Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Notworthy

VIP Member
I go most weeks and buy things I don't need, then I complain about the price. I think I'm a pretty typical M&S shopper, we like a good moan. Haven't seen the cake jars yet, but I'd have to hide them at the back of the fridge.
Last time I bought them they didn't make it out of the car and it's only a 15 minute drive so getting to the back of the fridge shows amazing constraint. I can highly recommend M&S Almond biscuits, they did make it out of the car but not into the cupboard.

I find it bizarre that M&S are being seen at the villains in all of this. Aldi aren't some poor little company being bullied by someone much bigger. They are a huge multinational company that have made a business model out of taking the successful products of others, copying it to be almost indistinguishable and selling it for cheaper. I hope they finally get what's coming to them. I would imagine a lot of the hate for M&S is inverse snobbery as of course the middle class shop HAS to be the baddies and the place that sells cheap food to low income families have to be the goodies.
I agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

Chunkeylaydee

VIP Member
Sure Aldi were in legal action with slimming world and so we’re Asda and had to change their packaging for the rip off SW meals.

I keep seeing memes about this, I'm not in the UK I have no idea what's going on...anyone want to elaborate....
TL;DR -
Marks and Spencer sells a popular caterpillar-shaped cake called "Colin" which is commonly bought for birthdays, etc.
All the other supermarkets in the UK sell their own version.
M&S decided to sue Aldi over its knock-off "Cuthbert Caterpillar", which pretty much looks exactly the same as theirs (all the others have some kind of variation)
People debated over which is better, memes etc.
Aldi's PR team proved themselves far superior and now seem to have won the battle by asking that M&S, and all other supermarkets that sell the cake, join them in donating the proceeds to charity. M&S will look very bad if they say no, especially since their brand has taken a huge hit in recent years
But this doesn't change the fact that involving charity is pretty cynical / morally dubious on Aldi's part. Also, Colin is generally agreed to taste better

• Heart

BigMavis

VIP Member
I think it does explain why M&S is in the state it's in. They move slowly while other retailers (especially fashion) move nimbly.

They've probably got a meeting Monday morning and will eventually drop the case and try to back down in the least humiliating way possible.

I saw the Tesco chocolate catapillar cake on offer tonight 🤣, kinda tempted as you can't get a Cuthbert for love or money but at the same time did look like a Swiss roll covered in nasty veggie oil chocolate frosting with sicky fondant stuck on.
I'm so furious that we don't have aldi to compare the two 😫 I would gladly do a taste test for tattle. I would avoid tescos if I'm honest, but I've been craving a chocolate caterpillar since this story broke, so beggars can't be choosers.
M&S clothing wouldn't be the first place I'd choose to shop but they've upped their game ever so slightly, it's not all only Suitable for bus passers just yet. Hopefully Mondays meeting brings the drama 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
One step away from making culbert gender neutral so as not to offend by the looks of that charity tweet.
Aldiwoke

Bellaboo83

VIP Member
Old school way of thinking is my guess. They research and test things a lot before as @Bellaboo83 put quite well and would rather say nothing than offend anyone.

It's been an hour and none of the tagged supermarkets have replied yet. It is funny thinking that they'll all in their HQs discussing what to do 😆
I was just thinking the silence must be rather awkward for Aldi atm...

Why are they out of touch?...IMHO like many big and long standing uk companies, the top 7 layers of management could be bought from a '1990's London senior management identikit model shop' with a 20% discount if they come dressed in a blue pin stripe suit. The whole business is micromanaged by those top layers, and the bottom (where all the 'in touch' people usually are) has no imput and just has to follow what the out of touch identikit guys decide.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Ive never bought a caterpillar cake but I cant say Id be rushing to M&S if I did want to buy one. Im aware theyre sold and would probably just pick one up wherever.

I feel Aldi are going a bit OTT but there social media team have played a blinder and its brilliant!

M&S just need to stay in there own lane imo, anyone who was going to M&S to buy a Colin probably wouldnt even consider Aldi and vice versa.

