cake called "Colin" which is commonly bought for birthdays, etc.
All the other supermarkets in the UK sell their own version.
M&S decided to sue Aldi over its knock-off "Cuthbert Caterpillar", which pretty much looks exactly the same as theirs (all the others have some kind of variation)
People debated over which is better, memes etc.
Aldi's PR team proved themselves far superior and now seem to have won the battle by asking that M&S, and all other supermarkets that sell the cake, join them in donating the proceeds to charity. M&S will look very bad if they say no, especially since their brand has taken a huge hit in recent years
But this doesn't change the fact that involving charity is pretty cynical / morally dubious on Aldi's part. Also, Colin is generally agreed to taste better
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!
Last year tiger king this year Colin 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Old school way of thinking is my guess. They research and test things a lot before as @Bellaboo83 put quite well and would rather say nothing than offend anyone.

It's been an hour and none of the tagged supermarkets have replied yet. It is funny thinking that they'll all in their HQs discussing what to do 😆
thing is they’re trying to sidestep a legal issue with this woke as duck move, you can make fun of the situation but you need to let it play out,
This just reeks of “yeah ok I stole a million from an 83 year old pensioner BUT CAN WE NOT ALL PUT IT BEHIND US AND THINK OF ALL THE OTHER PENSIONERS WE CAN SUPPORT IF WE COME TOGETHER....”

bull tit, duck off trying to play the victim who are now rising above it all for the sake of charity. At the heart of this they did duck legally (still to be decided but whatever)

Reactions: 10
Is #caterpillarsforcancer trending yet?

Literally a gun pointing at M&S head.

Reactions: 3

I was just thinking the silence must be rather awkward for Aldi atm...

Why are they out of touch?...IMHO like many big and long standing uk companies, the top 7 layers of management could be bought from a '1990's London senior management identikit model shop' with a 20% discount if they come dressed in a blue pin stripe suit. The whole business is micromanaged by those top layers, and the bottom (where all the 'in touch' people usually are) has no imput and just has to follow what the out of touch identikit guys decide.

All this is making me want to do is eat a chocolate caterpillar and I really couldn't care which shop it's from

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Aah Aldi posted a get out of jail free card yesterday. A literal one not just a support charity like the good guys one.

All this is making me want to do is eat a chocolate caterpillar and I really couldn't care which shop it's from
Same but ain't no way I'm buying one with a fondant face, so that's half of them ruled out🤢

NINTCHDBPICT000647744347.jpg

• Haha
I think it's a really good response! I wonder what Aldi will do next....

Reactions: 6
Good. Perfectly put. Well done m&s.

(now start using less plastic so I can enjoy the salad pots without eco guilt.)

Reactions: 12
I see the twitter echo chamber are calling that a vile classless response from M&S. Never saw that one coming.....

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I used to think it was silly making generalisations about a whole platform and treating them as one bloc. But twitter is often so reductive.

Screenshot_20210420-141053_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20210420-141449_Twitter.jpg

(This isn't Chery picking a few comments to highlight a narrative as always happens when people try to discredit tattle, but showing the most liked comments)