Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Meg78

VIP Member
I’m a HUGE Christmas nerd but I’ve not had a Christmas tree in over a decade, started out because I was single and working abroad a lot so saw no need, then when I met Mr Meg and we had a child who turned out to be part-flying squirrel we thought it best to avoid the inevitable destruction. We also live in a teeny tiny cottage and there’s not much room, if we bought a tree it would need to be size appropriate and as we are hoping to move asap it seems silly to blow the budget on a nice tree before we have the space to justify it.

…..But kiddo is growing fast and I realised tonight we only have 4-6 Christmasses left of scampering downstairs eagerly checking if Santa has been, and it made me really sad so maybe we can find a compromise, a smaller cheaper tree that we don’t mind getting attacked. So I checked online and found that Argos has some sort of glitch on the Christmas trees, they’ve got 2ft ones priced at £90, 4ft at £1.50, and 6ft pre lit for £25, it’s all over the place! I’ve ordered the 6ft one to quality check, thought I should share in case anyone else needs a bargain option!

• Wow
Reactions: 14

ChubClubThug

VIP Member
Almost 9 months later, I'm still driving around with new Christmas gift bags, wrapping paper and an unused Joseph nativity costume that I was supposed to take back to Argos, in the boot of my car 🤣

My 4yr old always opts for Christmas stories at bedtime, the little weirdo😄 I've been on Stinky Sprouts, The Story of Christmas (nativity style book), Meg & Mog at Christmas, 101 christmas Bums, The Polar Express, A Christmas Carol and Countdown to Christmas etc. all year round!

I think I'll get some new festive stories this year... but I'm really pleased he could be a Christmas nut like his mother 🤣🎄🎅 my oldest hates it all because I go demented like Pam from Gavin & Stacey 😬 He's in his 20s and suffered too many Christmas countdowns with me 🤣🤶

I've already looked at the calendar to see when I can put my Xmas lights up outside in Nov! 🎄

• Haha

boatofbubbles

Chatty Member
When my eldest was about 4, my parents took him to a garden centre to meet Father Christmas and was given the book the night before Christmas. He had me read that book to him every night for 2 years. Nearly a decade on I can recite it word for word. I was glad when he moved on.

• Haha
  • Heart

Carefree

VIP Member
After all this talk of treating yourself to a Christmas present, the other day I bought myself an Emma Bridgewater mug. I mean why not it's Christmas in July after all! 🤭
I would spend every penny I have, and don't have, on Emma Bridgewater 😍 Limited edition items are my favourite though.

Another Park savings girly here. Every year it lets me enjoy Christmas and all the amazing bits on sale especially M&S. Still heavily disappointed that their alcohol spray cream cans haven't been back for years 😔 Those on top of a Christmas pudding? Homer drool.

I'm a single woman who loves Christmas and enjoys buying for my nieces more than receiving anything. Apparently my face is super expressive and it's really obvious when my present is awful so we tend to stick to gift cards and booze. Single malt and Baileys is the way to my heart.

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
I have one friend who still does elf on the shelf. She doesn’t need to work and invents the scenarios when she’s drunk, every night.

• Haha

ATV2021

VIP Member
I'm spending Xmas eve and morning alone, so any tips to make it less miserable would be appreciated please
My best xmas for the last few years was Xmas 2020. Home alone, had a xmas dinner delivery (some places near me still do it so check the carveries out - why cook!). Stayed in xmas PJs all day, watching crap xmas films, having a beverage (usually have to drive somewhere so can't) or 12. Could open presents and pull faces at the questionable items without fear of offending. I am a xmas nut and very, very used to solo life 🤣 but I had the actual best day.

Plus you can message me whenever and I'll try be entertaining 🤣

• Heart

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
My best xmas for the last few years was Xmas 2020. Home alone, had a xmas dinner delivery (some places near me still do it so check the carveries out - why cook!). Stayed in xmas PJs all day, watching crap xmas films, having a beverage (usually have to drive somewhere so can't) or 12. Could open presents and pull faces at the questionable items without fear of offending. I am a xmas nut and very, very used to solo life 🤣 but I had the actual best day.

