Childfree by choice #6 Sleeping well at night, petition for childfree flights

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think we need to be careful with this. While I get that it can seem like a pisstake (and it sometimes definitely is), if paid maternity leave didn’t exist, every woman who had a baby would be forced out of the workplace. The men are not going to take this on on a 50:50 basis (even though they should), and it would force even more women into poverty.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally, totally get it, but I try to see it as the price I pay for getting to escape having children. If you gave me 6-12 months off on full pay with the only condition being that I had to look after a baby alone for most of that time, I’d chuck myself off a bleeping bridge. Let them have it if they want it.

It’s so true about diversity initiatives though. Woman and mother are seen as interchangeable in the workplace, which holds the rest of us back.
I do get it of course, I’m not a monster! It’s just you can see the frustration when parents just seem to be handed everything and you’re sat there with nothing (the only good thing when you’re sat with nothing is when you’re sat with no kids).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I was speaking to a childfree colleague at work recently, and I didn’t even realise it but she works 90%. She has 1 day off a fortnight to just chill, play video games, improve her MH. I was shocked because I’ve never known a childfree/young person to be part time - I’ve always wanted to do it but couldn’t afford it and thought it would never get approved. I’m glad someone in my team has set a precedent because in future I’d definitely consider something similar - can do a college course or something on the side!
Because I don’t have children to pay for, and I earn good money I work 4 days a week maximum.

Reactions: 8
I wonder what my colleagues would think if I handed my notice in to become a house wife and be supported by my husband without having children.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I wonder what my colleagues would think if I handed my notice in to become a house wife and be supported by my husband without having children.
I know kids need collecting extra but so many women don’t go back, that gives them 6 hours a day to themselves. Yes possibly cleaning etc but still it’s not working. But that’s not frowned upon because there is a child.

If we had the money I would in a heart beat. Time to lunch, shop, clean and do hobbies. Yes please.

Reactions: 6
She’s quite the revolutionist, and so is her company for allowing it!! Thanks for sharing this :)

I was speaking to a childfree colleague at work recently, and I didn’t even realise it but she works 90%. She has 1 day off a fortnight to just chill, play video games, improve her MH. I was shocked because I’ve never known a childfree/young person to be part time - I’ve always wanted to do it but couldn’t afford it and thought it would never get approved. I’m glad someone in my team has set a precedent because in future I’d definitely consider something similar - can do a college course or something on the side!
@rosemarina
Agree completely that women need proper maternity rights. We just need to move to the next chapter and afford more perks to those who haven’t added to overpopulation :p

Reactions: 7
Because I don’t have children to pay for, and I earn good money I work 4 days a week maximum.
Going part time is like my career goal 😂 I just thought it would be frowned upon without kids but it should be normalised - if you have the money why not? I’ve not been in a position to do it as was saving for a house, then doing up the house and now cost of living crisis (plus I actually really like job #7 and think this might finally be THE ONE where I stay longer than 5 minutes, don’t browse Daily Mail all day and try and get promoted). But once I get promotion/payrise then 80% here I come!

Reactions: 8
Going part time is like my career goal 😂 I just thought it would be frowned upon without kids but it should be normalised - if you have the money why not? I’ve not been in a position to do it as was saving for a house, then doing up the house and now cost of living crisis (plus I actually really like job #7 and think this might finally be THE ONE where I stay longer than 5 minutes, don’t browse Daily Mail all day and try and get promoted). But once I get promotion/payrise then 80% here I come!
I have felt shamed telling people and generally I say nothing and people assume I work full time. I’m not sure if even some of my closest friend know. I do take on more house work but even working 4 days I earn more than my husband so 💁🏻‍♀️
I have been lucky that I have never needed to work full time since graduating. I do also do ‘side hussels’ to have other income.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
In
Thank you ❤❤❤

Exactly! There is so much to live for in this life. It is sad that a lot of people think that living anything other than the 'traditional' family life doesn't mean anything.
I think they're scared of anyone who isn't "normal" i.e. they don't have kids.

Reactions: 6
That's the life of the partners of all the executives at my company.

