Collin the Caterpillar Vs Cuthbert the Caterpillar - M&S Vs Aldi Caterpillar Cakes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was a tweet that I probably can’t share here because of the language, but the jist was that Aldi had released nude pics of Colin in an attempt to discredit him ...

37AE9313-A812-445E-91AD-638959076650.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Lidl is better than it used to be, doesn't feel as communist thesedays. I quite like the experience. But fresh food doesn't last as long - good luck getting a bag of blood oranges without one of them being off!

Asda I really don't like, lots of the fresh produce has been tasteless.

Morrisons has an amazing playlist!

I want to say something about a silent support for m&s in the poll, but feels difficult to say it without mentioning a political trope 😶

Reactions: 7
Say it anyway hun.

Lidl I didn't like- their chocolate was good though.

Saturday shopping at Asda in Wembley was the highlight of my week as a kid.

I just go to whatever's closest. I don't have a car and hate carrying heavy bags.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Lidl is better than it used to be, doesn't feel as communist thesedays. I quite like the experience. But fresh food doesn't last as long - good luck getting a bag of blood oranges without one of them being off!

I want to say something about a silent support for m&s in the poll, but feels difficult to say it without mentioning a political trope 😶
At least Lidl stock some well know brands of food.

Easter 2020 Colin was more suitable for Halloween

View attachment 535591
Hold on a minute! thats a rip off of the rabbit in Wallace and Gromit's curse of the were-rabbit.

I will happily declare I voted for M&S, I have never stepped foot in an aldi because we don't have any.

Reactions: 4
Going to Budgen’s has been like going to a club/ a gig/ on holiday during lockdown. Return Of The Mack, in the biccie aisle? Yes plz. (There’s a meme or a gif out there on this I identified very strongly with).

Reactions: 1

Morrisons playlist needs putting on Spotify, it's off the scale brilliant👌😁

Reactions: 3
I certainly voted for M&S. Aldi are just not very good. Could never manage a full weekly shop there.

Reactions: 6
I voted for Aldi purely because I don't agree with how M&S went about this. I can't say I've ever tried Cuthbert.

I will say even before all this, Colin the Caterpillar was being hailed as an icon of British culture. But, ngl, I think he is overrated. Don't get me wrong I've had a slice of Colin in the past, but as a cake lover, it would not be my cake of choice for a celebration.

I also agree with others that sure, Aldi really push it with ripping stuff off, but coming for Cuthbert was not the one! Pick your battles M&S and don't sue a supermarket for a generic caterpillar chocolate roll that was a thing way before you started selling Colin 😂

Reactions: 12
I voted for Aldi because I've never shopped in m&s for food 😱 I remember i stayed over at some guys house and his mum awkwardly popped her head in and asked if I wanted a butty. I said yeah cos I was starving! She made me a butty with some m&s chicken on 🤣 it was fit tbh. That's the only time I can recall having m&s food. I'm more loyal to Aldi, also getting massive bully vibes from m&s considering all the other retailers have caterpillar cakes but they want to pick on aldi 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I voted for Aldi because I've never shopped in m&s for food 😱 I remember i stayed over at some guys house and his mum awkwardly popped her head in and asked if I wanted a butty. I said yeah cos I was starving! She made me a butty with some m&s chicken on 🤣 it was fit tbh. That's the only time I can recall having m&s food. I'm more loyal to Aldi, also getting massive bully vibes from m&s considering all the other retailers have caterpillar cakes but they want to pick on aldi 😂

They would be bullies if Aldi weren't the bigger company. Aldi want you to think they are the little company being bullied but that simply isn't true. The reason they have gone after Aldi and no other shops is because the Aldi cake is shying away from being a generic catterpillar cake and clearly designed to essentially be the M&S one at a cheaper price.

Reactions: 12
Its probably because the face is practically identical, but other supermarkets have been ripping off Colin for longer. It does seem weird that suddenly they are bothered about Cuthbert. M&S probably thought they’d get unwavering support since Colin is a ‘British icon’ I guess? Turns out we care more about taste and price point, who gives a tit about Colin😂

All the cakes are probably made in the same factory anyway, just like so many other products. Does it reallly matter that much? I doubt m&s will go out of business because aldi sell a certain type of cake that happens to be similar to theirs. Competition is the name of the game surely.

edit: bit of a generalisation but has anyone else noticed how people on #teamcuthbert are taking it as a joke and laughing about it, where as people on #teamcolin are talking like it’s a super serious issue for the most part? 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
I think M&S have played right into Aldis hands, who really couldn't care less about any legal action, they've lost and paid out before. I wonder how it all started, did Aldi receive a letter and then jump straight on socials with their memes? The question really is why are M&S so stupid?
I could understand Charlotte Tilbury taking them up, that really was an issue but every super market has a version of this cake and some of the faces are indistinguishable from Colins.

Reactions: 9
Always a funny whiff in Lidls. And so seldom need to buy a lone miniature powderpuff, a jar of frankfurters and a wetsuit.

Edited to add: but yes bakery and veg are excellent.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Lidl stinks. Whenever I've been in one there's always this really distinctive stench

Reactions: 1
They would be bullies if Aldi weren't the bigger company. Aldi want you to think they are the little company being bullied but that simply isn't true. The reason they have gone after Aldi and no other shops is because the Aldi cake is shying away from being a generic catterpillar cake and clearly designed to essentially be the M&S one at a cheaper price.
That is why I voted for M&S. I don't actually care but Cuthbert is an absolute rip off of Colin.

Aldi have played a blinder on social media but they are a massive company who sail very close to the wind with their products. All the other 'Colin's' are very obviously different.

I have to side with Colin. He's the OG

Plus my daughter would never forgive me. I put this is another thread but recently it was her birthday and she wanted a Colin and it came with the proviso "And I want Colin. I don't want some cheap knock off ". (She's in her 20's btw 😂 )

• Haha
Reactions: 11
All this fuss but how do we know that M&S even invented Colin the Caterpillar themselves? I mean it's a swiss roll with a few smarties scattered on top, and a chocolate face jammed on the end. Are we sure Mary Berry wasn't knocking these out for kids parties in the 70s?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
My husband had a Wiggles for his 50th 🐛 (lockdown grocery delivery - I did what I could).