Plus you can message me whenever and I'll try be entertaining 🤣
Not everyones cup of tea but I'd actually love xmas alone. Get loads of booze and nice bits in from M&S. Sit with my feet up in front of the tv whilst also admiring my tree and browsing tattle. Cook something nice but easy like lasagne. But apparently it's anti social and my family get offended when i suggest I don't visit. But then I'm not close to my family, and only have a small one, and see them most weeks anyway

• Heart

mrs.darcy

VIP Member
Hello Christmas thread. 🎄 🎄 I'm another one who doesn't like summer, I'm not good in the heat.

I've started my Christmas shopping so feeling very organised. I love making all my Christmas lists and have a planner specifically for that purpose.

My youngest has invited me to spend Christmas with her this year so I'm looking forward to that.

We love Christmas in this family.

BanditHealer

Starting to get dark on a night, between that and my bargain Christmas trees, I'm feeling festive.

Katienana

I was flicking through the channels last night and on QVC they were flogging Kelly Hoppen Christmas decorations. The presenters were dressed all Christmassy and the studio was decorated. It was raining outside and I could almost kid myself it was winter!

Yeah....Brackie

I've just seen on another thread that someone has Baileys on coco pops for his Christmas day breakfast. Doesn't that sound fabulous!

• Haha

Bec3007

VIP Member
Oh Christmas is my favourite time of year!! I love dark evenings, movies with blankets and snacks the lot!

Every month myself and my husband put money into a Christmas savings pot purely for our sons presents. This gives us peace of mind that should we be short near Christmas we know he’s still getting presents. He’s still young and very much believes in Santa. We love creating the magic of it all!! And yes he is spoilt on birthdays and Christmas but you’re only young once!

I don’t have much family but our Christmas is spent just us 3. We do gift exchange with family on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is spent opening presents, eating, playing and watching films. No one visits us and we don’t visit them and honestly I love it that way. We do FaceTime family but I enjoy it just being us 3 and allowing my son the time to enjoy all his new toys.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Jwren

VIP Member
I'm spending Xmas eve and morning alone, so any tips to make it less miserable would be appreciated please
First of all treat and pamper yourself like royalty you deserve it, indulge in things you love, they don’t have to be expensive. Home made snacks, or bought ones set out on your favourite plates/bowls, chocolates, a nice bottle of your favourite drink, it doesn’t have to be alcoholic. If you have any hobbies….cooking, painting, mixed media, up cycling, sewing etc set yourself a little project to keep yourself busy, or maybe take up a hobby if you haven’t one. Have some lovely fragrances in the background from a candle, or aromatherapy oils. Put on some joyful music, or a podcast, or even something to sink your mind into on TV, or perhaps a book. And take yourself out for a wander if you’re able, I love seeing the beautiful decorations in other peoples homes as I walk around my village.
I’m so sorry you’re own your own at that time I have been there myself, although I quite enjoyed it being stress free. But I really do appreciate it’s very difficult for many, especially at Christmas time being on their own xx

• Heart

Katienana

Best thing to do when putting it up is to make an evening of it. Get some mulled wine on, put on some music and get in the mood. If you can, enlist help, with taking it down my husband finds and takes baubles off the tree and I pack them away.
My tactic is to put up the tree and the lights by myself when the kids are at school. I don't put any decorations on, just mean literally putting it together, fluffing the branches and arranging the fairy lights. That's the tedious bit so I can watch an Xmas film while I do it. Then it's all ready for us to put the ornaments on together, it doesn't take too long and nobody gets bored waiting. The following Monday I rearrange it all 🤣

Meg78

VIP Member
Totally agree for all my Christmassy joy that bastard Elf can go take a jump off a cliff, never going to be a thing in my house!

• Heart

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
Yay, this is my favourite thread! My baby is due at Christmas, so I’m moving celebrations to earlier in the month and I’m really looking forward to it 🥳
Once my birthday is done in august, then I begin the buying of presents, writing of lists etc.
I was really ill with flu last year so im hoping to enjoy this year a little more. I missed out on so many Christmas films last year, I was quite sad about it.

• Heart