Childfree by choice #7 Parents: not everything is about you

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I absolutely HATE it when people bring their kids round and just ignore them while they destroy stuff or make a mess. I used to ignore it out of politeness and just quietly seethe but now if the parents don’t say anything I make a point of saying something to the child in front of them (nicely, tbf, because it’s not their fault their parents are tit)

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I’m far too blunt, I’ve told all my child-rearing friends I’ll meet them at cafes etc because I don’t want my apartment to have sticky handprints everywhere 👀 Last time I let a friend come over with her baby she started feeding it a sachet of food on my sofa that I’ve not even finished paying for yet. Girl bye 👋

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I saw that "little tummies" LinkedIn post the other day. Made me feel unwell.

I don't necessarily think the world needs to revolve around full time working hours and I'm also very aware of how expensive childcare is. But if you choose to work full time 9-5, funnily enough, the world doesn't stop at 5pm to accommodate the "little tummies".

It's this weird martyrdom I can't be bothered with. You chose to have children - yes it's expensive as duck and difficult to fit around standard working hours! Why does this always seem to come as a surprise?!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I saw that "little tummies" LinkedIn post the other day. Made me feel unwell.

I don't necessarily think the world needs to revolve around full time working hours and I'm also very aware of how expensive childcare is. But if you choose to work full time 9-5, funnily enough, the world doesn't stop at 5pm to accommodate the "little tummies".

It's this weird martyrdom I can't be bothered with. You chose to have children - yes it's expensive as duck and difficult to fit around standard working hours! Why does this always seem to come as a surprise?!
This. Someone retweeted one of those ‘relatable mum’ tweets the other day that was along the lines of “When you have kids you know you’re going to have to spend money on prams and cots. But what they don’t tell you is how much money you spend on going places. Why didn’t anyone tell me you had to take them places?!” Like, you really thought you’d all be locked in the house for 18 years?! Of course you have to go to places with them! How is this brand new information?!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I absolutely HATE it when people bring their kids round and just ignore them while they destroy stuff or make a mess. I used to ignore it out of politeness and just quietly seethe but now if the parents don’t say anything I make a point of saying something to the child in front of them (nicely, tbf, because it’s not their fault their parents are tit)
Completely agree. I love my niece and nephew but they always leave things in a mess at my house and they’re old enough to know better. So I just ask them to tidy up now. 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Today at work someone had scheduled a social meeting at the end of the day to day goodbye to someone who is leaving. I was really busy so I popped in to say good luck etc but then left the meeting. This was in Teams so I could still see the chat after I left, and it looks like the woman who just came back from mat leave was holding her son up to the camera. Lots of comments of 'oh hi Baby name!' and 'doesn't he look big!'

So glad I left early. 😂
---

I agree! However I had a friend to stay this weekend with her little girls aged 5 and 6 and I was really surprised by how they think it's ok to pick up, look through or play with things which are obviously not toys/theirs without asking.

They had even been in my bedside table at some point. They got red pen on my spare room bedding and sofa and scribbled on a really nice notebook I had. And these are not even what you'd usually consider naughty children. It just seems like it was assumed that everything that was reachable by them was fair game.

I would expect that of a toddler and I'd have moved things out of the way, but at their ages I didn't think I'd need to. I am obviously incredibly naive. 😂
I would have been so angry over that :mad:

Reactions: 13
Oh my gosh this reminds me of the time my friend stayed over with her two kids, we spent the whole day doing kid friendly activities and then fed them a kid friendly meal. They were still hungry so she was offering them all the food in my cupboard and fridge including some left over brownies I had baked as a treat for them and was saving the last two for hubby after they had gone. I was so mad 😂

And the time my other friend stayed over and whipped out the potty for her kid to use on my living room floor. I was horrified lol! It was a number 2 the kid wanted to do. In my bloody lounge!!!!
Who the duck just offers kids food out of someone else’s house without asking? Even my boyfriend asks if he can have something to eat or drink.
---

The comments on the FB are understandably mixed. The "you were a kid once" is my favourite. Yes but we had disciplined (and didnt grow up violent), behaved better and didn't scream 24/7 😆
We may have all been kids once but that didn’t entitle us to go wherever we wanted or do what we pleased. I don’t see why people have such issues with child free places I’m sure even parents want so time away from kids.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I don't want children and am very happy being child free. I work hard and if I choose to go out to a bar with friends, to spend my hard earned money, the last thing I want to hear is some brat screaming at the table opposite. Take them in to the hallway until they calm down. Tell them that it's not ok to scream when other people are trying to enjoy themselves.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I don't want children and am very happy being child free. I work hard and if I choose to go out to a bar with friends, to spend my hard earned money, the last thing I want to hear is some brat screaming at the table opposite. Take them in to the hallway until they calm down. Tell them that it's not ok to scream when other people are trying to enjoy themselves.
A thousand times THIS

