Christmas 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think the guy in Argos thought I was mad! Gave him my collection details and he was like riiiiight so this is for....4 Christmas trees?!?!?!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Picking my two up tomorrow - They'll be in the box until next year at the earliest, but couldn't resist

Reactions: 3
I’ve been looking loads and loads at gift ideas but I don’t really want to get someone something that goes in their drawer, maybe I’ll do a lot of food gifts I still don’t know! Never know how snobby someone’s gonna be

Reactions: 8
Flying Tiger have Christmas planners in, if people would prefer a more affordable option.

I was half tempted to wrap some Christmas presents today but decided to hold tough, for now 😅

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Went to collect my trees this morning and the woman at the till went to get aaaaall the other staff members out to come and see the crazy lady, felt like a ruddy zoo exhibit!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
my company is doing its Christmas photo shoots at the moment because next month, we begin our winter campaign roll out. Just tell them you work in retail.

Reactions: 6
I’m responsible for booking the Xmas do this year. I’ve been there 7 weeks so it’s hard to know the vibe/what people actually like. I’ve asked what they’ve done in previous years and I was met with an unenthusiastic “we go out for a meal”. I got the impression they weren’t too thrilled about it! Tell me, what’s your ideal works xmas do? Or a good Xmas do you’ve been to in the past?

Reactions: 4
I’m responsible for booking the Xmas do this year. I’ve been there 7 weeks so it’s hard to know the vibe/what people actually like. I’ve asked what they’ve done in previous years and I was met with an unenthusiastic “we go out for a meal”. I got the impression they weren’t too thrilled about it! Tell me, what’s your ideal works xmas do? Or a good Xmas do you’ve been to in the past?
You probably have this covered, but get your budget confirmed first if you haven’t already!

Different things work for different companies, but my fave is to get the work thing out of the way in early December and try not to eat into peoples personal time too much; late lunches are always my preference and people can either stay out themselves afterwards or go about their normal lives at their finish time.

Reactions: 6
Oh gosh I don't envy you this task. Awful trying to co-ordinate deposits and dates that work for everyone. I ended up out of pocket one year, never again.

We did bowling and a meal last year which was fun. I've also attended events at a hotel where they have a covers band on and a meal, those are good because you just have one thing to book if that makes sense and you stay there all night so no worries about trekking the streets trying to find the next place for a drink. Depends on the age of your colleagues as the band and meal option tends to be a hit with older teams in my experience.

Reactions: 5
Hire a bit of a fancy bar for a few hours. Have some small plates and budget for a few free drinks. No nonsense with full meals, and then those who want to continue will carry on.

1. Whose paying - each individual, the boss, or a bit of both?

2. How many usually attend?

3. Whoever asked you to organise it, ask them these questions.

4. Is it usually held the same time each year, ie first Friday in December?

5. Is it usually a late lunch or evening do?

6. Once you know all the above, send out an email with voting buttons asking who is available for whichever date and time you pick.

Hope this helps you start planning.

• Heart
I don't envy you I've had to arrange the Christmas meal in the past, we had to pay for ourselves so it was only for a small team. I'd ask them if they'd prefer a meal at lunch or after work or to hire a venue for a party.
The best one's I've been to were when I worked at the civil service and we hired a venue for our floor and had a party, we all had to pay so no food was included.

• Heart
Omg talk about chucking you in at the deep end !

I've organised ours for years but have bowed after they text me asking me to sort it whilst I was in Greece last yr !!

I would look at the kind of local venues that do weddings, corporate events etc (poss sporting venues) as these will usually do a sit down meal and variety show or disco. Most people seem to want a traditional Christmas meal somewhere central.

As others have said, lunch vs evening. Do people like to glam up and dance? Price points etc. I usually fix a date best for all, get a few brochures where there's availability and put it to a vote.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.