I work for an American tech company and the executives' salaries are just insane. Their wives all look like models and they just do nothing. No jobs just vibes.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I think we need to be careful with this. While I get that it can seem like a pisstake (and it sometimes definitely is), if paid maternity leave didn’t exist, every woman who had a baby would be forced out of the workplace. The men are not going to take this on on a 50:50 basis (even though they should), and it would force even more women into poverty.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally, totally get it, but I try to see it as the price I pay for getting to escape having children. If you gave me 6-12 months off on full pay with the only condition being that I had to look after a baby alone for most of that time, I’d chuck myself off a bleeping bridge. Let them have it if they want it.

It’s so true about diversity initiatives though. Woman and mother are seen as interchangeable in the workplace, which holds the rest of us back.
I agree 100%. Paid maternity and the right to it is one of the pillars of having better gender equality in the workplace. I think it's great and although it seems like a bitter pill, tbh I don't want 6 months off to look after a newborn.

What I disagree with is some of the other little bonuses afforded to parents i.e. If a parent is allowed to WFH but a non parent isn't, that is discriminatory. Same thing for part time working, flexible work policies or how annual leave is granted. If your workplace allows it, it should be for everyone.

Reactions: 14
Yep, I 100% agree with that. My most recent employer was really good about that, actually.

Reactions: 1
Yep, I 100% agree with that. My most recent employer was really good about that, actually.
My current place isn't too bad either but there is still a slightly subtle undertone of favouritism towards parents.

Ive mentioned it before I think on here, but I take my leave at times of year when it's often cheaper to travel, like many childfree folk. Our company workload naturally slows for certain periods due to lots of parents time off ie Easter, mid July. My boss went off on one once about how I wasn't taking my leave at 'normal' times of year like 'everyone else' . Thankfully nothing else ever came of it but it made me self conscious for a bit about booking for example, 2 weeks off in September or January.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
My current place isn't too bad either but there is still a slightly subtle undertone of favouritism towards parents.

Ive mentioned it before I think on here, but I take my leave at times of year when it's often cheaper to travel, like many childfree folk. Our company workload naturally slows for certain periods due to lots of parents time off ie Easter, mid July. My boss went off on one once about how I wasn't taking my leave at 'normal' times of year like 'everyone else' . Thankfully nothing else ever came of it but it made me self conscious for a bit about booking for example, 2 weeks off in September or January.
Your employer should be pleased that you aren’t taking leaving at the ‘normal’ times of year

Reactions: 10
I’m going to go against the grain here and say that the 9 months of maternity leave isn’t really all that much of a perk.
Okay so you do get to be off work full pay for 9 months, big perk and see where people are coming from, but when you come back to work you’re basically just working to put your kid in nursery, unless you’re lucky enough to have family willing to help out.
Now I know people are going to say “well you chose to have a child” but realistically, 9 months of work full pay to then end up with less money and still working is not a decent trade off for me. I’d rather be in work and have my money to spend, also be able to use my annual leave for me and not have to keep it for school holidays 😂😂

Reactions: 2
I’m going to go against the grain here and say that the 9 months of maternity leave isn’t really all that much of a perk.
Okay so you do get to be off work full pay for 9 months, big perk and see where people are coming from, but when you come back to work you’re basically just working to put your kid in nursery, unless you’re lucky enough to have family willing to help out.
Now I know people are going to say “well you chose to have a child” but realistically, 9 months of work full pay to then end up with less money and still working is not a decent trade off for me. I’d rather be in work and have my money to spend, also be able to use my annual leave for me and not have to keep it for school holidays 😂😂
Of course, I'm not suggesting I am jealous of parents - I would take no maternity leave over genuine maternity leave and a child ANY day of the week haha!!

I just find it frustrating that there's nothing employers offer people who will never take that perk - vs people who are off for 9 months at a go (multiple times) whilst we do their work for them :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Of course, I'm not suggesting I am jealous of parents - I would take no maternity leave over genuine maternity leave and a child ANY day of the week haha!!

I just find it frustrating that there's nothing employers offer people who will never take that perk - vs people who are off for 9 months at a go (multiple times) whilst we do their work for them :rolleyes:
oh I wasn’t suggesting you or anyone was!

I get what you mean and it is frustrating and I do think there should be some kind of perk for those who won’t ever have maternity leave or have to leave early etc.
I’m not sure how it would work cause it’d probably be discrimination 🙄 if child free people got paid extra or extra days off but it would be more fair.

That said, for me personally, the perk already exists 😂😂

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.