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yes to all of this. I don't understand why parents these days think it's cruel to discipline a child. I'm not saying that the screamer should get a smack but there are more effective, normal ways to teach them rules and boundaries than a sugary "We don't do thay here babyy ✨💗✨". Some don't even bother with that. Disrespectful to everyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

The comments on the FB are understandably mixed. The "you were a kid once" is my favourite. Yes but we had disciplined (and didnt grow up violent), behaved better and didn't scream 24/7 😆
Yeah and as a kid I bleeping hated kids my age when I was little!!! I found them so annoying. I understand where Mrs Trunchbull comes from now with not standing kids, lmao 😂.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
The house next door to mine (a terrace) has been empty for about 5 months but it sounds like someone is moving in…is it bad that I’m praying they don’t have kids?! I could not bear the screaming/running around 24/7…😬

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The house next door to mine (a terrace) has been empty for about 5 months but it sounds like someone is moving in…is it bad that I’m praying they don’t have kids?! I could not bear the screaming/running around 24/7…😬
Praying for you

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I hope that it turns out okay for you!🙏

I used to live in a terrace & my neighbours kids were 6 & 7 when I moved in and 10 & 12 when I moved out and oh my god the noise from them over the five years was horrendous… stampeding around like a herd of elephants, screeching, shouting and banging around. One of them had a habit of signing and whistling and it would wake me up.

I was so happy when I moved into a detached house 🤣

I hope that it turns out okay for you!🙏

I used to live in a terrace & my neighbours kids were 6 & 7 when I moved in and 10 & 12 when I moved out and oh my god the noise from them over the five years was horrendous… stampeding around like a herd of elephants, screeching, shouting and banging around. One of them had a habit of signing and whistling and it would wake me up.

I was so happy when I moved into a detached house 🤣
We lived in a semi where the stairs were open in the lounge. The kids next door used to thunder up and down the stairs so hard that our doors would shake in the frames and the lights would be swinging.

One day they were also screaming as then came down and ot honestly sounded like they were being thrown down the stairs! So we knocked to have a polite word and all hell broke loose.

She wanted to know why we thought her children were horrible when they were, in her words, lovely (she even dragged one to the door for us to see how lovely they were). I said we don't deny they are lovely but they are bleeping noisy and she wouldn't have it. Was a very awkward year of them ignoring us every time they saw us until we moved out to a detached house.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
We lived in a semi where the stairs were open in the lounge. The kids next door used to thunder up and down the stairs so hard that our doors would shake in the frames and the lights would be swinging.

One day they were also screaming as then came down and ot honestly sounded like they were being thrown down the stairs! So we knocked to have a polite word and all hell broke loose.

She wanted to know why we thought her children were horrible when they were, in her words, lovely (she even dragged one to the door for us to see how lovely they were). I said we don't deny they are lovely but they are bleeping noisy and she wouldn't have it. Was a very awkward year of them ignoring us every time they saw us until we moved out to a detached house.
There’s just no need for it all. That’s such a weird thing to do bringing their kids to show you 🤣🤣

Reactions: 5
There’s just no need for it all. That’s such a weird thing to do bringing their kids to show you 🤣🤣
I know it wad so bizarre! She then started with comments like "I will talk to the person who actually owns your house" because we were renting. And I was like great! I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear first hand how nutty you are as we have been telling him for months!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I know it wad so bizarre! She then started with comments like "I will talk to the person who actually owns your house" because we were renting. And I was like great! I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear first hand how nutty you are as we have been telling him for months!
What a crazy person! 🤣🤣 people are blind to their kids behaviour I swear. Someone I work with her adult son is a lazy entitled knob, but yet she seems to justify all his behaviour.

Reactions: 7
When we were househunting I always looked in the neighbours gardens to check there was no kid tit! As it turned out one neighbour has teens which are fine, and the other has grandkids so they’re not there most of the time. Phew 😅 I’d have to sell up and leave if I had a young family next door, duck that!

Once the grandkids started trying to play the piano at 8:50am on a Sunday, I bashed the wall with my water bottle - never heard them again!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I live in a street of bungalows and they are 99% over the age of 60! Dreading when they pass on though if a young family moves in

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.