Collin the Caterpillar Vs Cuthbert the Caterpillar - M&S Vs Aldi Caterpillar Cakes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All this fuss but how do we know that M&S even invented Colin the Caterpillar themselves? I mean it's a swiss roll with a few smarties scattered on top, and a chocolate face jammed on the end. Are we sure Mary Berry wasn't knocking these out for kids parties in the 70s?
Inspired from Cadbury's most likely ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I'm failing to see the difference between Cecil, Wiggles, Colin and Cuthbert. I mean its very very slight, I definitely wouldn't be certain of the murderer in an identity parade situation.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I'd never heard of them before all this palava! Going to have to get one next time I'm in Aldi 😃

Reactions: 4
M&S definitely didn't invent caterpillar cakes - cook books had them before they brought it out apparently due to the hungry Caterpillar.

Aldi I'd assume is far bigger than m&s - although a bit confusing with how they're split into Aldi north and south. They own trader Joe's which is pretty much the best shop ever 😆

Reactions: 4
Bringing in the heavies now. M&S can't say no.
Don't know how I feel about that, hopefully it was arranged between the two before the tweet.

Reactions: 7
I didn't even realise M&S after several days finally issued a response yesterday. They've so been outplayed, even just saying social team makes them seem like they don't understand the internet.

Screenshot_20210420-093928_Twitter.jpg

Don't know how I feel about that, hopefully it was arranged between the two before the tweet
I doubt it was. Unsure how I feel bringing charity into it.

Reactions: 6
Yip, charity should be at your own discretion, maybe M&S supports those particular charities anyway but even so its a bit of a move from Aldi.

Reactions: 1
Screenshot_20210420-094630_Twitter.jpg

Don't feel the same, feels icky corporations using charity as a tool for gain and silencing. Even if the outcome is good, doesn't feel right.

Aldi if they wanted to go down the charity angle should have discussed in private to agree then release a joint statement. Otherwise it's trying to make M&S (who probably do far more for charity) look like the bad guy and back them in a corner.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
bleeping virtue signalling. Aldi should have quit while they were winning.

Reactions: 8
Dick move by Aldi. The worst kind of people are going to be virtue signalling themselves to death over that tweet.

I didn't even realise M&S after several days finally issued a response yesterday. They've so been outplayed, even just saying social team makes them seem like they don't understand the internet.

View attachment 537687

I doubt it was. Unsure how I feel bringing charity into it.
Just seen M&S's one and only response this morning too. They really have been outplayed. Aldi's PR are way more clever and quick. This has made M&S look like dinosaurs and it could have been such a good opportunity to bring the brand to the younger generations attention.

M&S are so obsessed with keeping 'everyone' happy and not offending or putting off any demographic, everything is watered down and spead evenly and it's killing the business, they desperately need to move with the times but they darent. This was a great opportunity, missed.

Aldi should have quit while ahead though... This is almost blackmail, it's publicly put M&S in a difficult position, but personally I don't agree with the legal action so (IMO) they've only got themselves to blame for the mess it's thrown up.

They will either need to accept or respond with a properly thought out statement now with big reasons set out to decline

Reactions: 5
My Facebook feed is going crazy with people applauding Aldi for their charitable suggestion. I can't help but feel that using charity in this situation is a bit wrong!

Reactions: 7
I’m still #teamcuthbert but that post made me cringe a bit to be honest. Wasn’t sure if it was just me😂

Just seen M&S's one and only response this morning too. They really have been outplayed. Aldi's PR are way more clever and quick. This has made M&S look like dinosaurs and it could have been such a good opportunity to bring the brand to the younger generations attention.

M&S are so obsessed with keeping 'everyone' happy and not offending or putting off any demographic, everything is watered down and spead evenly and it's killing the business, they desperately need to move with the times but they darent. This was a great opportunity, missed.

Aldi should have quit while ahead though... This is almost blackmail, it's publicly put M&S in a difficult position, but personally I don't agree with the legal action so (IMO) they've only got themselves to blame for the mess it's thrown up.

They will either need to accept or respond with a properly thought out statement now with big reasons set out to decline
Also agree with this, especially the bit in bold. I just feel m&s need to get with the times a bit, they could have joined in with the banter and made themselves look less.... uptight? I don’t really mind them personally, don’t really shop there as it’s a bit too expensive for my food budget, but I’m not a hater who wants them shut down. Just find the whole situation amusing. I don’t think it will be particularly damaging for either supermarket regardless of the result.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I'm changing my vote to M&S, I'd rather side with an out of touch dinosaur that's slow to respond than how Aldi are playing this with charity.

Screenshot_20210420-110105_Twitter.jpg

And Colin seems to always do better in taste tests, so unlikely that people are playing more for the same thing.

• Haha
I think this is all a hoax by Aldi. There’s been no confirmation or statement that Aldi were being sued and they them only as all supermarkets have their own caterpillar cake. It’s a very good marketing strategy by Aldi but a dick move to use Charity. If it was genuine why didn’t they approach M&S directly about partnering up then announce on Twitter about it.

I keep seeing memes about this, I'm not in the UK I have no idea what's going on...anyone want to elaborate....

• Haha
Why are they so out of touch though? Do they employ unimaginative social media people or is that team being kept on a tight leash. I think the word I'm looking for is naff. Sometimes the least said is easiest mended and it might be true in this case as Aldi have somewhat run away with themselves here.
Unrelated but do Aldi have a queue on Christmas eve from 8am, cos marksies do.

Reactions: 2