Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pebbleybeach

Chatty Member
In my previous role, one male manager asked me if I had children and I said “no”. Then my direct manager interjected and said “You don’t, but some day you will”. Then I said “That’s not the topic of this conversation” and gave him the side eye. Then he apologized and said he didn’t know why he said that.

Some men out there still think all women want children.

On the topic of children not being invited to weddings. It’s obviously a right of the future spouses not to invite children, but if I were a parent, I’d be slightly offended. I wouldn’t show up with my children though, I simply would decline attending.
I personally wouldn’t have a childfree wedding but it doesn’t affect me as I’m childfree, it’s up to the couple and lots of parents love them so it’s not my business. The couple need to realise that means some people won’t be able to attend and parents need to realise that people can’t always include children in their weddings for various reasons, so it is sad when it causes issues.

Reactions: 1

TheGlossy

VIP Member
out of interest, why would you be offended?
I think it’s a) not all parents have the ability to get someone to look after the children while they’re attending the wedding; b) if you know I have children and we’re close, I simply find it rude; c) as a parent, disregarding my child as if they’re an inconvenience in your perfect wedding landscape is not right.

I’d rather not attend.

I know children are sometimes unruly and can ruin the atmosphere, but that’s just my perspective. I reiterate, I don’t have children.

• Haha

Warpaint

VIP Member
Eileen in Seinfeld all day every day 🫡

She has a strong personality, is never afraid to call it like it is and never changed her mind about children. Actually, I don't remember her mentioning wanting them once.
Do you mean Elaine?

Kind of ironic seen as Julia Louis-Dreyfus was pregnant throughout some of the seasons. They were going to do a 'Elaine gets fat' storyline but decided to drop it lol.

cc_2013

VIP Member
I think it’s a) not all parents have the ability to get someone to look after the children while they’re attending the wedding; b) if you know I have children and we’re close, I simply find it rude; c) as a parent, disregarding my child as if they’re an inconvenience in your perfect wedding landscape is not right.

I’d rather not attend.

I know children are sometimes unruly and can ruin the atmosphere, but that’s just my perspective. I reiterate, I don’t have children.
Out of interest, are you married?

penny1992

Chatty Member
I see my parents every few years as I live abroad and flights to the Uk are extorionate. They do not really put the effort in to visit us either soooo yeah! It's a pain to get to where I am from as it is a tiny city with no direct flights from where I live.

FilthyGorgeous

Shopping centers during Christmas time are worst. Kids screaming their heads off, running all over the place, crying. Not for me. Headache inducing. I still wonder how in this day and age some parents want multiple kids.
They’re definitely having sex on their good days.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Those of you that don't like dogs in shops/cafes, (which I totally get), don't ever come to Central Lake District (Keswick/Windermere area)
I can't go in a local pub without hearing a bark or growl when I walk in. As it's heaving I've no idea where the dog is. It's probably scared cos there are so many people and it's a bit dark in there. Have often seen dogs being dragged out of pubs cos they didn't want to leave!!! Literally dragged bodily along the carpet. 😄😂

shadowcat5

VIP Member
Of course, I'm not suggesting I am jealous of parents - I would take no maternity leave over genuine maternity leave and a child ANY day of the week haha!!

I just find it frustrating that there's nothing employers offer people who will never take that perk - vs people who are off for 9 months at a go (multiple times) whilst we do their work for them :rolleyes:
oh I wasn’t suggesting you or anyone was!

I get what you mean and it is frustrating and I do think there should be some kind of perk for those who won’t ever have maternity leave or have to leave early etc.
I’m not sure how it would work cause it’d probably be discrimination 🙄 if child free people got paid extra or extra days off but it would be more fair.

That said, for me personally, the perk already exists 😂😂

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I wonder how they'll fund the pension if no one's prepared to have children? They'll probably get rid of it - any excuse. 🙄

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Yes, but if you end up coming to harm or near harm or your needs aren’t being met, social services can intervene and state you cannot stay in your home and must go into a care home instead. Whether it’s state funded or not is another matter, but they can prevent a person from going home.
No my point wasn’t about going home but about which home.

Pebbleybeach

Chatty Member
All of the above, freedom, spare money, quiet peaceful house, can pursue my own interests (which include badminton, sewing and house music festivals/Ibiza). Not to sound wanky but I really like my body, I’m a slim size 6 hourglass (the “made up” Mumsnet physique lol, though mine is due to IBS) and I love crop tops and skimpy summer clothes. I’d hate to have a mum tum, or worse, incontinence and a shredded vagina.
What do you sew?

Millais

Chatty Member
Is she deranged?

Also if I was a parent I'd be pissed if the aunt was sharing pics of my kids on a group chat.
It’s close friends from primary school who all know her sister as well, but her brother in law doesn’t really know us so I’m not sure what he’d think. She works part time in a low paid job so she’s living with her parents (I know lots of people are still at home in their 30s, but this isn’t through real necessity. Our hometown is an inexpensive area). Next time I see her I’m going to encourage her to take the extra hours. Her own life is sort of on hold to be a part time stay at home aunt. She wants to meet someone and have kids soon - with what money?

shadowcat5

VIP Member
I didn't have my nephews at mine.

It was a weekday so 2 of them were at school anyway and the other was 18 months old and we just didn't want him there 🤣

His mum (my SIL) at first said what am I meant to do with him and I said leave him with your mum (who looks after him 3 days a week anyway) she said OK and that was that!

If she had said she wouldn't come because of it I would have said fine. I doubt Mr HoGi's brother would have missed the wedding because his kid couldn't come, he regularly goes on holiday and leaves his wife at home with the kids!

A friend of a friend got married last year and the venue had a policy if there are more than 10 kids there has to be a children's Entertainer during dinner!! I couldn't think of anything worse during a wedding.
Tbf I wouldn’t have my niece and nephew there either (not bio though just my best friends kids) but I could see why someone would be upset. I think my friend (who is like a sister to me; hence why I call her kids my niece and nephew and spoil them as such) would probably be a bit upset if I said I didn’t want them there but she’d get over it and respect the decision. I don’t begrudge her that either.
i wouldn’t be pissed off if my kids weren’t invited and I also wouldn’t care if people were upset I hadn’t invited their kids but, in the spirit of fairness, could see why someone would be.