Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BigMavis

VIP Member
I am also from the UK too, but for almost 30 years (I'm 29 now) my parents have always bought our birthday cakes from the same family bakery in Golders Green ( Carmelli's ). The last one we ordered. My best memories as a kid include running straight to the fridge first thing in the morning the next day for left over cake.

View attachment 534583
Oh my days, that looks amazing. Is it made with fresh cream?

Reactions: 2

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Completely agree. If anything, this move by Aldi has made me swing in favour of M&S who actually do a lot of promotions on behalf of cancer charities. This feels tacky and like Aldi are goading M&S into saying “no” so they can hit out with gotcha media. It’s quite crass to use charity as a pawn imo.
I don't quite understand this as Aldi have been supporting cancer charities for years as well?

Notworthy

VIP Member
I was just thinking the silence must be rather awkward for Aldi atm...

Why are they out of touch?...IMHO like many big and long standing uk companies, the top 7 layers of management could be bought from a '1990's London senior management identikit model shop' with a 20% discount if they come dressed in a blue pin stripe suit. The whole business is micromanaged by those top layers, and the bottom (where all the 'in touch' people usually are) has no imput and just has to follow what the out of touch identikit guys decide.
It's bizarre because I work on the Railway and we have the opposite problem, a layer of lower management determined not to let anything change.

Meanwhile #TeamColinfromthestart

Last edited:
  • Heart

BigMavis

VIP Member
They'd need to improve the quality of their food first for that to ever happen.
I can't comment on Aldis food, never had it. But I've never not enjoyed M&S produce, its top notch and quality is excellent, expensive yes, but maybe the other supermarkets would be too if they had the same quality.

Reactions: 1

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I don't know if it's been said already but a female one appeared in my Tesco this week called Calli!

I had a Colin my 42nd birthday last month 🙈

My sister had a Mr & Mrs Colin as her wedding cake..

There is a female Colin called Connie.

I prefer Colin though. Don't know why. They had a Christmas Colin too.

• Haha

WilmaHun

VIP Member
Went in Asda last night and happened to fall down the cake aisle hoping to find their version of a caterpillar cake. Didn't have any so I had to get an ordinary chocolate swiss roll 💔💔

• Sad

WilmaHun

VIP Member
Always a funny whiff in Lidls. And so seldom need to buy a lone miniature powderpuff, a jar of frankfurters and a wetsuit.

Edited to add: but yes bakery and veg are excellent.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Lidl stinks. Whenever I've been in one there's always this really distinctive stench

Cats_eyes

Chatty Member
I keep seeing memes about this, I'm not in the UK I have no idea what's going on...anyone want to elaborate....

• Haha

Dont swipe up!

VIP Member
M&S are joining in the banter now on Twitter.

Be prepared for M&S dropping this action. The public don't care and we know very well what we're buying and where we're buying it from.

I don't think I'd walk in Aldi and pick up a Caterpillar cake and be surprised it wasn't an M&S Colin one!!

Aldi need to start on Peter Pigs and really get M&S going 😂 😂
Fuck sake
Peter pigs dying 😂😂😂😂

• Haha

Kinvarra

Going to Budgen’s has been like going to a club/ a gig/ on holiday during lockdown. Return Of The Mack, in the biccie aisle? Yes plz. (There’s a meme or a gif out there on this I identified very strongly with).

BigMavis

VIP Member
Yip, charity should be at your own discretion, maybe M&S supports those particular charities anyway but even so its a bit of a move from Aldi.

Kinvarra

The face is so earth shatteringly lame! How hilarious.

I am very fond of M&S, still consider it a bit of a treat tbh.

Elsie1988

I think this is all a hoax by Aldi. There’s been no confirmation or statement that Aldi were being sued and they them only as all supermarkets have their own caterpillar cake. It’s a very good marketing strategy by Aldi but a dick move to use Charity. If it was genuine why didn’t they approach M&S directly about partnering up then announce on Twitter about it.