Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
M&S definitely didn't invent caterpillar cakes - cook books had them before they brought it out apparently due to the hungry Caterpillar.

Aldi I'd assume is far bigger than m&s - although a bit confusing with how they're split into Aldi north and south. They own trader Joe's which is pretty much the best shop ever 😆

Reactions: 4

Bellaboo83

VIP Member
I don't like M&S's response 🙈😅

I think it's bland, wishy washy, it's non committal on the charity idea (which side steps the PR danger zone but doesn't agree to anything) Classic M&S!

It's also interesting they tell Aldi to 'use their own character'... if it's the character of the catapillar they don't want used (as stated in that tweet) then they need to extend the legal action to everyone using the catapillar character, not just aldi...

Come at me 😜

• Haha

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I go most weeks and buy things I don't need, then I complain about the price. I think I'm a pretty typical M&S shopper, we like a good moan. Haven't seen the cake jars yet, but I'd have to hide them at the back of the fridge.
As long you enjoy it hun I don't see the problem. Please time how long it takes before it is found. xD

You can still buy a giant one for yourself too. The comments here are also worth reading. #Teamcolin

1618752205053.png

Last edited:
  • Haha

BigMavis

VIP Member
I will happily declare I voted for M&S, I have never stepped foot in an aldi because we don't have any.

BigMavis

VIP Member
Its exactly the response I'd have predicted from M&S. Dependable. Solid. Sticking to their guns.
I await Aldis takedown.

fireflies

VIP Member
This Colin Vs Cuthbert drama has made my
week.

Agree, this is so interesting from the business perspective. The fact Aldi pounced, at the weekend, with a blinding social media strategy that encouraged all major food retailers to join in. When clearly M&S are not sure how to respond. One can only imagine all sorts of serious weekend conferences / calls /meetings that have taken place with M&S senior management teams, head of marketing, external PR consultants, legal teams etc. All over a flipping caterpillar cake 😂

Definitely a great lesson in the need to adapt to situations quickly and great use of social media by Aldi. They have taken the wind out of M&S’ sails completely.

Its definatly been funny how other brand have played along .

Coop made me laugh don't bring us into this.

Will judge rinder decide.

I buy a Colin the caterpillar cake at start if this month for sons birthday but this was pre legal action. I shop in aldi but don't recall seeing cuthbert.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha

BigMavis

VIP Member
I once had the M&S mini Colin Caterpillar cake and TBH I don't see what all the fuss is about. I thought they tasted average 🤭
Its the same as any other generic store bought chocolate cake, but it is nice/average with a dollop of cream and a cuppa. It has chocolate going for it which is always a winner!

sdmilne

I don't like M&S's response 🙈😅

I think it's bland, wishy washy, it's non committal on the charity idea (which side steps the PR danger zone but doesn't agree to anything) Classic M&S!

It's also interesting they tell Aldi to 'use their own character'... if it's the character of the catapillar they don't want used (as stated in that tweet) then they need to extend the legal action to everyone using the catapillar character, not just aldi...

Come at me 😜

Asking them to use their own character is fair enough. It's an almost exact copy of their cake. It would be like if another cartoon studio decided to make a mouse character that looked exactly the same as Mickey. Disney would be well within their rights to go after them. They obviously couldn't sue Warner Bros over Daffy Duck and claim they were stealing the idea of Donald which is a much more suitable comparison to be made between Colin and the catterpillar cakes found in all the other supermarkets.

Ennui

VIP Member
I'd never heard of them before all this palava! Going to have to get one next time I'm in Aldi 😃

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I don’t agree with M&S’ tweet 🤷🏻‍♀️ If they want Aldi to use their own character why are they asking now all of a sudden? Caterpillar cakes ain’t that new, Aldi ‘ripping off’ other foods isn’t new if anything I’d say it’s part of their brand - and tbh neither is Kevin the carrot. If it’s about Aldi using the character I.e. the caterpillar why are M&S targeting Aldi when every supermarket has created their own caterpillar cake? Why isnt Tesco sueing Asda because THEIR caterpillar cakes look the same?
Again yes I realise it comes down to intellectual property and a majority of the caterpillar cakes are slightly different to Colin, but Sainsbury’s caterpillar cake is literally exactly the same as Colin down to the face, just like Cuthbert, and I haven’t seen one tweet saying ‘oi Sainsbo’s - back the fuck off’

That said I do also think it’s sneaky of Aldi to use charity donation in this because I think they know it’ll get the public on side...

Bellaboo83

VIP Member
Lidl is better than it used to be, doesn't feel as communist thesedays. I quite like the experience. But fresh food doesn't last as long - good luck getting a bag of blood oranges without one of them being off!

Asda I really don't like, lots of the fresh produce has been tasteless.

Morrisons has an amazing playlist!

I want to say something about a silent support for m&s in the poll, but feels difficult to say it without mentioning a political trope 😶
Morrisons playlist needs putting on Spotify, it's off the scale brilliant👌😁

Reactions: 3

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
All this fuss but how do we know that M&S even invented Colin the Caterpillar themselves? I mean it's a swiss roll with a few smarties scattered on top, and a chocolate face jammed on the end. Are we sure Mary Berry wasn't knocking these out for kids parties in the 70s?
Inspired from Cadbury's most likely ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3