Collin the Caterpillar Vs Cuthbert the Caterpillar - M&S Vs Aldi Caterpillar Cakes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Twitter has changed and this isn't even meant to be political but I blame Trump.

Reactions: 4
Why do M&S = Tories? Honestly the hive mind seems to run no deeper than "Aldi sell cheap tit, so they must be the goodies."

Reactions: 14
I don't like M&S's response 🙈😅

I think it's bland, wishy washy, it's non committal on the charity idea (which side steps the PR danger zone but doesn't agree to anything) Classic M&S!

It's also interesting they tell Aldi to 'use their own character'... if it's the character of the catapillar they don't want used (as stated in that tweet) then they need to extend the legal action to everyone using the catapillar character, not just aldi...

Come at me 😜

• Haha
Ive never bought a caterpillar cake but I cant say Id be rushing to M&S if I did want to buy one. Im aware theyre sold and would probably just pick one up wherever.

I feel Aldi are going a bit OTT but there social media team have played a blinder and its brilliant!

M&S just need to stay in there own lane imo, anyone who was going to M&S to buy a Colin probably wouldnt even consider Aldi and vice versa.

I use both shops, probably equally tbh and find some of the Aldi stuff brilliant quality. Car park is always rammed with high end cars too.

Reactions: 5
Its exactly the response I'd have predicted from M&S. Dependable. Solid. Sticking to their guns.
I await Aldis takedown.

I actually think it was disgusting of Aldi to leverage charity to get out of one of their millions of sub-par ripoffs coming back to bite them on the ass. They have made tons out of ripping off the intellectual property of supermarkets then undercutting them, now it seems they are adding PR blackmail. Gross.

Reactions: 10

I think it's bland, wishy washy, it's non committal on the charity idea (which side steps the PR danger zone but doesn't agree to anything) Classic M&S!

It's also interesting they tell Aldi to 'use their own character'... if it's the character of the catapillar they don't want used (as stated in that tweet) then they need to extend the legal action to everyone using the catapillar character, not just aldi...

Come at me 😜

Asking them to use their own character is fair enough. It's an almost exact copy of their cake. It would be like if another cartoon studio decided to make a mouse character that looked exactly the same as Mickey. Disney would be well within their rights to go after them. They obviously couldn't sue Warner Bros over Daffy Duck and claim they were stealing the idea of Donald which is a much more suitable comparison to be made between Colin and the catterpillar cakes found in all the other supermarkets.

I don’t agree with M&S’ tweet 🤷🏻‍♀️ If they want Aldi to use their own character why are they asking now all of a sudden? Caterpillar cakes ain’t that new, Aldi ‘ripping off’ other foods isn’t new if anything I’d say it’s part of their brand - and tbh neither is Kevin the carrot. If it’s about Aldi using the character I.e. the caterpillar why are M&S targeting Aldi when every supermarket has created their own caterpillar cake? Why isnt Tesco sueing Asda because THEIR caterpillar cakes look the same?
Again yes I realise it comes down to intellectual property and a majority of the caterpillar cakes are slightly different to Colin, but Sainsbury’s caterpillar cake is literally exactly the same as Colin down to the face, just like Cuthbert, and I haven’t seen one tweet saying ‘oi Sainsbo’s - back the duck off’

That said I do also think it’s sneaky of Aldi to use charity donation in this because I think they know it’ll get the public on side...

I think it's good as it's just a social media post and it's not going to explain their roadmap for this year and beyond for corporate responsibility.

Although I'd have tweaked it to change the "we just want you to" to be more of a light-hearted suggestion.

And I'm still loving the serious analysing of chocolate log cakes 😆

Reactions: 6
He wasn't nearly as dashing when he first came out

archive-pic-1990-png-1597747825.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Just a side note the M&S share price did peak on the 19th, slightly lower today at £1.56.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Not so cocky now with their crying emoji reply

PSX_20210420_160748.jpg

Reactions: 7
I'm guessing that they probably know they don't have a hope in hell of actually winning the legal battle...

Reactions: 3
View attachment 537699

Don't feel the same, feels icky corporations using charity as a tool for gain and silencing. Even if the outcome is good, doesn't feel right.

Aldi if they wanted to go down the charity angle should have discussed in private to agree then release a joint statement. Otherwise it's trying to make M&S (who probably do far more for charity) look like the bad guy and back them in a corner.
Completely agree. If anything, this move by Aldi has made me swing in favour of M&S who actually do a lot of promotions on behalf of cancer charities. This feels tacky and like Aldi are goading M&S into saying “no” so they can hit out with gotcha media. It’s quite crass to use charity as a pawn imo.

Reactions: 10
I was just thinking the silence must be rather awkward for Aldi atm...

Why are they out of touch?...IMHO like many big and long standing uk companies, the top 7 layers of management could be bought from a '1990's London senior management identikit model shop' with a 20% discount if they come dressed in a blue pin stripe suit. The whole business is micromanaged by those top layers, and the bottom (where all the 'in touch' people usually are) has no imput and just has to follow what the out of touch identikit guys decide.
It's bizarre because I work on the Railway and we have the opposite problem, a layer of lower management determined not to let anything change.

Meanwhile #TeamColinfromthestart

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2