Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Is anyone else freaked out that these caterpillars have no definition to their eyes so they just look like massive brown holes?

Reactions: 9

coconochanel

VIP Member
I once had the M&S mini Colin Caterpillar cake and TBH I don't see what all the fuss is about. I thought they tasted average 🤭

• Haha
  • Wow

BigMavis

VIP Member
I think M&S have played right into Aldis hands, who really couldn't care less about any legal action, they've lost and paid out before. I wonder how it all started, did Aldi receive a letter and then jump straight on socials with their memes? The question really is why are M&S so stupid?
I could understand Charlotte Tilbury taking them up, that really was an issue but every super market has a version of this cake and some of the faces are indistinguishable from Colins.

Yel

Chatty Member
M&S will never bow to the little people, aldi are so much more relatable
I think it does explain why M&S is in the state it's in. They move slowly while other retailers (especially fashion) move nimbly.

They've probably got a meeting Monday morning and will eventually drop the case and try to back down in the least humiliating way possible.

I saw the Tesco chocolate catapillar cake on offer tonight 🤣, kinda tempted as you can't get a Cuthbert for love or money but at the same time did look like a Swiss roll covered in nasty veggie oil chocolate frosting with sicky fondant stuck on. 😶. I've never had any of them but the serves 12 is insulting.

• Haha

HitchhikingGhost

VIP Member
Popped into M and S for something yesterday and they were sold out of Colin's. Not gonna lie, all this talk of caterpillar cakes is making me want one 🙈

• Haha

BigMavis

VIP Member
They have lost legal challenges in the past.
But instead of the public distancing themselves from Aldi they're raging at the brands. The public wants the best value.

Yel

Chatty Member
Not another fondant face ! :(

Aldi are on to promoting their merch now, this and using people like poppy dayes doesn't win me over

87E35A11-4A98-4827-96DB-B70FABFF086D.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow

Yel

Chatty Member
Why are they so out of touch though?
Old school way of thinking is my guess. They research and test things a lot before as @Bellaboo83 put quite well and would rather say nothing than offend anyone.

It's been an hour and none of the tagged supermarkets have replied yet. It is funny thinking that they'll all in their HQs discussing what to do 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Yel

Chatty Member
M&S are joining in the banter now on Twitter.
Can you link it? I can't see anything official but m&s and their different accounts are confusing!

No doubt they'll come back with something to pretend to be in on the joke but far too late after the damage has been done, much like bo selecta and Craig David 😆.

• Haha

sdmilne

Dick move by Aldi. The worst kind of people are going to be virtue signalling themselves to death over that tweet.

Guitarwarrior

VIP Member
I find it bizarre that M&S are being seen at the villains in all of this. Aldi aren't some poor little company being bullied by someone much bigger. They are a huge multinational company that have made a business model out of taking the successful products of others, copying it to be almost indistinguishable and selling it for cheaper. I hope they finally get what's coming to them. I would imagine a lot of the hate for M&S is inverse snobbery as of course the middle class shop HAS to be the baddies and the place that sells cheap food to low income families have to be the goodies.
Aldi are global these days as well as Europe they’re in USA,China and Australia so it’s probably bigger than M&S these days. The snobbery statement is very true. As soon as you say you’ve done some food shopping at either M&S or Waitrose you’re automatically labelled as a Tory voting middle class snob. Personally for my needs I can’t rely on Aldi/lidl. I get it’s great for some people but some people need to stop being so pressed about where a person buys their groceries.
The cake thing is just funny in reality nothing is ever going to come of it in the long run other than a perhaps a packaging change. It’s just a marketing thing in reality.

• Haha

sdmilne

I see the twitter echo chamber are calling that a vile classless response from M&S. Never saw that one coming.....

• Haha

Thelmachops

VIP Member
I don't know if it's been said already but a female one appeared in my Tesco this week called Calli!

I had a Colin my 42nd birthday last month 🙈

My sister had a Mr & Mrs Colin as her wedding cake..

• Haha
  • Heart

Jc456

VIP Member
Its definatly been funny how other brand have played along .

Coop made me laugh don't bring us into this.

Will judge rinder decide.

I buy a Colin the caterpillar cake at start if this month for sons birthday but this was pre legal action. I shop in aldi but don't recall seeing cuthbert.
Screenshot_20210418-095316_Instagram.jpg

• Haha

Yel

Chatty Member
Perfectly put @Bellaboo83

I really think they've misjudged how much goodwill their brand has and were hoping this would galvanise support. Maybe they were thinking lots, like themselves, were against the budget supermarket ethos?

But many of their customers (like myself) have precious little loyalty and shop at both m&s and Aldi.

*Looks at the sea of empty salad pots overflowing from the bin and feels guilty*

• Heart