Childfree by choice #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This
I've recently been in Paris and we went for dinner in an Italian restaurant in a busy neighbourhood. Came two families consecutively, and one sat right next to us, but the kids were so well behaved we barely heard them! I was genuinely surprised as I'm used to utter chaos back in UK 😅
I've noticed that abroad too... If you do hear kids playing up, they are usually British!

Reactions: 11
I can't go to a historic place / on a day trip somewhere etc without it being infested with children running around
“Infested” 🤣
I’m beginning to sympathise with the head Witch in “The Witches”, she just wanted peace and quiet 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I see people on the discontent thread complaining about the cost of childcare. It is so expensive and it seems many women don't go back to work for a while because of that reason!!

I see people on the discontent thread complaining about the cost of childcare. It is so expensive and it seems many women don't go back to work for a while because of that reason!!
I am childfree by choice but simultaneously also imagined having kids at some point. I'm now 33 so time is ticking!

The main barrier is childcare costs. We can afford to only have 1 wage and childcare costs will wipe out most of one of the wages, so would effectively be down to one wage anyway!

We have a combined salary of nearly £100k but it still isn't attainable. I know we could cut back on some things, but we need two cars and the mortgage isn't going to go down overnight

Reactions: 7
I am childfree by choice but simultaneously also imagined having kids at some point. I'm now 33 so time is ticking!

The main barrier is childcare costs. We can afford to only have 1 wage and childcare costs will wipe out most of one of the wages, so would effectively be down to one wage anyway!

We have a combined salary of nearly £100k but it still isn't attainable. I know we could cut back on some things, but we need two cars and the mortgage isn't going to go down overnight
Same here, my main reason was the costs as all our families live far away so we would have to rely solely on nursery, and last I checked (a couple of years), it was £80 a day!!

Reactions: 6
Same here, my main reason was the costs as all our families live far away so we would have to rely solely on nursery, and last I checked (a couple of years), it was £80 a day!!
God, and people tell me I must be minted because I have a couple of horses! (Average cost over a year about £200 a month!)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m 39 and as I’ve got older my mind hasn’t changed and I have never ever felt the so called ‘biological clock’

I think it’s bollocks made up by men/society to control women
So women think they better have kids soon because of this mystical biological clock or if you’re over the hill and not pregnant you’re faulty and there is something wrong with you because that biological clock didn’t tick

for me there is absolutely nothing appealing about having kids
I feel sorry for friends who have kids but I’m sure they think the same about me

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Yeh we don't have the option of grandparents either.

My mum lives 45 mins away. She is 73 and still working! And has alcohol issues, not sure I would trust her!

My MIL/FIL are also late 60s early 70s and they live over an hour away. FIL has cancer and they are both part of a religious cult. Soooo yeh they wouldn't be looking after any kids either

I wouldn't want them to anyway as I am of the opinion you chose to have the kid so you should deal with that, but the option would have been nice haha

• Haha
Reactions: 10
God, and people tell me I must be minted because I have a couple of horses! (Average cost over a year about £200 a month!)
About £200 I wish 😂 I spend probably triple just for my one. He is on part livery though so if I was to move to DIY it could be done cheaper but I like my bed too much 😂

Reactions: 4
This is my absolute bug bear
The open attitude that you’re loaded because you don’t have kids and I think yep I probably am compared to you
We go on loads of holidays each year and the amount of times I’ve been scrutinised or reminded by colleagues or friends that this is such a luxury and almost like we’re being too self indulgent

• Heart
Reactions: 15
About £200 I wish 😂 I spend probably triple just for my one. He is on part livery though so if I was to move to DIY it could be done cheaper but I like my bed too much 😂
Two hairy natives, one of whom is retired, and I'm lucky enough to be able to keep them at home with enough land that we don't really need much extra hay over winter.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m 39 and as I’ve got older my mind hasn’t changed and I have never ever felt the so called ‘biological clock’

I think it’s bollocks made up by men/society to control women
So women think they better have kids soon because of this mystical biological clock or if you’re over the hill and not pregnant you’re faulty and there is something wrong with you because that biological clock didn’t tick

for me there is absolutely nothing appealing about having kids
I feel sorry for friends who have kids but I’m sure they think the same about me
Couldn't agree more. I'm 43 and I've never heard my so called biological clock ticking.

Reactions: 12
Friend always said her and her husband were never having kids either. Ther relationship took a bit of a 😬 last year and now she’s pregnant. She is the most miserable pregnant person I’ve ever seen. Also seems to have forgotten that they told literally everyone they didn’t want kids 😂 it is the strangest situation

• Haha
I can’t stand my friends who have had kids with men they turn out to dislike and think it’s then ok to moan about it

friend A says she doesn’t want to ‘demasculate’ her husband but he needs to earn more so they can afford nursery bills 🙄

friend b so miserable with partner with her first child
He refused to give up his weekend football to help out , there is no affection and he’s a man boy who stays up all night playing video games….so she decided to have another kid with him and now she’s even more miserable because he had to ‘come to terms with her second pregnancy’

Friend c just makes digs at her husband that he’s dull and boring ….so she’s trying for a second baby

Friend d has two kids with her abusive ex who she knew was abusive but still went ahead and had kids with him
Now they are forever bonded
She still indulges him and feels sorry for him and their kids are totally messed up by all the abuse they endure from their vile fuckwit of a dad. And my friend moans but it angers me she could be so bleeping selfish and stupid to bring kids into the mix.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Couldn't agree more. I'm 43 and I've never heard my so called biological clock ticking.
You never will, the biological clock thing was debunked but people still love to ‘use it against us’!

It’s so bizarre to me can you imagine if I tried to convince everyone I met to be an accountant;

How long have you been an accountant?
I’m not an accountant
What? Wow, when are you going to be an accountant?
I'm no
Why?
oh, I don’t want to be an accountant
But you’d love it! Just try it!
It’s a big commitment
Yeah, but once you’re an accountant it’ll all be worth it
It costs a lot of money
You can’t put a price on being an accountant
I just really don’t want to be an accountant
Ok, well your choice but you’ll regret it when you’re retired and you’ve never experienced being an accountant

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.