I use both shops, probably equally tbh and find some of the Aldi stuff brilliant quality. Car park is always rammed with high end cars too.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I’m still #teamcuthbert but that post made me cringe a bit to be honest. Wasn’t sure if it was just me😂

Just seen M&S's one and only response this morning too. They really have been outplayed. Aldi's PR are way more clever and quick. This has made M&S look like dinosaurs and it could have been such a good opportunity to bring the brand to the younger generations attention.

M&S are so obsessed with keeping 'everyone' happy and not offending or putting off any demographic, everything is watered down and spead evenly and it's killing the business, they desperately need to move with the times but they darent. This was a great opportunity, missed.

Aldi should have quit while ahead though... This is almost blackmail, it's publicly put M&S in a difficult position, but personally I don't agree with the legal action so (IMO) they've only got themselves to blame for the mess it's thrown up.

They will either need to accept or respond with a properly thought out statement now with big reasons set out to decline
Also agree with this, especially the bit in bold. I just feel m&s need to get with the times a bit, they could have joined in with the banter and made themselves look less.... uptight? I don’t really mind them personally, don’t really shop there as it’s a bit too expensive for my food budget, but I’m not a hater who wants them shut down. Just find the whole situation amusing. I don’t think it will be particularly damaging for either supermarket regardless of the result.

Last edited:

Yel

Chatty Member
All this is making me want to do is eat a chocolate caterpillar and I really couldn't care which shop it's from
Same but ain't no way I'm buying one with a fondant face, so that's half of them ruled out🤢

NINTCHDBPICT000647744347.jpg

• Haha

Yel

Chatty Member
I used to think it was silly making generalisations about a whole platform and treating them as one bloc. But twitter is often so reductive.

Screenshot_20210420-141053_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20210420-141449_Twitter.jpg

(This isn't Chery picking a few comments to highlight a narrative as always happens when people try to discredit tattle, but showing the most liked comments)

Bellaboo83

VIP Member
I didn't even realise M&S after several days finally issued a response yesterday. They've so been outplayed, even just saying social team makes them seem like they don't understand the internet.

View attachment 537687

I doubt it was. Unsure how I feel bringing charity into it.
Just seen M&S's one and only response this morning too. They really have been outplayed. Aldi's PR are way more clever and quick. This has made M&S look like dinosaurs and it could have been such a good opportunity to bring the brand to the younger generations attention.

M&S are so obsessed with keeping 'everyone' happy and not offending or putting off any demographic, everything is watered down and spead evenly and it's killing the business, they desperately need to move with the times but they darent. This was a great opportunity, missed.

Aldi should have quit while ahead though... This is almost blackmail, it's publicly put M&S in a difficult position, but personally I don't agree with the legal action so (IMO) they've only got themselves to blame for the mess it's thrown up.

They will either need to accept or respond with a properly thought out statement now with big reasons set out to decline

Yel

Chatty Member
Looking at the official Collin account and it's pretty cringy that their strategy for all of this was to shout out members of the public and their attempts at copying Collin before going public with the legal action to detract from them going for Aldi.

P60s for everyone involved!
(I believe they mostly use in-house marketing?)

• Haha

caterday28

Chatty Member
Colin the Caterpillars were all sold out at my local M&S Food. I wonder if they've had an increase in sales?

• Haha

Ab Fab

I am from the UK too, but for almost 30 years (I'm 29 now) my parents always bought our birthday cakes from the same family bakery in Golders Green ( Carmelli's ).
the best bakery in London I always pop in when we go visit 🙂

• Heart
  • Haha

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Round 2: M&S release SIR CUTHBERT THE CARROT 🥕 ...... fuck you Kevin
Oh I love this- dare you to write this on their insta page.

Wouldn't eat Seth. Thats where I'd draw the line.
What about cute little Sophie in her bunny ears?
1618777065544.png

Or Sonny the sloth from Aldi?

1618777262332.png

Connie is Swifty,
I knew she looked like she’d put it around and hop from man plate to man plate.
Fear not hun her parents taught her ALL about the humans and the bees. Kudos to her for being a girl who can have her cake and eat it too.

Hmmm interesting so far -

1618777810470.png

Last edited:
  • Haha